Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$Precious Cargo$$$ HAPPY NOW (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$Precious Cargo$$$ HAPPY NOW
Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK this episode wasnt that bad, although a few "tools" that trip uses to escape are identifiable as common tools used by mechanics.
Does anyone remember how a ship that cant go faster than warp 2.2(get me right enterprise is still capable of warp 5)outrun Enterprise and get away, what happened to the sensors from the future,they arent just for stealth ship im sure that that would have some sort of long range scanning ability...thats like having a turbocharger and no engine....

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

BTW [,.??,;,"",' the, it, outran.]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HAPPY NOW
Many of our members don't have an opportunity to watch new episodes for quite some time after US posters. It is possible to be courteous to their desires not to be spoiled without coming across as a spoiled child.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even get to watch the episodes until a friend downloads them for me since UPN == teh su><0rz, and I live in the U.S.

BTW, there is a Precious Cargo tech thread already, and the grammar there actually makes sense!

Here's some punctuation, articles, pronouns and properly tensed verbs, mix them up with that post and it might make sense: ,.??,;,"",' the, it, outran.

feel free to use CTRL-C to use them in later posts also.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already commented on the tech of this episode in the proper thread. (ahem) But let me say that this episode sucked.

First off, it's a poor ripoff of "Elaan of Troyius" and "The Perfect Mate" -- although I admit that I did appreciate the overt hints to the latter story that certainly built up some of the stellar-political background in the early years. It was actually a nice touch IMO to make Krios Prime a major power in this era, when we know that it's going to be conquered by the Klingons some time soon. Heck, this kind of setup would be fair game for a minor recurring story at some point, if the writers have any intention of doing that kind of episode.

I was reasonably impressed by Connor Trineer in this episode -- his acting basically saved the hour from being a total loss. The actress playing the First Monarch (or whatever) was certainly not bad, but her performance seemed forced. And let's not even mention the scene where they start out fighting and end up smooching. I saw that scene played out before in the DS9 Final Chapter, and it wasn't any better then, either.

(Aside: what is it with shows like this where they show the two love birds afterwards, fully clothed again? Isn't there some other way to preserve the PG rating? They showed more skin on Hoshi a few weeks ago than they did here...) (Not that I'm complaining especially -- just wondering because it doesn't seem to make sense. One of many issues in this series, of course.)

I'll admit that I did enjoy the rather amusing "good cop/bad cop" routine that Archer and T'Pol played, but it occurred to me later that this scene only served to show what a weenie our good Captain is, if he has to rely on the Vulcan to be the Bad Cop. Why can't he handle these kind of issues on his own ship? Surely Human starships have run into some kind of similar situation before?

In the end, although this story provided some amusement, I was severely disappointed by its lack of depth, both on the ship and on Planet Dagobah. This wasn't a story, it was just a sequence of events with very little in the way of motivations.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, much happier, thank you, Twatridden.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The episode sucks? The series sucks.

They still can salvage this series by:

Short Term:
Hire the writing staff from "Firefly" or
Hire the junior wrtiters from "Andromeda" or
Hire the Harvard guy from Ichy and Scratchy (Simpsons)

Long Term:
They can't run this for seven or more years. They need to end it with in two years, with probably the Romulan War. Honestly i'll appreciate the pre-E getting rocked.

This would make a good CG of interstellar war with impulse fighters.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
They still can salvage this series by:

They can? Possibly, if the Trekkies of the world united to create a New Revolution for the Franchise... [Roll Eyes]
quote:
Short Term:
Hire the writing staff from "Firefly" or

Never gonna happen. From what I heard, they tried to hire J. Michael Straczynski a few years back; he turned the job down without thinking twice. Star Trek is regarded as a creative dead-end for most of the REAL writers in Hollywood -- mainly because it's viewed as far too restrictive in terms of creativity: just about everything that could be done, has been done, and because the production staff and crew are in a massive rut, and they can't (or won't) try any other way.
quote:
Hire the junior wrtiters from "Andromeda" or
God, I hope not! Andromeda sucks even worse than Enterprise! There were a few intelligent people, but they all got canned in the Great Sorbo Takeover. And most of those good writers are former Trek veterans anyway, and specifically LEFT the franchise for greener pastures.
quote:
Long Term:
They can't run this for seven or more years. They need to end it with in two years, with probably the Romulan War. Honestly i'll appreciate the pre-E getting rocked.

"Moichandising! Moichandising! Where the real money from the movie is made!" -- Yogurt

Star Trek is nothing more than a huge cash cow now, and the suits up at the top don't care about the writing as long as they've got obsessive-compulsive fanboys by their short-and-curlies who will buy worthless plastic phase-pistols because they think it's cool. The only thing that will force a major change in Trek is a massive ratings plunge that will induce the Paramount execs to hand Mr. Berman and Mr. Braga their pink slips, and either hire a completely new production staff or else let the franchise lay fallow for a few years to rest.

Now, shows have made turnarounds before. Deep Space Nine itself had a major change in its series premise, but I attribute its success to Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe, and the fact that the higher-ups had a hands-off policy with regard to that series. The DS9 writers were creative and willing to stick their necks out; sometimes they screwed up, but they took chances and tried to be interesting.

Enterprise is nothing of the sort. Enterprise is safe, and trying to be "sexy." But they're just trying to dress up a worn-down old house with some flashy gold trimmings. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are perfectly secure in their jobs right now -- they've got big fat paychecks from Paramount, and there is (or was) a guaranteed fan base ready to swallow whatever drivel they put out -- and thus they don't take chances. They've forgotten one of the major tenets of Trek:

"Risk is our business!"

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andromeda sucks even worse than Enterprise! There were a few intelligent people, but they all got canned in the Great Sorbo Takeover.

Not all of 'em. The writing team known as ZackAsh is still quite good.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
The writing team known as ZackAsh is still quite good.

I stand corrected. Those guys *ARE* good -- and they wrote the only post-"Orobouros" episode that I actually thought was good: "The Knight, Death, and the Devil."

[Smile]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:

This would make a good CG of interstellar war with impulse fighters.

Yes! With the shooting and the explosions and the things going boom! That's what we want in Star Trek! Wars. Of some kind. And death. And kewl SFX. And more explosions. AND TEH DEF!ANTZ BL0W!N UP TEH BORGZ WIT TH!ER TYPE XXXXXXIIII PHAZ0RZ!!!!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Heh.

What point is a war, if there's no drama or reason behind it? What good is the shooting if the people doing the shooting are idiots?

Archer is a dimwit. T'Pol is a clueless bimbo. Tucker is just plain irritating. Phlox is ALSO plain irritating. Reed is a caricature. Sato is a crybaby. Mayweather is a potted plant.

You can't fix a building if the foundation is faulty.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Good to see that Mr. Berman's hindsight is 20/20... [Roll Eyes]

http://www.trektoday.com/news/171202_02.shtml

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They can't run this for seven or more years."

Watch them.

Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they really wanted to jumpstart the series now the only way ANY writer could do it would be to search online for script ideas in peoples personall web pages.... goto the source for all of the good ideas. I know that pretty much all the "NEW" tech seen in nemesis me and my retarded friends already thought up ...
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very nicely going to leave that alone.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps