Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » FutureGuy and the War (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: FutureGuy and the War
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Food for thought: When they first promoted the series, they described it as a departure from DS9 and Voyager, and a move "back to the basics."

Therefore, it is very unlikely that the villain would come from either of these two series. (i.e. they don't want new viewers to be "let down" by the revelation that FutureGuy is a character that they've never heard about from those two series) Therefore, he's not Dominion, Cardassian, and probably not Section 31. Probably not Borg either.

Except that the Borg and Cardassians are both from TNG, and the Borg are very well known in casual fan circles. The Cardassians are also surprisingly well known.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be funny if FutureGuy was Archer himself? Or Daniels. Or... WESLEY CRUSHER!!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One seemingly important piece of info about FutureGuy's motives that I'm not sure have been touched on. FutureGuy apparently wants the Enterprise's mission to fail, but doesn't want the ship destroyed or the crew killed. Remember, he had Silik save the ship once when it would have been destroyed. He also seemed perfectly content to see Enterprise return home in disgrace in "Shockwave". It was Silik, presumably going against orders, who decided to destroy Enterprise when Archer didn't give himself up.

My guess is that FutureGuy's ultimate goal is to stop the inclution of Earth in any kind of Federation-type government before it starts by causing their first attempts at deep space exploration to fail miserably. Destroying them would make them martyrs... he just wants them to look bad.

A Romulan seems likely. But I'm hoping for something a bit cooler... especially since we're getting Romulans in "Nemesis". And as much as I'd like to find out what's going on... I'm hoping they'll have the cahones to stretch this thing out for another season.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Cold Front, he didn't want Enterprise destroyed because Daniels' Temporal Observatory thingy was on it. But for now it seems he indeed isn't that intent on actually destroying Enterprise.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the weird thing -- if the Enterprise had been destroyed in "Cold Front," they would've effectively been disgraced as a bunch of yahoos who couldn't last a year in deep space. And I'm sure that the Vulcans would've pushed for the same isolation that they were arguing for in "Shockwave."

Therefore, FutureGuy's order to leave the NX-01 intact must have a different motive. Perhaps to prevent a war between Earth and the Suliban, or the Vulcans and the Suliban? Because having the Suliban attack the Enterprise and destroy it would probably anger a lot of folks back home. An accident (like "Cold Front") would be embarrassing and crippling, but an attack would galvanize everyone into something different.

Hmm... here's a weird thought. Maybe FutureGuy wants the Enterprise to survive for a few years in order to do a certain thing (I have no idea what), but for them to stop short of helping to found the Federation (or inspiring it, or whatever). In other words, FutureGuy is using the Suliban to try to force the Enterprise crew to choose a different path that will lead to an altered (slightly or otherwise) future.

Hey! I just had an idea -- if Archer's disappearance had disastrous consequences for Daniels' people (presumably the Federation), then the question is, how was FutureGuy affected by this massive and unexpected change? Is he protected by time-travel shields or whatever?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe's he's fuzzy because he's only a probablility, and is working to make his future come about?

Maybe his IS the 'devastated future?'

naah.

He's Berlinghoff Rasmussen.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manheim's a likely candidate, too.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I don't think we'll be introduced to a character who will later be revealed to be FutureGuy. As soon as a character shows up being played by James Horan, people will know what's going on.

Hardly, even now we can mask our voices over telephones, or change our appearance over a videophone. For all we know, FutureGuy's "appearance" in the temporal chamber could be a complete fabrication, to deceive the Suliban, or to hide his identity if someone ever managed to record one of his transmissions.

There's no rule James Horan has play both the silhouette and the character; we already have precedent the guy inside Darth Vader's suit didn't lend his voice to his character.

quote:
Except that the Borg and Cardassians are both from TNG, and the Borg are very well known in casual fan circles. The Cardassians are also surprisingly well known.
The advertising for the show emphasizes a going back to the basics of TOS, implying that they don't want to build on DS9/VOY. Both figuratively (they don't want to use too many characters/races, from them), and literally (the show takes place before them)... The creators always emphasise the Kirk/Spock/Bones dynamic, not the Picard/Data/whomever dynamic...and going for new fans before pleasing existing ones.
In addition, they emphasise going back to TOS, NOT TNG.

It wouldn't make sense to try to attract a new audience, and then reveal a villain that only fans of TNG/DS9/VOY would recognise. Imagine the letdown for both new fans:
*Dramatic scene* A curtain drops, and Archer confronts....*gasp*..this guy you've never heard of....

...while the hardcore Trek fans besides them go:
"Awww, man...first they re-use the Ferengi and come up with a lame excuse why the Federation never saw them, and now they need a lame excuse for him too, bitch, bitch, bitch, whine, whine."

Such a let-down would be bad for both demographics, and pleases no one.

By a similar notion, it probably won't be the Borg, although we can also factor in their over-use in Voyager, the main reason is such a revelation would be a massive creative cop-out.
(see ST8: First Contact, Endgame, etc)

I still contend that Enterprise will be self-contained in relation to other ST series, and that we already have been introduced to FutureGuy or will be.

(Note, if we ever get introduced to Cardassians or the Borg in Enterprise itself, then all bets are off [Smile] )

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cardassians are not only a possibility for Enterprise guest stardom (first contact with the Cardassians being mentioned nowhere), they are one I personally think would be quite interesting, as Cardassia might very well be pre-junta at the time.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Marc Alaimo can return!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see that, though not necessarily as a Cardassian. The part of me that goes for cheap irony (and it is a large part) thinks that Alaimo would make a perfect Vulcan diplomat assigned to handle the Andorian issue...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Carassians would be an extreme stretch. The Cardassian Union is apparently very close to Bajor, and Bajor is supposedly on the fringes of Federation territory in the 24th century. It would seem to be highly unlikely that two races so early in their developments of deep space exploration would bump into one another over such a great distance.

Mucus: your analysis of the letdowns for both fan groups is pretty good, and I hadn't thought of it that way before. I'm now thinking it will end up being someone we haven't been introduced to yet, but will be sometime soon. On the other hand, the fact that using someone from TNG would be a let down to everyone might be a reason for us to prepare ourselves for that storyline being used [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty much been established that Bajor is roughly 50 lightyears from Earth... given that Enterprise has (miraculously) managed to cover twice that distance in less than a year, "we" might very well bump into them a bit further down the road [Smile]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, Starfleet managed to completely miss the Ferengi (officially) until Picard found them, despite the fact that they'd been running all over the alpha quadrant for at least as long as DS9/Terok Nor had been around (and even longer, according to Enterprise).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also love to see Marc Alaimo come back -- a Vulcan would be interesting, and would also be a vastly different character (most likely) compared to Gul Dukat. That would be fun to watch.

And if Alaimo's Vulcan diplomat was assigned to negotiations with Shran's Andorian faction... well, that would be a great treat for us DS9 fans! [Big Grin] (I always LOVED the Dukat/Weyoun dynamic of DS9's war arc.)

However, I doubt that TPTB would end up bringing in the Cardassians to ENT. I may be off-track here, but Berman and Braga may perceive the Ferengi as a "favorite" alien race, or just enjoy that race themselves for whatever reason. But I don't see much of a reason for them to want to bring in Cardassians. (But then, I wouldn't have seen a reason why they would've wanted the FERENGI of all races!)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps