Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Novels (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Trek Novels
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
????????????????

[ April 23, 2002, 20:39: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, exchange that with Number of the Beast and it's almost a mercy killing.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by koy'peled Oy'tio:
Sweet and simply how much of the Trek Population actually reads trek books, wheather it be pocket books or hardcovers.

Much as I'm enjoying Sol's little diversion, I'll just answer the original question.

I believe it's been mentioned on Psi Phi's Book BBS that the best-of-the-best-selling Trek paperbacks these days print 10,000 copies. (I could be wrong, but this is the number that sticks in my head)

A low-rated episode of Enterprise pulls in 5 million viewers.

So, conservatively speaking, we could surmise that at most 0.2% of Trek viewers read the novels.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

PsyLiam
"Actively Dangerous"? By what, hunting them down and shooting them with big guns?

Are we being a bit reactionary here Simon?

is reactionary even a word?

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. And so is dictionary.

[Wink]

[ April 24, 2002, 08:58: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you tell us Koy, you're the writer....
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I started to write a response, but then I thought I might want to ruminate over it for awhile, so I was writing it in Word, for later posting. But it's grown a bit, and I fear it is now far outside the boundaries of this discussion (not to mention the boundaries of my own abilities; it mentions Gilgamesh, for heaven's sake). So...I don't know.
capped
Member # 709

I understand that Trek books are overly commercialized, and often are quite unimaginative (or they were, especially before the current editorial program).. but i also understand that what a lot of people consider to be 'literary' sci-fi just doesnt interest me an iota sometimes, especially some of the drier stuff.. i think that our impressions of what people should be taking away from the reading experience are different.

But then again this depends on the definition of sci-fi.. there was just a thread that dealt with this in Trek Lit at TrekBBS, where we decided by the standards of what sci-fi is, sometimes Trek shouldnt even be considered 'sci-fi', its more 'fantasy'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The fact that you're even using the term "sci-fi" says volumes.
capped
Member # 709

I just don't like typing the whole thing out.. good point though..

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. The literary types either use "SF" or "Speculative Fiction" because they think it makes them look smart instead of pretentious.

Same with "Counterfactual" instead of "Alternate History."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I can't speak for the literary types, but I just say science fiction, because that's what the word is.
capped
Member # 709

You get a trophy for never abbreviating anything in your life. Here's a rag, go polish it.

--------------------

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read some, but I forgot which ones..

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Er...how is SF less an abbreviation than sci-fi?

The reason the latter is a loaded term is because it was used by "mainstream" sources to refer to all that childish stuff those magazines were publishing.

Anyway, I've finished my incredibly wordy, intensely boring, and ultimately painful post about the subject. I don't discuss the sci-fi (happy?) ghetto in it, though. But I don't want to make it any more wordy, dull, or painful. Not just yet, anyway.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps