Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » It all comes down to one thing: Story (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It all comes down to one thing: Story
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know he isn't planning to already? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
I thnk they actually do have they're main characters, The Doctor and Seven. Every main character had some good eps. I enjoyed the ep where Janeway falls in love with a hologram in that small Irish Town projection. Neelix had that ep with Wixiban and that ep where he leaves. Harry had the ep Favorite Son. Tuvok had that one where this planet's atmosphere ischanging and he's the only one who can think clearly. B'Elanna had those Klingon eps. Tom had Driven. I can't recall any Chakotay eps.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any defintion of "recurring character" that includes Uhura, Sulu, and others is, to put it politely, wack. They might not have been the stars, but they were collecting their paycheck every episode. The only recurring character on TOS, which is to say the only character appearing more than once who was not part of the main cast, was Harry Mudd.

You're ignoring the facts. The actors and actresses who played Uhura, Sulu, and the others were not being paid every episode, only when they appeared. William Shatner was getting $5000 plus bonuses; Leonard Nimoy was getting half that amount. Everyone else was just downhill from there. Sure, now Uhura, Sulu, and the others are considered part of the main cast because of the movies, but Gene Roddenberry even said that William Shatner was and had been planned to be the main star. Going by your logic, Keiko O'Brien, Molly O'Brien, Nog, Morn, Brunt, etc. would all be part of the main cast.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You actually think those characters are comparable? Alright, whatever, I guess.

quote:
And we have Christine Chapel and Janice Rand (who was btw supposed to be a regular, but was kicked out because of budgetary reasons).

If by budgetary reasons you mean she lived inside a bottle, yeah.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If not those characters, how about Damar, the female Founder, Ziyal, Dukat, Kai Winn, or Weyoun?

All these characters were in multiple episodes and many were featured as (if not more) prominently as the TOS crew.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slow day here.

Total number of TOS episodes, including pilots: 79

Total number of TOS episodes wherein Uhura appears: 68

Total Uhura content in TOS: 86%

Total number of DS9 episodes: 174 (I think.)

Total number of DS9 episodes wherein Weyoun appears: 20 (Possibly 21, but I think just 20.)

Total Weyoun content in DS9: 11.5%

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Nope, I was wrong, Weyoun is in 21 episodes. So boost the DS9 Weyoun Content Level to an even 12%.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just be evil and nitpicky and all that, there are 176 DS9 episodes, although only 173 discrete units (Emissary, Way of the Warrior and What You Leave Behind being double-sized).

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

What I did was count Emissary as one, and What You Leave Behind as one, but Way of the Warrior as two. Was it originally a two hour movie?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. The bastards cut the "Quark, Odo and the Box" scene when they split it into two.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Evolved
Member # 389

I'm sorry...I guess I'm being too literal for the incredibly anal out there.

When I meant featured prominently, I meant character development wise. We know about Dukat's background, family, etc. at least as much as Uhura's (if not more). The same goes for Garak as well. What do we know about Uhura? She was born in the United States of Africa, speaks Swahili, and contributes to the show "Captain, I'm afraid" and "Hailing frequencies open, sir."

Sheesh...

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christ Sol Uhura doesn't even have a first name! I totally agree with Ace.

A chacter who appears in a 1000 episodes could be less developed than one who only appears in a single ep. Ouside the triumvarate there wasn't much character development in TOS.

Of course I think that DS9 and Voyager tried to develop too many characters. Alot of episodes feel like "Well, we have to do a Kes episode because we haven't done one yet," instead of waiting until they actually have a good idea for a Kes episode.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If not, I say we petition Bill Gates to take over Star Trek..."

Um.

I don't understand.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Make a silly claim like Uhura not being a main character and you'll get a silly answer. No one said anything about depth. Hell, almost everyone from TNG on has more depth than even Kirk. Depth wasn't exactly a great concern for TOS, or television in general at the time. What do we need to know about Joe Friday other than that he's got a badge?
Evolved
Member # 389

Make a silly claim like Uhura not being a main character and you'll get a silly answer.

Perhaps, before we proceed, I should know what exactly your definition of a main character is?

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps