Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Novels (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Trek Novels
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not bold in my browser...

And thank you for bringing that up. One of the things -- if not the overriding theme -- I'm dedicating my life to is the expansion and proliferation of what started as Gene's philosophy of Technology Unchained. That is, high technology pervading every aspect of our lives -- even moreso than it does already -- but remaining completely unobtrusive. *heh* A world where you don't need a degree in computer science to write a report.

And a very, very big part of that is the humanist side of things... Reading and deep ideas, debating intellectual conundra, building communities rather than tearing them apart -- in ways never before possible or dreamed of... Nudging mass media in the direction of intelligent entertainment, rather than doggerel...

I know one essential element is the near-total restructuring of our educational system. The one we have in place now, wherever one happens to be, are all variations on an outmoded concept. We'll see...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Human = technology.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Personally, I can't stand Robert Jordan's writing style.
GASP!

quote:
Uh, good, because it's awful?
double gasp!!! *fingers in ears shouting LALALALALALALALALAL !!! I AM NOT GOING TO HEAR IT!!!!!!* the series might be long, but it's great! have you guys read his fallon's blood series (it's historical fiction)? great stuff! those were written by "o'neil" who was a psuedonym for "jordan" who of course is a pseudonym for "rigney". in terms of star trek/star wars, i love some and hate some. i inhereited a box of like 40 star trek books. 10 i read and enjoyed (your average 300 page trek book can keep me entetained for 4 hours before i finish, so they are nice one sitters), but the other 30 i read the first 20 pages of and then threw them against a wall. i love some the star wars stuff, but it is basically the same way. some is great (zahn comes to mind) and some is terrible. just how it goes. in terms of the general public, i know a lot of people who don't really like sci-fi (or claim not to) who were brought into the fold with media tie in books and then graduated to bear and asimov.

--jacob

[ May 06, 2002, 13:39: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOC - Benjita is currently resisting the urge to type a new thread about what is considered Science Fiction, and his arguments about Fantasy (such as Lord of the Rings, Willow, etc.) and how they shoudn't be grouped together with SF. He was tempted to write a full dissertation, but decided to keep things in his head where they belong.

BIC - I agree with EdipisReks in that only about 1/4 of the Star Trek books are worth the money paid for them. That's why the books I have are either bought from the library at 10 cents a piece (libraries have great sales, esp. on old SF books), bought from yard sales/rummage sales for the same price or less, or given to me by my mother after she gets done with them. Luckily for me, I started reading Star Trek books during the very early days, books like "Yesterday's Son" (which was like a part ii of the episode), "Dreadnought!" (though we have our qualms about three-nacell warp design), and "The IDIC Epidemic" were good books that pulled me into reading Star Trek books. However, Star Wars, I ended up starting with books from the 75% that are sub-par, so I didn't care too much for continuing Star Wars reading.

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i started out with zahn's star wars books, so i was pulled in to the series through them. a lot of them are mung, but a lot are good.

--jacob

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
have you guys read his fallon's blood series (it's historical fiction)?
I'm not quite sure where to start, but first, is there a name generator for this stuff? "Fallon's Blood series", "Amazid's Sword Saga", "Tepid-mousemat Oath concurrency of Books".

And, to put it simply, "Historical Fiction"? That's a what now?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i hope you are joking, as historical fiction has been around as long as fiction in general has . [Roll Eyes]

--jacob

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read several TNG novel, and several of them are very good. I recommend:
Dark Mirror
Immortal Coil
The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh series of novels
and the Star Fleet Corps of Engineering books.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps