Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Is Trek Taboo? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is Trek Taboo?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember being in sixth grade and having a gir l draw a map of the Alpha/Beta quadrants for me.. i knew she liked me but was freaked out with the concept of girls at the time.. i asked her if she was going to see 'Undiscovered Country' and another kid overheard and thought i was asking her out on a date and i got mad at her and told her off because everyone laughed at us...

and i havent had a stable relationship since.

then four years later i got pissed again because she blew my best friend, even though i had decided i liked her at that point....

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. In high school I think I was a "closet" trek lover. No one but one of my best friends and family knew (my dad was the dealer in this case) that I loved those shows. By the time I got into college though, I didn't care what people thought anymore. I can now be seen with some sort of Trek or other Sci-Fi/Fantasy book tucked under my arm.

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Know what I mean, know what I mean?

No, it's not like that. OK, well it was like that for a while, but it's not anymore. (It's getting cold out now, and... NO. Must not.) Anyway...

No, I mean that Star Trek really hadn't come up in conversation before, and with her little comment, rather than uncomfortable silence and stares, it sparked an interesting debate over Kirk v. Picard. Suddenly we had another thing in common. It did turn out to be a very excellent relationship with some kind of bad obsessive stuff from her there at the end, but a good time. And the fact that she was into Star Trek only made it better.

I dunno. The way I look at it, if the person (friend or otherwise) is going to blow you off because you like a particular TV show (or comic book, or video game), then they're probably not worth the effort. No one should be so dismissive. That's not how to be a friend. You don't need to bring it up all the time, but if it's something your into, you're going to talk about it. Deal.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, I won't blow a person off because of something they like and I don't, but that doesn't mean I won't blow off the subject that they like and I don't when it comes around. And I'll tease them, too, and they'll tease me in return, and its all in good fun.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Trek nerds should be picky about who they blow-off. They should just be glad of the experience.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a nerd...I am a gay Trekkie!!!

Simple as that...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an interesting conversation this evening attempting to discern the difference between dweebs, dorks, geeks, and nerds. Several of the distinctions were based upon the genre (fantasy, gothic, victorian, future, space, etc.) or technicality of the obsession/devotion/interest. When I asked where trekkers (dude, get over it, it's still trekkies) fit into all this, the people I was with were ready to define a new category. Ikes!

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know these aren't the official definitions, or anything, but here's the image each word conjures up in my mind...

nerd: I think of this as someone who's fairly brainy and puruses more intellectual activities, to the exclusion of more "normal" activities...

geek: This would be pretty much anyone who's really "into" something. A Trek geek, a computer geek, a sci-fi geek... Hell, I guess you could even have a "sports geek", though I hate to think what that person would be like... :-)

dork: I would probably only apply this to someone who's kind of slow. And I'm not talking about how fast they can run...

dweeb: This makes me think of the traditional image of the guy w/ the black-rimmed taped-up glasses and pocket protector.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a "sports geek" would be a guy who doesn't play the game, but has all the statistics for every team and player in his head. He also probably doesn't read anything else besides about his sport; hence you have wrestling geeks and football geeks and baseball geeks.

There's not a single picture of me in all the 'candid shots' in my high-school yearbook, even though most folks are in there three or four times.

Why?

Every time a guy with the camera showed up, I flashed the Vulcan salute. I think they thought it was a gang sign, or something. They were idiots, anyway.

About four years ago, I was dating this girl for the first time, going to see that movie about the little girls taking pictures of faeries. Our dinner conversation drifted toward reading habits, and I let slip:

"I have every Star Trek book ever written. I'm going to marry the girl who's impressed by that."

She looked right at me and said: "I'm impressed by that."

I nearly choked on my spaghetti.

We're still together.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

bX
Member # 419

Sports Geek: see Jeremy from Sports Night

--------------------

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm suprised you found women who are interested in Trek. It seems whenever I let it slip the conversation is over.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give you a link to illustrate exactly why 'Star Trek' is taboo.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Phlox:
I'm suprised you found women who are interested in Trek. It seems whenever I let it slip the conversation is over.

I found one. In fact, she's as bad as I am when it comes to technobabble. Helps write for our RPG sessions. Did I mention the fact that she's my wife? She also refers to us as The Richard Collective instead of a family. (Somthing to do with the fact that niether of us wants kids...)

They are out there, it just takes some digging to find them.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got four or five of them here...
bX
Member # 419

There are women here?!

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps