Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a recent TrekToday article:

quote:
Braga was asked if T'Pol would go through pon farr during her time on the NX-01. "We have talked about it," he said. "We want to wait until the time is right � when we really need the ratings!"
It was all I could do to stop myself from screaming in frustration -- because it was 5 AM and everyone else in the house was asleep.

This makes me sick! Okay, so T'Pol, by her very nature as a Vulcan, is probably going to have to deal with the pon farr at some point or another. But it's Braga's attitude that's extremely disturbing -- he's viewing the entire plot as a potential ratings stunt.

Anyone else want to be that this will turn into a disaster?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, purely the fact that pon farr has always been something that has been limited to Vulcan males makes me think that this will be a disaster. Granted, it's never been stated that Vulcan females don't go through pon farr, it's just never been mentioned any of the times it's come up.

To me, it's just been pretty obvious that this was a males only thing. Until now. Until there are no Vulcan males on the ship. Now it's an equal-opportunity chemical imbalance.

I'm not really as bitter as all that. There are worse things than Jolene Blalock running around the ship all hot and bothered...but add to all this the fact that noone was supposed to have ever heard of pon farr until TOS and the suop gets stirred even more.

And yes...the idea that it'll be used when they "need" the ratings... that's just bad juju...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe they if ratings go really down they could always do that Gell Scene. Or on the other hand, they could travel to the year 2002, and stop a mad man from destroying the 23rd century! Or they could discover the Borg which came from the 35th century and try to destroy the Enterprise, but somehow she ends up destroying the whole Collective.

Or what they could do if they don't want ratings to go down, is to have A+ episodes and get off of UPN and go on some other respectable station.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would be intrested to see what a female pon farr would be like...quick everyone stop watching enterprise.

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* GR must be rolling in his grave right now.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's been rolling since Voyager.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rotation speed has been increasing. Scientists are considering attaching magnets to Roddenberry's body so that he can be used as a power source. As long as B&B continue to besmirch his legacy, his grave-rolling motion could be used to light a small city.

(BTW he was cremated)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both genders went through pon farr, it would cause some problems. What are the chances a married couple would both just happen to be synchronized?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what are you saying, Tim? Vulcans CAN'T mate if they're not in pon-farr? Or they just can't knock someone up? 'Cuz, as I remember, T'Pol slept with some random Vulcan in a prior episode, and, er, I don't think either of them were in pon'farr ... or were they?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, the whole concept is pretty shaky.

T'Pol would be the second female to go through it onscreen, though. First Vulcan female, admittedly, but there you are.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this, Dan. I think exactly the same about it and came here to post it too. Such an attitude is simply disgusting, and even if it was meant as a joke we know that it's how he actually writes the show (considering the progression "bed" --> "kiss" --> "bondage" --> "nude" he obviously needs to do something about the ratings already now).

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I being hopelessly optimistic by reading a joking tone into the comment?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
So, what are you saying, Tim? Vulcans CAN'T mate if they're not in pon-farr?

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Saavik yet, from ST3.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps