Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » FutureGuy and the War (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: FutureGuy and the War
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically, they didn't miss them, they just never knew what they looked like. They'd had contact with them before Picard met up with them, they'd even fought skirmishes (the Battle of Maxia)... Humans just never knew who the big-earred little dudes were that boarded the NX-01.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping they resurrect the Tellarites like they did the Andorians. They've already mentioned them once (in "Civilization", IIRC). Some of the obscure Federation races from the movies would be cool too, though they are perhaps a bit too obscure. There's also a chance we see some Bolians, as they were mentioned by the Ferengi.

I heard some rumours that They actually had thought about bringing back the Gorn, but after reviewing they decided that Kirk made first contact in "Arena". Too bad, because they could've been very cool.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of how far away Cardassia may be, we know that a Cardassian exile spent time on Vulcan "centuries ago." So it seems to me quite possible to have a few Cardassians show up somewhere.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... I vaguely remember that. What episode was it mentioned in?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I don't remember the specific episode either, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the fourth or fifth season. That would actually be kinda interesting in a weird sort of way -- a Cardassian exile on Vulcan.

And there might even be an excuse for it -- considering that some individuals might take it upon themselves to travel further on a one-way trip than some government-sponsored exploration/expansion vessels would travel, since they have to make a return trip and rely more on refueling/resupply stops. And so it MIGHT be feasible to have an individual or a small group travel much further than their actual government's sphere of influence has expanded. (For example, Enterprise itself. Most aliens they've encountered have never heard of Humans yet.)

Actually, that would actually make for an INTERESTING "Enterprise" plot -- if the crew of the NX-01 discovered that they WEREN'T the first/only Humans to make it this far into deep space.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crackpot Theory #2:

The Captain's name is Archer.

Good Futureguy's name is Daniels.

therefore...

Evil Futureguy's name must be Midland.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the most similar time-travel villain conundrum was the Legion of Super-Heroes / Time Trapper deal DC Comics ran.. i would be surprised if Enterprise ran the same way, but the payoff was a good one, if mishandled at the end.

The Legion of Super-Heroes lived in the 30th century and time-travel was possible, they often found themselves going back to the 1960s to chill with Superboy. The Time Trapper first appeared in 1964 in Adventure Comics #321. He was an ambiguous time-traveling villain who wore a purple cloak and had bandaged hands. He would often be involved in complicated plots, sometimes trying to destroy the Legion, and sometimes avoiding their destruction as he pursued as yet untold goals. For the next 30 or so years he pursued the Legion in odd encounters, until the timeline was fractured in Zero Hour and their entire epoch ceased to exist, retroactively, because of changes made in the past. Some of the things he did were 1) enact a time-travel barrier that prevented the Legion from visiting Superboy anymore 2) abort the existence of Superboy during the Crisis, meaning that in the new reformed timeline, Clark Kent never gained powers until he was almost an adult. and 3) create a duplicate group of Legionnaires that were exact duplicates of the original, aged Legion, extracted from the past of an alternate timeline.

In the end, it was revealed that he was Cosmic Boy, the leader of the Legion, and his actions ensured that, after the universe was destroyed and reformed by Parallax, the Legion would indeed exist again in the new version rather than be completely aborted. And they dragged it out for 31 yers.. pretty cool if Enterprise could pull something like that, but I doubt they have the imagination or the inclination.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. Farm humor. Very nice.

The instance in question was mention in DS9 S3 "Destiny," 2371. Cardassian serial poet Iloja of Prim spent time on Vulcan while in exile "centuries ago." Dax impressed Gilora Rejal & Ulani Belor by telling them that she had met Iloja during is stay; at the time, it was Tobin Dax, the second host. Apparently he (Iloja, not Tobin) had quite a temper.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidently, this is why I'd like to see Enterprise meet the Trill, as well.

Or, rather, why I think the Trill would be a good candidate for an appearance, aside from whether I want them to or not. Though I do. But that's because I want everything. Now.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So both the Trill and the Cardassians have had early contact with the Vulcans.

From Startrek.com: "Serialist poet from the Cardassian First Republic, late 21st or early 22nd century. Iloja lived in exile for a time on planet Vulcan. Tobin Dax met him while on Vulcan, and got the impression that the poet had quite a temper. Tobin became interested in Cardassian literature after that meeting, and Iloja of Prim remained Dax's favorite Cardassian writer in subsequent joined lives"

So, at the time of ENT, there is a chance that there actually IS a Cardassian (or a group of them) on Vulcan.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Maybe we'll even get to run into one of the Dax hosts...

Now that would actually be kind of cool... as long as he wasn't a regular character or anything...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would have to be the first host, Lela. It was said that she did her first stint as a field docent in 2171.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish that Pocket Books would let Okuda publish a fully up-to-date Encyclopedia. It would be helpful to have something that I know has all the proper information through the end of Voyager...

According to the Encyclopedia, Third Edition, the Dax Symbiont was born in 2018. (Dax said that the symbiont was 356 years old in "You Are Cordially Invited...") Audrid, the fourth host, died in 2284. That makes an average of 66 years joined for each of the first four hosts. (Obviously averages aren't totally reliable, because Torias Dax was joined for less than a year.)

Anyway, the only "reasonable" candidate for a host at the time of "Enterprise" is Tobin Dax. Emony Dax (the third host) was on Earth circa 2245 when she met McCoy in his college years. Therefore, she's not a viable candidate unless she was over 120 years old at that point -- assuming she was a young woman in the time of the NX-01. Lela Dax (the first host) is likewise ruled out because she'd have to be 150+ years old by 2151. So Tobin Dax it is!
quote:
Dax, Tobin. Second host to the Dax symbiont. ("Invasive Procedures" [DS9]) Tobin Dax had a child named Raifi, who caused Tobin some difficulty over the years. ("Nor the Battle to the Strong" [DS9]) Though Tobin was socially inept and unimaginative (at least according to Jadzia), he was renowned for his knowledge of phase coil inverters. ("The Siege" [DS9]) Tobin was the only Dax host to try his hand at botany, but didn't have much success. ("The Wire" [DS9]) While on Vulcan, Tobin Dax met noted Cardassian poet Iloga of Prim. ("Destiny" [DS9]) Tobin used to dabble in sleight-of-hand magic. ("Rejoined" [DS9]) Prior to his death, Tobin worked on a new proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. ("Facets" [DS9])
Source: "The Star Trek Encyclopedia, Third Edition"

Although there's really not many relevant details, Tobin seems to fit almost perfectly into the ENT timeline here. The contact with the Vulcans and Fermat's Last Theorem especially would work as clues that there was some level of contact between Trill and Earth in this era. Heck, the Trill could end up being one of the founding members of the Federation!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I think meeting Dax would be a bit much.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can you be sure Lela took on the symbiont in 2018? They've never said how long the symbionts live between birth and first symbiosis. For all we know, Dax was still living in one of those underground pools on Trill in the 2150s.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps