Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Ugh, here we go again... (Upcoming Episode $$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ugh, here we go again... (Upcoming Episode $$$)
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine with toying with TNG season 1 continuity a little and making sure that DS9 Ferengi make sense (i.e. humans had met Ferengi, just not officially).. but the dont seem to fit at all thematically with Enteprise

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Ferengi space far away?
Sure they are traders and can let distance stand in the way of a good deal, but didn't they also have poor warp drive and is one of the last species to get their hands on it?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be funny if Ethan-Philips-Ferengi is seen eating his business partner, leading to Picard's somewhat strange not in TNG.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the article didn't mention the fact that he played a Talaxian playing a Ferengi in that one VOY ep, too (I don't really feel like looking up the name).
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perish the thought that TrekToday wouldn't put out journalism to rival the best of Fleet Street. [Wink]

One more thing: Have a look at who's visiting the bar at Starbase Earhart in "Tapestry," circa, what, 2327 or so?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode was "False Profits."

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the Battle of Maxia, Picard's assertion that the Federation had never encountered the Ferengi was a bit weird, but not an all-out contradiction. What we then learned in DS9 - such as the spread of the Ferengi throughout the Alpha Quadrant territories - likewise put a strain on the "no contact with the Ferengi before TNG" thing, but again it didn't directly contradict it. Each time, you can explain it away.

If, however, Archer & Co. meet one of our favourite loved aliens, who says "hi, I'm Merchant Bork of the Ferengi, can I sell you something?" then that's a direct violation of continuity. However, the fact remains that most people here won't see it that way, because after all it was only TNG. If DS9 had actually re-iterated the "no previous contact" statement, then you'd likely have a problem. It seems sad to me that my least-favourite Trek incarnation is becoming the yardstick against which all else is judged, but that's by the by.

Note, however, I said "If." So far I like what I've seen of Enterprise, and have been able to suspend disbelief or distrust and just enjoy it for what it is.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it always struck me that TNG sort of bent the rule on contact with the Ferengi alot. For one thing, Data knew *A LOT* about them in "The Last Outpost" ... for another thing, "Captain's Holiday" seemed to imply that at least one Ferengi had been in the somewhat employ/partnership of/with a Daystrom Inst. scientist for a number of years.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Archer knows that Dr. Phlox is a Denobulan from Denobula Triaxa. Beyond that...can he tell us anything about their culture, their history, the way their society functions? No, of course not. Isolated cases do not a general knowledge base create.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if when they see the Ferengi, someone will ask them about Roswell. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK.. Ferengi scheme of things before:

23rd century: The Ferengi are traders.. they are known to humans at Farspace stations, but nothing is known about them other than their existence. ('Tapestry')

Mid-23rd century: Expansion of both races leads to humans knowing Ferengi, entering into deals with them. (Vash & Sovak). The Ferengi are known to Cardassians and Bajorans. The Ferengi Alliance, as a political entity, is unknown to the Federation.

Battle of Maxia: Starfleet has no idea that it was a ferengi ship. Ferengi rumors are passed around it seems, such as their 'cannibalism'

The Last Outpost: The Ferengi are identified by the 1701-D. of course, the Federation will reconcile the appearance of the traders from previous mentions and the battle with the existence of an actual Ferengi government.

.. Hopefully Reed will see Feren-Neelix, and test a new weapon on him that leaves not much of his torso and head intact, and is chided by Archer and T'Pol for robbing them the ability to get acquainted with this species for the next 200 years or so. Yay!

Plus i really need to see characters played by Phillips die. They suck.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DIE DIE every Philips character DIE

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little unclear about all this, but, it seems to me, the Ferengi Problem is not a matter of conflicting canon, as it were. We've never had any UFP official type character say "Oh, the Ferengi, yes, we've known of them for centuries."

The problem is, as I see it, a conceptual one. The Ferengi are portrayed as the single most influential trading block in the alpha quadrant. The UFP is the largest economy. The Ferengi should be attracted to the Federation like...I don't know, some overwrought metaphor. There's no reason, in other words, for the Ferengi to avoid the Federation.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for that whole "we don't use money" thing.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that one will bite you in the ass every time.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps