Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Will we ever see a another Starship? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Will we ever see a another Starship?
Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I hope maybe next season they build another starship.

Enterprise all alone is kinda boring.

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, like Voyager? And TOS? And TNG? And DS9?

Do you mean you hope that they build another NX Class ship? I believe we'll see another star fleet ship, but not of the NX class. Actually, that's what I'm hoping will happen. I don't think they'll spend more than an episode with it though.

I think the whole point of the show is that they're out there alone. Most of the series seem to concentrate on one ship or group. We didn't see a new starship design in TNG until the Nebula (I believe...). TOS never gave us anything but the Constitution and the glowy blobs. Voyager made us wait for the the Prometheus in season... 3? And DS9 didn't give us the Defiant until season 3 either.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you're watching the wrong show, buddy.

Even if the Earth Starfleet did launch even several other NX-class starships right "now" (in the series), the chance of the Enterprise running into them -- even on purpose -- is extremely slim. Or do you think that the Humans would send their other starhips to follow the same route already charted by the NX-01 instead of heading out in other directions?

The Enterprise is currently about 100 light-years away from Earth. Assuming that the second NX-class starship (NX-02, presumably) set out at approximately a 30� angle away from the NX-01's trajectory and travelled 50 light-years, the NX-02 would be over 60 light-years away from the NX-01. If the NX-02 travelled another 50 light-years along that trajectory, they'd still be 50 light-years away from the NX-01. And all this is considering a very narrow 30� angle -- which is tiny considering the vastness of local space, something you don't seem to quite understand.

The only forseeable scenario where we could credibly meet other NX-class starships is if Starfleet specifically gathers several of them in one place for something other than exploration -- say, to fight the Romulans. (Note: I am *not* necessarily endorsing that plot line, just offering a possibility.) Sending multiple exploration ships into the same region of space makes practically no sense at all.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

Whoa! Now I feel all alone. [Frown]

Thanks for the great answers.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still not sure what you're asking: Are you hoping to see another NX class ship, or just another Starfleet ship?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

Yeah another NX class.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We didn't see a new starship design in TNG until the Nebula
Wrong. TNG's first "original" Starfleet design (besides the Enterprise) was the Constellation-Class.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, wasn't the first TNG design that proto-Ambassador sketch + wall-model?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure they mean ship models designed as spacefaring counterparts to the Enterprise-D. As I recall the order of fresh saucers (outside of kitbashes) we saw on TNG was: Galaxy, Constellation, Ambassador, Nebula, (T'Pau), (Soyuz), Sydney, Olympic/Hope - Sovereign, Akira, Norway, Sabre, Steamrunner, Holoship.

DS9: Danube, (Erewhon), Maqui/Federation Fighters, Defiant, Yeager, Curry, Tug, Centuar.

Voyager had: Itself, (Yellowstone), Aeon, Prometheus, (Dauntless), Raven, Relativity, Nova.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, wasn't the first TNG design that proto-Ambassador sketch + wall-model?
The painting wasn't used, so it doesn't count.

The wall model debuted at the same time as the desktop model of the Stargazer, and since the wall model really wasn't the eventual design for the Ent-C, the Stargazer design wins.

But as far as an acutal filmed studio model goes, it was the Stargazer.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Even if the Earth Starfleet did launch even several other NX-class starships right "now" (in the series), the chance of the Enterprise running into them -- even on purpose -- is extremely slim. Or do you think that the Humans would send their other starhips to follow the same route already charted by the NX-01 instead of heading out in other directions?

You're assuming ENT makes sense, and that NX-01 is following some sort of planned-out route, versus C'pt Archer just saying "fire the fruiton torpedoes, make us go that way". [Razz] How many times have we heard of the ship doubling back, visiting populated systems, and so forth? They can hardly be traveling anywhere near a straight forward course.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they do seem to double back a lot, and at that, they dont seem to really be doing any serious exploring.

Its as if they just jump on the expressway/freeway/autobahn and get off every few exits that have some sight of interest. If they were doing a more strenuous job at it they would be hitting every 'exit' and not be so far out from Earth in just the first year and a half.

Considering also that they have thrice visited the Vulcan/Andorian spacezone, so either their territory is smattered all over the quadrant or the enterprise is indeed doing an elliptical course around earth as they venture out in space, encountering the Vulcan/Andorian spacezone each of the 3 possible revolutions they would have made in that elliptical course pattern.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Crap. Yes... I forgot about the Constellation Class...

*smacks head*

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Aurora was a Federation ship, or was implied to be, as I recall. Of course, it was just a Tholian ship with nacelles stuck on, so I guess that may or may not count.

Crazy spoilers may follow!

There's a good chance of seeing a Starfleet ship or two in the upcoming fiftieth episode flashback. Not NX class, though.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

The Aurora was just blandly identified as a "space cruiser", its been a while since I have seen the episode, but thats what the encyclopedia identifies it as.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps