Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » It all comes down to one thing: Story (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It all comes down to one thing: Story
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm an Enterprise nay-sayer. To those who look forward to the new show, that means I'm a continuity-obsessed nerd who thinks Berman and Braga are the sperm of the Devil. Fine. I think those people who'll watch it without question are shallow individuals who can't bear the thought of not having a bloody TV show to give meaning to their lives. Now, let's move on. . .

Ths issue of continuity - how important it is, and so forth - has been done to death. So too has the question over the target audience, but I'd like to look at it in a different way. I'll get back to B&B later.

We're told that Enterprise is returning to the very soul of Star Trek. This is simultaneously a very clever idea, and a very brave one.

Clever, because Star Trek is a part of popular culture - and by 'Star Trek' I mean TOS. People who remember Kirk will identify with Archer, see McCoy in Tucker, Sulu in Mayweather, Uhura in Sato, and Spock in T'Pol. They'll click with setting the phase(r) pistol on stun, beaming down and "Ahead Warp 5."

It's brave because it's so easy to screw up. And, while they may not care, they run the risk of alienating the hardcore fans who've kept them employed this far. It'd be VERY ironic if you people - who never really got Star Trek, grew up on Star Trek: Funny Forehead of the Week, really liked Star Trek: Space Battle of the Week and got so annoyed with Star Trek: Spatial Anomaly of the Week - ended up hating Star Trek: Continuity Nightmare because it wasn't what you'd come to expect expect after 14 years of Braga fodder.

Which is where story comes in. If there's one thing I can say with certainty after all these years here, it's that story doesn't matter to the likes of 'us.' "The Sound of Her Voice" was a nice little story but all I've ever seen discussed about it here was what class the Olympia might be.

Trek has gotten really stale. Even the non-arc eps of DS9 were pretty turgid most of the time. Why? Because the stories weren't very good. In a fundamental sense, the crews were encountering much the same situations that, say, David Banner did when he came to a new town in The Incredible Hulk. That's a sweeping generalization, which most of you will nitpick in a way only teenagers can. Indulge me in my aged vices.

Berman and Braga are partly to blame for this. Voyager may have been a very flawed show, but it could have been turned around. Look at Babylon 5 - something I know most of you REALLY hate to do, but indulge me once more. It survived the departure of its leading man after one season, and turned it into a bonus. Shame it couldn't do the same with the departure of its leading lady in the last season. . . All I'm sayting is, Voyager could havebeen turned around.

But we're also partly to blame. Why should they put a lot of time into the story and the actors when, in the final analysis, just giving us a glimpse of a starship with a partly-visible registry will keep us occupied for months?

So. Never mind that the SS Enterprise is just an Akira with its nacelles pointing upwards (and it is: no amount of "the hull's a slightly different shape" apologism can contradict that). Also, no matter that they CAN make contact with, say, the Betazoids without violating any continuity that'll really matter. They need good stories. Different, unusual, X-Files-like episodes that make you say "whoa, neverseen that before." A good arc structure that leaves you guessing where they're going with it, not telegraphing each new move like The Jem'Hadar - "oh no! These are our new enemies and they're really mean!"

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not confident, but I want to see what happens. After all, if you'd asked me month ago when I was going to do an Enterprise weapons page, I'd have said "when Hell becomes a popular tourist destination among the Breen." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Deeply moving. What have we become? A bunch of fans who don't care about the deepness of "In the Pale Moonlight," but only the starship casualty list? And should we be debating whether the Magellan and the Cortez were Galaxy class ships, or the relief at the end of "Sacrifice of Angels" that the Federation got DS9 back, after months of waiting?
*Sniff*
Yes. That is one aspect of Trek. The starships, shall we say, are some of the main characters of Trek. We can debate what they are and what those names are, and what classes of ships we see in "Call to Arms" because it is fun. However, I believe the creators intended the show to focus on the story, and not the regisrty of the USS Honshu.

--------------------
Meh

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Enterprise looks like a Trek series that will bring home a ratings surge from the average idiot. They say they are trying to rejuvenate Trek, I think it's all hype. They say they won't be repeating the same story lines, but on a ship in space your bound to run into them. On a ship you ruffle up feathers on a planet and you leave at Warp 10,on the next ep there is no consequence for what they did the week before.

That's what made DS9 a great show, because on a station, a space station, you have to suffer for what you did the week before. Then you have continuing story arcs such as Gul Dukat and the Dominion among other story arcs

Since they are doing things for the first time they will run into the same things established in TOS. Klingons, Vulcans, and other aliens are among them. This is TOS all over again which I think people wanted.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's one thing I can say with certainty after all these years here, it's that story doesn't matter to the likes of 'us.'

Oh, come on!

I disagree that we are just watching Star Trek for the ships and tech to debate about. I think it was pretty well understood that story is the deciding factor of how we rate a show or entire series. Of course "In the Pale Moonlight" and other deep episodes have made us think of the message behind them, and when story fails, many people express their opinion on it.

Just look at Voyager! That series had a new CGI "cool looking" sequence, new tech, ships, and aliens practically every week. Lots of things to discuss (and argue about). So why is it thought of as the weaker of all four current Star Trek incarnations? The stories, of course. When "Endgame" aired in the US, the first topics were reviews of the plot, not the flashy things put in (just check the older topics). Sure, later we wondered about the registries of some ships and the way some new things worked, but our first reactions were of the story.

Insurrection didn't fare as well either, even with new shuttles, ships, and effects.

Why did we watch TNG and DS9 with anticipation?

We cared about what happened. We wanted to know how the Dominion War would end. We wanted to know what the Prophets meant when Sisko would suffer great sorrow. We wanted to see how Picard would deal with the new threat of the Borg. We wanted to see how he would defend humanity to Q.

We cared about the characters and the setting they were in.

What about VOY? Well, that's the problem: What about Voyager? We didn't care what happened in the "bottle" episodes that lasted just one episode and didn't make a difference overall in character or series development. At the end, they were still lost. Nothing mattered. When the ship was damaged last week, we knew it would all be fine and dandy this week. They treated us like idiots. If the crew were in trouble, you knew the senior staff would live and the extra guy would die. They didn't develop their recurring characters like TOS (only Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were the stars), TNG (Barclay), or DS9 (too many to name). Besides basic sadness over loss of any life, we didn't care if the extra guy died.

If Enterprise has a good overall "series plot", it will succeed and be thought of well compared to the other series, and if it has cool tech, all the better.

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, those are the things i would say that wrecked Voyager.

Which in my oppinnion should have been the best trek series. Afterall it had so much potential, a ship lost in space, on its own, its crew part starfleet and maquis, a new quadrant of wonders to see and face....it should have been so great...

but it turned out in general so bland...so boring...the only reason i watched every episode was because its trek and i wanted to see the ships...LOL

Now for enterprise, i hear they are bringing in entire new teams of writers...well here's hoping for the best.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If there's one thing I can say with certainty after all these years here, it's that story doesn't matter to the likes of 'us.' "The Sound of Her Voice" was a nice little story but all I've ever seen discussed about it here was what class the Olympia might be."

Well, for one thing, you're hanging out at a place that started out as a Treknology board. We're a bunch of tech junkies. Of course we're going to discuss that stuff.

Not to mention, what do you expect us to discuss about liking the stories?

Trekkie 1: "Hey, did you see 'The Sound of Her Voice'? Good episode."
Trekkie 2: "Yeah, I liked it. It was good."
Trekkie 1: "Yeah, I liked it, too."
Trekkie 2: "'The Sound of Her Voice', you said?"
Trekkie 1: "Yeah."
Trekkie 2: "Yeah, good episode.
Trekkie 1: "Yeah, I liked it."

...as opposed to...

Trekkie 1: "Hey, did you see 'The Sound of Her Voice'? Good episode."
Trekkie 2: "Yeah, I liked it. Say, what class do you suppose the Olympia was supposed to be?"
Trekkie 1: "Well, given the time frame, and the fact that it was a deep-space explorer, I'm guessing it was a Constellation."
Trekkie 2: "Yeah, you could be right. I thought I saw a nacelle in that wreckage."
Trekkie 3: "This screencap clearly shows that it was an Oberth! Look! (Oh, and I really liked the episode, too!)"
Trekkie 1: "Hm... He could be right. I dunno..."
Trekkie 2: "Yeah, I wonder..."

See how people can like the story, but still primarily discuss the tech more?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beyond the starships, weapons, and pretty CGI views of alien vistas, Trek wouldn't be here today without the stories. True, there are times in each and every series where the stories were less than stellar. But it is the stories that have made Star Trek stay in the pop culture for more than 30 years. I just hope to God that STAR TREK: Enterprise will have good stories or else all that CGI and visuals will go to waste.

Oh, and if Berman or Braga or both of you are reading this, start pushing the envelope with your stories like TOS...

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Michael_T ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Yes, it is the technology board that gets the highest number of posts on the Star Trek forums, or the second highest number on Flare, because that is what makes Trek interesting. The 24th century technology.
However, the General Trek section is for story, character, and plot discussions. But during the Voyager run I was wondering how they were going to contact Starfleet finally. How they were going to get home.
And in DS9, in addition to pointing out Excelsiors docked at the station, I was wondering how the war was going to turn out in the final arc and what were Dukat and Winn up to (besides sleeping together and having...um...that's another discussion).

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(besides sleeping together and having...um...that's another discussion).

OH MY GOD! They were sleeping together and having sex?!

You do realize, of course, that the term "sleeping together" usually means that two people are engaging in sexual intercourse?

"Yeah, I'm sleeping with this girl Kate," doesn't mean, yeah, you know, we just share the same bed. That's all. Hell, I've never even seen her naked.

No, it means we're engaging in some sort of primal mounting behavior, involving the insertion of one body part into another.

Now, if you meant somethimg besides "and having ... ummm ...", please tell us.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious why you should pick the name Kate, of all names. . .

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cute girl I had a class with over the summer

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

And nothing to do with the fact you think my girlfriend's kinda hot? B(

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I speak for the rest of Flare when we say we have never seen a pic of Kate at all. Show us one and we will decide for ourselves. (side note, the less clothing on, the better. )

Okay I'll stop.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Yes, Kai Winn and Dukat did have sex.I'm wndering, though, wouldn't this throw Winn off about he being Cardassian, and all, unless they altered that part, too.

--------------------
Meh

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear...how quickly we get off topic.

Speaking of several species mixing in Star Trek...how can that work? Isn't a species defined as a population that can only breed within itself (not through mating with other species)?

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps