Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Will we ever see a another Starship? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Will we ever see a another Starship?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$Spoilers$

$

$

$

$

Doesn't the Enterprise encounter an assimilated Earth vessel in the Borg-episode?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too soon to tell. The whole plot hasn't been confirmed yet (though I have no doubt it will be.)
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regeneration confirmed

Yep its offical. Oh,Well at least we may see the human transport

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, this version of spoilers doesn't say anything at all about the "arctic terrain" being on Earth. Rather, it makes it sound as if the Borg would be found on some other planet entirely, as the scientists have a warp-capable transport ship rather than a hovercraft or a submarine.

The official blurb-length synopsis mentions a team on Earth, though...

Timo Saloniemi

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, the 22nd Century NX-01 will triumph over 24th Century Borg and their technology.

Almost makes me miss Voyager.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg are only as powerful as what they assimilate. An assimilated 22nd century transport would probably be no match for the NX-01. Witness "Drone", where the 29th century drone did some major ass-whoopin' to the 24th century ship.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, we really have no idea of what the Borg's overall power level will be like in the 22nd century. If you look at Q Who, there's a fair chance that the Enterprise could have destroyed that cube if they'd have kept firing. But then the Borg adapt, and become seemingly invincible. By the time of First Contact, Starfleet has managed to "adapt" back, as it's weapons are now damaging to the Borg shop. Just not much.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
The Borg are only as powerful as what they assimilate. An assimilated 22nd century transport would probably be no match for the NX-01. Witness "Drone", where the 29th century drone did some major ass-whoopin' to the 24th century ship.

Witness "The Raven" (at least I think that was the eps), in which Seven steals a shuttle and overwhelms a small fleet of ships.

It's not the size, it's how you use it. [Roll Eyes]

And these are 24th Century drones who have access to 24th Century technology. Ain't no Quantum torpedoes around.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
In fact, we really have no idea of what the Borg's overall power level will be like in the 22nd century. If you look at Q Who, there's a fair chance that the Enterprise could have destroyed that cube if they'd have kept firing. But then the Borg adapt, and become seemingly invincible. By the time of First Contact, Starfleet has managed to "adapt" back, as it's weapons are now damaging to the Borg shop. Just not much.

Possibly, but then wouldn't have First Contact been a pretty useles movie? If the Borg really were that weak in the 22nd century, then the Borg Queen contacting the Borg of the 21st to assimilate Earth early would have been pretty useless. They'd have to at least get by the Vulcans. At least if we assume 21st century Vulcan ships >= NX-01.
Still Raven pushed back first contact with the Borg before TNG? Now this is going to push it back to the 22nd century? That means the Borg would be sitting around on their ass for over two centuries after learning about Earth before sending a cube our way. Unless the Borg in ENT don't get a chance to send back a signal.

Oh well.

I guess we'll find out, won't we?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, ST7 sort of pushed it back to the 2290s, and ST8 pushed it back to the 2060s.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That means the Borg would be sitting around on their ass for over two centuries after learning about Earth before sending a cube our way.
Actually I think Q caused the events of Q Who - and beyond. I don't believe the Borg would have worried about the Enterprise if it didn't just appear out of no where in a flash of light and then disappear the sameway a few hours later. That's tech I'm sure they'd want, except it's Q-tech. And The Borg probably don't "get" or "comprehend" something like the Q, so they keep thinking it's Fed tech.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt this is a popular opinion, but I really enjoyed the bit in "Q2" where Q the Younger got a bit of a chewing out from Q the Elder about conjuring up a few Borg cubes. "Don't taunt the Borg!" Why? Well, it seems to me that it would be just the opposite of what Andrew said. I have no doubt the Q could wipe them out if they wanted, but I also suspect that the Borg, to the extent they are aware of the Q, consider them as just another obstacle to surpass. In other words, I doubt there's anything like fear or respect there, and we know that the Q cultivate those things just as much as they do physical power.

Essentially, I guess I'm saying that the Borg probably can't be controlled by the Q in the sense that "smaller" entities can, short of destroying them completely, and that might bother the Q.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That means the Borg would be sitting around on their ass for over two centuries after learning about Earth before sending a cube our way. Unless the Borg in ENT don't get a chance to send back a signal.
Well, the Borg have been tooling around in UFP space well before BoBW ... the Federation and Romulan outposts in "The Neutral Zone"?

Also, the conduit techonology may be relatively new to the Borg. They may have only assimilated it recently. The Borg of the 22nd century might still be relying on regular warp engines.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or they might have had riper pickings in the 22nd century. Then they overharvested, ended up with nothing but pathetic second-rate civilizations left in the still-to-be-assimilated garden, and had to stoop to sending a Cube over to Earth to see if they could stomach this green civilization. The first few suspicious bites proved...

Well, what did they prove? That Earth was sour and tough to bite? That trying to bite Earth made Old McQ angry? That the best way to eat this one was piecemeal, to avoid chipping one's teeth? Or to let it rot in its own juices until it softened a bit?

It's an inherent property of the Borg to sit on their asses while an entire galaxy waits, either trembling or blissfully ignorant, for assimilation. If the Borg kept on moving, they'd have overrun everybody already. Apparently, they just have different work ethics...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Borg of the 22nd century have a diffrent mantality entirely.
Guinan seemed to think that the Federation might one day establish relations with the collective (many years un the future and if Q had'nt blown the whole thing)so mabye the collective has changed drastically in the past few hundred years.
The closest Borg have to evolution is via assimilation: mabye they assimilated technology (Iconion or Preserver) for the Transwarp conduits and got a unexpected personality upgrade in the process. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps