Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Will we ever see a another Starship? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Will we ever see a another Starship?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg have (has?) more than a little difficulty relating to such primitive uniminded creatures as humans, hence Locutus, and the queen, and Seven, and so on. But we've never seen them interact with another hive mind, or some other consciousness on their level. For all we know the Borg may be quite chatty when they're not around their intellectual inferiors.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg don't seem to be all that bright a lot of the time. . perhaps the Q have taunted them before, and the Collective reacted by assuming some of the species local to that part of space were much more powerful than they realised and went ahead and assimilated them?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg seem to be stuck in an awkard position in which it is irrelevant to assimilate inferior species and quite difficult to assimilate superior species. It seems like they are already past their most glorious days.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Guinan seemed to think that the Federation might one day establish relations with the collective (many years un the future and if Q had'nt blown the whole thing)so mabye the collective has changed drastically in the past few hundred years.
When did she say that? If anyone besides Picard was keen on destroying them, it was Guinan. Was it when she changed her mind in "I, Borg"?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was at the end of Q-Who. Something to the effect of "Someday, it might be possible to establish a relationship with them.. when you're ready. But for now, you're just a *something* to them... and... since they're aware of your existance..." "They will be coming." "You can count on it."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this thread is no longer about seeing another starship, just what exactly are we trying to understand about the Borg? I think I got lost in the transition.

The thing I don't understand...and this contains spoilers, and/or I dont want my ass reamed if I dont think it is but someone else does....

$

$

$

$

$

Why is it if these supposed 24th Century Borg who have been disconnected from the hive mind for 100 years and frozen wake up being still Borg-driven and not "individuals" as we have seen so many many many many times before?

First they imply that Borg, once disconnected, mellow right out and become normal or confused or whatever they were in the first, yet dont need to lose there cybernetic garb ("I, Borg", "Decent"), but then they did need to lose their cybernetic garb to survive ("Unity").

Then we see 7of9 react violently to being disconnected...and at need to lose 90% of her cybernetic garb and in essence do so in a total opposite manner than we saw in Hughs' conversion back into humanity (however I understand that perhaps 7of9 was done in the manner she was for eyecandy and 'character development'). We also see the similar with Icheb and the clan during the last two season as well.

I think also there may have been the instance where 7of9 was in a crashed sphere and those around her began losing their Borg essence in a matter of hours when they were disconnected and yet she kinda didn't, but then again she was the stubborn type, and it might have had to do with the amount of time/her-life she was a Borg ("Survival Instinct").

And I'm not going to even touch upon the rest of Unimatrix Zero and all that, because we are all familiar with that disaster, but what I am getting at is that over time we have seen a gradual change in what it takes to deBorgifiy a Borg back into humanity. Now they are telling us that after 100 years frozen in the ice, or whatever the condition, they just magically reactivate as their own solidarity out-of-time, out-of-space Borg collective, to which hive are they part of? Surely it isnt the 22nd Century Borg hive mind as Picard, Hawk, and Worf foiled the Borg attempt contact their alter-egos.

I think I liked it better when the Borg were still a mystery. Hell even the Romulans are still somewhat of a mystery and they have had a hell of lot more exposure over the last 35years than the Borg in the last 15years.

Curse Voyager, curse it to hell!! [Mad]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To hell? Where do you think it came from?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] No shit! [Big Grin]
Somehow I doubt the Voyager DVD colllections will be a big hit..... [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Anti Spark
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Somehow I doubt the Voyager DVD colllections will be a big hit.....

Really!?!

I was looking forward to it!
Whoa not so many yoyager fans!?!?!

IP: Logged
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody likes Voyager.... [Mad] <---if he wasn't red I'd call that look :constipated:

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be in the minority, but I'd rather buy Enterprise's first season over Voyager's.
I could see buying season five or mabye even six but I'd pass on shelling out $100 for a season thats 70% bad Trek.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post is just a figment of your imagination.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get back on the not-subject..

..I gather the usual thing for isolated Borg is to start acting on individual impulses. For people like Hugh or Seven, who have known nothing better, those impulses cry for a quick return to the Collective bliss. For others, there may be different impulses.

The second stage involves running into the limitations of Drone physique. If you can de-Drone yourself, and want to, you do, like Picard. If you can't, but want, you start to go mad, or develop survival procedures like partial re-Collectivization as in "Survival Instinct". If you can, but don't want, and a stupid EMH does it for you anyway, you start to go mad, or develop survival procedures like Seven. If you can't, and won't, you just try to re-Collectivize the best you can, like the Borg kids from "Collective". And wait for the larger Collective to return your calls.

If the Borg in "Regeneration" are going to be the ones from "First Contact", then their impulses are unknown: they could be fresh stock from the "FC" battle, and desperate to get free, or veteran Drones hell-bent on getting back to the Collective. They probably won't have the means to de-Drone themselves, not if they are crash victims on a primitive world and lacking the access to a fully equipped (if dead) Cube that the "Unity" folks had. So it would be rather natural for them to form a local Collectivelet and to try and/or seek out the rest of the Collective...

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, hey... like Timo said these drones are from FC, and might include some assimilated Enterprise-E crew members.

They run into the NX-01 out there, and say "what"? Kirk's Enterprise was the first Starfleet ship with that name! [Big Grin]

(Of course, since these drones are from the Borg sphere, it's unlikely there will be any Enterprise-E people in that wreckage.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Somehow the need to use this as an excuse to replace Merriweather with Lt. Hawk. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps