Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$Precious Cargo$$$ HAPPY NOW (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$Precious Cargo$$$ HAPPY NOW
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That it would also rid the world of TOS reruns. And TNG reruns.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

1/ Almost all of those short stories would be completely unworkable in Star Trek form. Okay, "Arena" worked, but Star Trek is about how the plot influences the main characters. Taking other stories and fitting them in would be horribly jarring. Plus, a lot of those stories would be full of the "same old chiches".

Clearly we disagree on this matter. Filmed (and televised) science fiction has typically lagged behind the literary variety in terms of concepts. The fact that Larry Niven was able to take one his own short stories and make it into a TAS episode illustrates that it can be done. Heck, that same story could have been done as a TNG episode with Starfleet versus the Romulans fighting over an Iconian weapon. There are a lot of other stories that could be similarly adapted.

quote:
2/ If you got rid of "reset button stories", about 99.9% of every Star Trek story ever made would have to be burned.
"Reset button stories" wouldn't include most of TOS and a lot of TNG. It would throw away most of Voyager...but who's that hurting? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but then again "The Wounded Sky" was a decent story and i dont know how they made "Where No One Has Gone Before" out of it.. its clear that the TV format really rapes a story.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
but then again "The Wounded Sky" was a decent story and i dont know how they made "Where No One Has Gone Before" out of it.. its clear that the TV format really rapes a story.

I'd be interested in how much Duane changed of her own volition and how much was forced by the producers.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
probably no say.. i remember hearing peter david talk once, about how he sold an idea to TNG once, and once they bought it it was out of his hands.

they took it, rearranged it, cut it up and made a completely different story out of it, and then didnt make it. ah, tv-land!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"once they bought it it was out of his hands"

Hmm... not the kind of legal leg I'd want to $tand on.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps