Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Ugh, here we go again... (Upcoming Episode $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ugh, here we go again... (Upcoming Episode $$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/190102_04.shtml

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't first contact with the Ferengi not until the days of TNG?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Krenim ]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Krenim, the link just keeps sending me back to the main forum page.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woodside, you could just go ahead and copy the text http://www.trektoday.com/news/190102_04.shtml in to your browser's address bar..

now that thats out of the way,

F**K

A Ferengi on Enterprise. What a bunch of a**holes.

[edited for language]

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. I'll fix it, even though CaptainMike has been kind enough to post a working link of his own.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow.. i didnt even use the URL tag.. it linked it on its own.. nice forum you got here, Mistah Capps..

Oh, and the fucking Ferengi is being played by goddamn Ethan 'Neelix' Phillips.. i never wanted to see that idiot again except in repeats.. son of a bitch, you know i was beginning to soften up on Braga and Berman. Couple of assholes, thats what they are.

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a crazy idea: see what they do before getting all bent out of shape. How do you know the Enterprise crew will ever meet the Ferengi in question? The Ferengi could be working in legion with, say, the Suliban in the Helix, but is never seen by the humans. Or he could be part of a "menagerie of aliens" on some sort of prison planet, in which case he's one of many unknowns. It's a little premature to just throw up arms and give up.

So far there haven't been any major continuity errors in Enterprise, and there is no reason to assume that this will be one. Even if it is.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides which, events in TNG and DS9 even contradicted the whole "we didn't meet them until Season One TNG' anyway", so I don't see how this is any worse then that.

Besides, Enterprise isn't part of the same Starfleet that the Enterprise was, 'member?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Besides which, events in TNG and DS9 even contradicted the whole "we didn't meet them until Season One TNG' anyway", so I don't see how this is any worse then that.

When? I don't remember any Next Generation or Deep Space Nine reference to any Federation member species meeting the Ferengi before 2364.

Aside, of course, from the Battle of Maxia.

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. It could be a continuity error of a magnitude large enough to piss me off. In which case I will be, although I won't do the whole hari kari Trek-is-being-destroyed routine. But it also could end up being a kind of neat in-joke. Say the crew runs into an alien trader in a marketplace on some planet crowded with aliens of every sort. This guy's got big ears and they end up haggling in a bidding war for information, but don't catch the name of its species. Could even be funny. Dramatic irony, and all.

Or it could be an alien poppping up on the viewscreen saying "Hi! I'm a Ferengi. Pleased to meet you." In which case we'll have our first blatant continuity error of the series. And the earth will continue to rotate, and children in Ethiopia will continue to starve, and I will continue to tune in Wednesday nights at eight hoping for a free hour of entertainment.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they won't make such a blatant f*ckup... not after they quite succesfully resurrected the Andorians and gave faces to two of TOS's obscure aliens (Axanari and Malurians) *and* giving a TNG alien some background (Nausicaans).
Ferengis, Klingons and holodecks are popular among the production crew, one would think.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

Because the production crew are dopes. Why cant they make a good show instead of another Ferengi-holodeck-Klingon show?

Even if they have the Ferengi meet no one, be perfectly explained, and leave continuity unscathed, I'm still going to be pissed off at seeing that fat oaf Neelix on the screen again, in any form. Why cant they accept what sucked about Voyager (him) and leave it behind.

Perhaps their imagination of their proudest hour as writers would be to successfully combine the plots from 'Spock's Brain', 'The Outrageous Okona', 'Force of Nature', 'Threshold' and 'Tuvix' "Fire the science advisors and call Joes Piscopo, we have some shitty television to make!" will be their rallying cry!

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why cant they make a good show instead of another Ferengi-holodeck-Klingon show?
Like Deep Space Nine?

quote:
I'm still going to be pissed off at seeing that fat oaf Neelix on the screen again, in any form. Why cant they accept what sucked about Voyager (him) and leave it behind.
You won't be seeing Neelix. You'll be seeing Ethan Phillips, a perfectly friendly guy who's never said anything nasty about you. That I know of.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
Member # 709

The difference being that DS9 was good. And Braga never went anywhere near it. We've all discussed the reasons that ENT shouldn't have Ferengi and holodecks and Klingons. because those plot elements are tired, and ENT wants to be original.

You are right I have no reason to dis Ethan. But I'm mad. And the way this situation has been described to me really stinks.

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression they met the Ferengi during the tng time period, in the official contact sense.

The Ferengi probably dealt with human traders long before.

But Picard and the crew of the Ent-D was clueless about the Ferengi ships and abilities and as well as their culture.[The stargazer blew up a Ferengi ship and didn't even know about it]-Meaning Starfleet have spotty records on the Ferengi from Stargazer to Ent-D.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well as their culture
Actually, Data knew quite a bit about their culture. He gave a very detailed run down at the beginning of "The Last Outpost"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps