Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Novels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Trek Novels
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet and simply how much of the Trek Population actually reads trek books, wheather it be pocket books or hardcovers. A can say i do, i read one every two weeks or so, i'm just wondering how wide spread trekliterature is thats all. Anyway besides the point those of you how do read have probably come to the conclusion that i have...novels are the best!

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... Novels set early in the series are great standalone books, sometimes. I'm finding that the new TNG/DS9/NF/SCE novels are becoming quite internally consistant, which is a nice treat. I'm currently reading "The Battle of Betazed".

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read i think i can remember as far back as...All four Invasion books, the dominion war all four, the return, ship of the line, valient(i think thats how its spelt), Emissary, the romulan prize(good book), i'll say a few more when my brain is clear...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ba-aaaaaack...

I've read all the books. I own a copy of every single one. Some of them rock, some of them are really third-rate. Most of the newer ones (The DS9 Relaunch, the recent TNG ones, the "Eugenics Wars" books, etc.) are in the "Rock" category.

There's a good info/discussion page about the books over at www.psiphi.org, better than the 'official' site, IMHO.

[ May 08, 2002, 12:03: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still waiting for the second Eugenics Wars book to arrive at Coles. I had to order it in. The bastards don't carry Trek HC's anymore... [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading science fiction as long as I've been a Trek fan (since my single-digit years), but I've never read a single Trek novel. I've read hundreds of SF novels and short stories, but for some reason I've never been interested in reading the further adventures of any characters I've seen on screen. I inherited a complete set of Blish novelizations, but I use them for reference only.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read quite a few of the Trek books; I liked NF particularly. One thing I don't get though is how few Trek books shops actually have in stock; they always seem to sell quite a few so it remains a mystery for me...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read most of them, and I laregely agree with everyone else's comments. The early novels were generally good, those between about 1988-1996 were mostly crap, and the trend has been accelerating to greatness lately. In the last two years, there have been very few duds.

My only exception is New Frontier... I've never been a fan of Peter David, and NF's biggest selling points also happen to be the same things I don't like about his writing. I like the idea, I like his way of tying together loose ends and whatnot, but I don't dig his writing style at all.

The DS9 relaunch, however, has been genius. Diplomatic Implausibility and Immortal Coil stand out as stand-alones. I also have high hopes for the TOS reboot coming soon.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO many of the early novels were wayyy off base to be considered good Star Trek, with the exception of Diane Duane, Diane Carey, "The Final Reflection" and all the others i liked, then after Paramount's 'purge' of fandom and supporting character elements, things became more cohesive, but incredibly bland.. not quite in the time period you mention, but an accurate estimation (there are still some favorites in there too) The new focus is not on series (there was a time when it felt like they were publishing any crappy novel they had sitting around just to keep them coming on a monthly basis rather than waiting for a good story to come in), rather the new focus lies in 'concept books'.. they began this around "Day of Honor" and "Invasion!" when they started having series that crossed over between the many different franchises, taking advantage of their strengths and differences to make each one fit thematically with its source material. Now that they are on track, I just hope to see some effort to reconcile older stories and the writers that were the heart & soul of their publishing that were unceremoniously sacked by the wierdness of the last couple of years of the 80s when Paramount forbade any interesting concepts from their novels.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to be contrary, I think Star Trek books are actively dangerous to science fiction.
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
elaborate
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can it wait until sometime this evening? I've got ten or eleven essays to read before my nonfiction class at 6:00. But as soon as I get back, I'll be all geared up to release the hounds of culture, 'kay?
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Well... Novels set early in the series are great standalone books, sometimes. I'm finding that the new TNG/DS9/NF/SCE novels are becoming quite internally consistant, which is a nice treat. I'm currently reading "The Battle of Betazed".

Erm SCE? What? [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
Member # 709

Starfleet Corps of Engineers.. its Pocket's first e-book only line of short stories (although now they are publishing them on paper too! yay!).. Its about a Starfleet Engineering team on the USS daVinci led by Sonya Gomez, and master controlled by Scotty from Earth, with sometimes guest stars of LaForge or Nog, and a cast of other character, most of whom have ppeared or are related to characters from all the other major Trek series.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Just to be contrary, I think Star Trek books are actively dangerous to science fiction.

"Actively Dangerous"? By what, hunting them down and shooting them with big guns?

Are we being a bit reactionary here Simon?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps