Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What I Do Not Want To See In "Star Trek X"[SPOILERS] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What I Do Not Want To See In "Star Trek X"[SPOILERS]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why in the hell would we see Voyager's sick bay posing for the Ent-E's?

Because it posed for the E-E's in First Contact and Insurrection? (Actually, I forget if there was a sickbay scene in Insurrection, but ...)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt see any problem with it.. sets get reused all the time, and i think the producers deserve a pat on the back for the creativity, because the redecorated sickbay Sovereign style so it fit right in with the ship.

Set reuses i dont approve of:
Using TNG corridors as 1701-A corridors in Final Frontier.. they didnt take down the 24th century signage. The ST:VI corridors were redresses of the same sets, but looked infinitely better
Using the 1701-D engine room in ST:VI as the 1701-A engine room

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that just goes to show how well done the reuse of the sickbay set was...I've seen the movie a dozen times and it never stuck out at me. Yah, the tech in the room looked similar to that in use aboard contemporary starships...but I see nothing wrong with that.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I do to a certain extent.

The Sovereign is a much larger ship with a much larger crew. This would neccessitate a larger sickbay.

The Sickbay would be one of the few rooms aboard that would actually HAVE to be substantially unique among starships.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain Mike,

You're aware that the TNG corridors and sickbay were redresses of The Motion Picture sets to begin with, weren't you?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course.. but by the time they had been labeled in mauve and lavender signs (for the 1701-D residential sets..) they really didnt fit the bill for the 1701-A.. In ST:V the TNG door signs and beige and blue color schemes and carpets were still there, but for ST:VI they added the original chrome finishes and metal floors as they had been shown in ST:1-3.

They were actually built for Star Trek: Phase II, used for TMP when they decided to make the TV series a movie instead, used for ST 2-3, then refurbished to be the 1701-D corridors, reused as 1701-A corridors, used as 1701-D one last time for Generations and then taken down.

Quite a story, fifteen+ years of boldly going around the same corner and then resetting the shot to use the same intersection so it looks like the next one where no man.. where no one has gone before

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The actual sick bay for a Sovvie would have to be larger and quite different than an Intrepid's, yes. But what little we saw of sick bay in FC was just fine using the Voyager set. We didn't see the whole room. With the lighting as low as it was, I have no trouble believing that the actual room aboard the ship is quite different than Voyager's.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

or that it was composed of many rooms.. the VGR sickbay isnt much bigger than the TOS, TMP-TWOK or TOS sickbays.. the only problem with the VGR sickbay is that it is all one room.. the previous three sickbays were established to be much larger facilities, of operating suites & labs & doctors offices (by redressing the regular sickbay to fit the weeks script) that we ended up seeing during the course of the shows, even though we saw the main room most often. It can of course be assumed that the Sovereign has a larger sickbay than Voyager, but we only saw the main diagnostic area.

--------------------

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that "Voyager" sickbay has been struck (it has, has it not?), we may not see the "Enterprise" sickbay at all. Of course, Dr. Crusher will have even less to do, then . . .
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The actual sick bay for a Sovvie would have to be larger and quite different than an Intrepid's, yes. But what little we saw of sick bay in FC was just fine using the Voyager set. We didn't see the whole room. With the lighting as low as it was, I have no trouble believing that the actual room aboard the ship is quite different than Voyager's.

Reasonable speculation. But similarity implies further similarity.

It was an understandable set reuse, if a dissapointng one.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you guys, but the Ent-E/Voyager "style" seen in the corridors, Voyager's bridge, etc. seems rather cold compared to the Ent-D and the more colorful TOS Enterprise. There's just too much gray for my eyes!

The oddest set usage I noticed is in Generations when all the lights on the E-D go out. What was the point of repainting the bridge when they dimmed the lights so low?

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since we all know that the doors read the script, perhaps the lights in "Generations" did too, and decided to dim in order to match the "mood" of the movie.
capped
Member # 709

I still dont see why its 'diappointing' for the sickbay set to be reused (realize that at least one of the walls is still the phase II sickbay from 77).. its probably one of the smarter things theyve done, budget wise because with Sovereign color scheme, it looked ike a completely different room, and considering the one year deviation between the commissioning of Voyager and E-E they share a lot of tech in common, just on different scales..

--------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what do you people think about adding a model of the NX-01 Enterprise to Picard's collection. I think it's a bad idea.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not want to see the advanced deployable armor and transphasic torpedoes from the VOY final.

I do not want to see Riker in command, only so the most goddamn powerful ship ever build by Starfleet up to that point can have its shot up stern handled back to it on a gold-pressed latinum platter by some half-baked alien race that Voyager would have no trouble taking to school.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps