Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers)
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saavik wasn't in Pon Farr... she was bonding with Spock to ease his!!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff: Well, they haven't really explained the technicalities of it all. But I assumed it had something to do w/ fertility (of course, then you'd think only the women would go through it, but oh well). Otherwise, why would it happen?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you're asking Star Trek fans to have a sense of self-awareness, or even ironic detachment. 21st century notions that are far beyond the 19th century mindset of fandom.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'ns all seriusly need to purchase some senses of humor. He's making a damn JOKE.

Trust me. If you ever want to kiss a girl, you NEED to be able to pick up on things like that.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
So, what are you saying, Tim? Vulcans CAN'T mate if they're not in pon-farr? Or they just can't knock someone up? 'Cuz, as I remember, T'Pol slept with some random Vulcan in a prior episode, and, er, I don't think either of them were in pon'farr ... or were they?

I thought it was her dream after not meditating? it was flashing when she went to a club when she was on earth once?

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to figure out if he's joking. After all, he took me to task for using the word "between" when I should have clarified it happened "before" ... ::groan::

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AH HA!!

After much searching I found an audio clip from Star Trek: Search for Spock. A quote from Saavik.

http://www.stinsv.com/MOv/St3/endponf.wav

So.. This should spark a new debate.. or end it...

But now.. I'm totally against T'Pol having Pon Farr.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if Vulcans females don't go through "primary" pon farr, they might go through a "secondary" pon farr thanks to the telepathic bond their share with their betrothed.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or "pon farr" is a term a bit like "bar mitzvah"... a female equivalent exists under a different name.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Majel Roddenberry said that Gene would love the concept of Enterprise, nothing about how the execution of it though. I wonder these days what Trek would be like if she ran the franchise instead of Berman.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sold to Tribune for half a box of raisins?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It's hard to figure out if he's joking. After all, he took me to task for using the word 'between' when I should have clarified it happened 'before'"

First off, I did nothing off the sort, as I've already explained in the other thread. You should learn not to assume everything anyone says is somehow against you.

And, secondly, I wasn't the one making a joke. Braga was.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because half the people here need the fact that this is humorous spelled out to them like I'm writing for an avionics journal, from the original bloody article...
quote:
As for the much-requested storyline of T'Pol experiencing the Vulcan mating ritual known as pon farr, Braga commented wryly, "We have talked about it. We want to wait until the time is right — when we really need the ratings!"
Wry: Dryly humorous, often with a touch of irony.

In other words, fan most likely went up to microphone, asked Braga about T'Pol and sex, and he made a funny. Whether the people at the con found it funny or not is open to debate.

[ March 28, 2002, 00:50: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm.... Interesting.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's interesting is you saw how moody Spock was with pon far. Imagine a Female Vulcan with PMS and pon far, that'll scare the shit out of me.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps