Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I was afraid of this... (Possible small spoilers)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Tom, why don't you go yell at Matrix for not posting it completely? I didn't see a "wryly" in the quote he posted, or a link to the complete article, for that matter.

OTOH, "wryly" could be a subjective criticism of Braga's answer and might not be accurate. ::shrug::

Sorry, TSN. I just like Nixpiking you so much ... and I assumed they were refering to your post as sarcastic and I felt like defending my response.

[ March 28, 2002, 07:42: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?????

What quote I didn't finish?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Because half the people here need the fact that this is humorous spelled out to them like I'm writing for an avionics journal, from the original bloody article...

Talk about going off half-cocked. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:

quote:
As for the much-requested storyline of T'Pol experiencing the Vulcan mating ritual known as pon farr, Braga commented wryly, "We have talked about it. We want to wait until the time is right — when we really need the ratings!"
Wry: Dryly humorous, often with a touch of irony.
THANKYOU - he was (let's hope) joking. [Smile]

quote:
ALSO originally posted by The_TOM:

quote:
In other words, fan most likely went up to microphone, asked Braga about T'Pol and sex, and he made a funny. Whether the people at the con found it funny or not is open to debate.

LOL! *funny scene entered my head* Braga answers this questions... no one laughs... murmurings and gasps and audible whispers are heard coming from the audience... the dull roar becomes louder and louder... 35 year old men in ill-fitting starfleet uniforms and large-esque women in klingon uniforms rush the stage and Braga! LOL! [Wink] [Big Grin]

[ April 01, 2002, 18:37: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is already said here, but Vulcan females DO NOT go through pon farr... That was established in a TOS episode AND in 'The Search for Spock'.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prove it. With quotes.

And as Tim said, prove it in a way where we can't just say "it has a different name for women".

If they do, I wonder if it's like how women's periods tend to sync up if they are in close proximity for prolonged time; the male and female would end up experiencing pon farr simulatiously.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just caught TSFS on TV tonight, and paid careful attention to "the line" and the surrounding context. The way it's said, it most certainly rules out anyone drawing any conclusions about how Vulcan women breed. It merely implies that a 7-year mating cycle called "Pon Farr" affects Vulcan men specifically. Vulcan women canonically appear to be able to do the nasty at any time (Saavik didn't need to be telepathically bonded to Spock Jr. before they could start, um, stroking one another) but on top of that they could go through "pon farr" every nine years or "ponette farr" every seven and the line would still make perfect sense.

[ April 21, 2002, 21:30: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...women's periods tend to sync up if they are in close proximity for prolonged time..."

Really? I'd never heard that before...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
T'is true.

The evolutionary explanation I've heard is so that a roving lone proto-Nix could arrive at a community of lustful cavewomen and impregnate as many as possible in a brief period of time, thus maximizing the number of baby proto-Nixes created while minimizing the amount of time he'd have to spend hanging around the icky-pooey females.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something like that. It's caused (from a scientific POV), by hormones in the air and, er, stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think B was making a joke. If anyone took it seriously, they would cause a havoc.... oh wait... um... What thread am I posting in again?

Even a casual Trek fan knows Pon Farr. My wife, who isn't into the intracicies (sp?) of the show, watches it casually for a few laughs and even she knows it's a "man-only" thing.

We may be able to forgive something like Ferengi, but something stated many times (TOS, TSFS, TNG?, VOY) and more or less is a running thing, wouldn't be so easily overlooked.

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, TOS and ST3 are the only ones to speak of it as male-only, and even there the two alternates ("Ponette Far" and a non-seven-year female cycle) are left open. VOY is annoyingly ambiguous, although it certainly clears up a thing or two about when Pon Farr begins and whether it can be avoided. B'Elanna Torres did get Pon Farr'y, but that was apparently the *male* variety of the ailment, transmitted to the wrong sex and wrong species.

So "Fusion" alone doesn't yet contradict the TOS and ST3 statements. But they are walking a semantic tightrope there.

Timo Saloniemi

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So basically what we have is a race that gets horny, violent, and so on every 7 years. And it might be possbile that the male version is a mild one, if we follow human female reactions to their little Pon Farr. Combined with PM and Pon Far, I don't want to be near a Vulcan emale.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why, what kind of encryption does Vulcan email use?

Also, I think the only reason that Spock (and Vorik's) pon farrs were do difficult was the lack of a suitable mate.. possibly there would be no need for the advanced blood fever aspect unless they did not find a mate in the time allotted.. if Sorik Q. Vulcan wakes up on June 5th and starts to feel a little feverish, he calls into work, him and the wife settle it, and he goes back to work a day or two later, and all his buddies nudge him at the water cooler.. "Hey you get over the 'flu', buddy?" while raising their eyebrows up and down

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Saiyanman Benjita:

Even a casual Trek fan knows Pon Farr. My wife, who isn't into the intracicies (sp?) of the show, watches it casually for a few laughs and even she knows it's a "man-only" thing.

We may be able to forgive something like Ferengi, but something stated many times (TOS, TSFS, TNG?, VOY) and more or less is a running thing, wouldn't be so easily overlooked.

Y'know, I'm going to go out on a limb here and claim to be a bigger Trek fan than your wife, and until this thread I'd never given any thought to it being a male only thing.

How is it a "running thing"? One or two mentions in TOS, one film, ambiguous statement in Voyager, and probably no mention at all in TNG and DS9? It's hardly up there with "phasers have stun and kill settings" in the list of things casual fans know.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps