Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » These days. Warren Ellis. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: These days. Warren Ellis.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enterprise is worse than Voyager - that is a statistically proven fact [Smile]

And yes, Enterprise has integrity only when it is required by plot - witness Vulcans reactions after P'jem accident, for example.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But third season ENT is a *lot* better than the first two.

The only problem I see with this show is that it NEEDS a Big Giant Reset Button at the end of it, to reconcile it with the rest of Trek. Because all this Time War and Expanse stuff clearly can't exist in the 'real' Star Trek universe.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the third season is indeed better than the first two, but it still leaves us with two bad seasons [Smile]

And yes, this show does need a big reset button [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The only problem I see with this show is that it NEEDS a Big Giant Reset Button at the end of it, to reconcile it with the rest of Trek. Because all this Time War and Expanse stuff clearly can't exist in the 'real' Star Trek universe.

*dies*

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... VOY didn't have a good storyline, and ENT has no integrity with the rest of Trek.

ENT will need a big reset button to bring itself back to "norm" and the problem with that is reset buttons also destroy the shows internal integrity "We can't write something that will last, so let's not, say we did, and then take it all back when we have to."

Perhaps it would have been better for the Vulcan's to have shotdown an Andorian in "Broken Bow" -- Gee, that actually sounds interesting--- do you see a need for a reset there? The Vulcan-Andorian conflict doesn't seem unreasonable either [since it has been portrayed as more of a cold war than a hot one].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody consider that ENT was designed with an overall story arc that is supposed to end with a reset to make it follow what is already accepted.

I know most you hate timetravel/reset episodes and I agree that to use them because you don't want to find a better way to end a show is lazy. However is it such a bad idea if that was the intent from the beginning.

Just my two cents

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone consider that maybe, just maybe, it already does fit with what is "already accepted"?

Oh, wait...they did.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Why? [Confused]

There has been only ONE real, undeniable continuity error between ENT and the rest of Trek: The Romulans having cloaking devices. Everything else only violates fan speculation or Okudaic conjecture.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps its Enterprise that is the TRUE trek and at the end of the temporal war there will be no Constitution class or Kirk etc.....

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere, for reasons he doesn't fully understand, Brannon Braga has just come in his pants. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

He lives with Jeri Ryan. I think he understands fully.

--------------------

Kazeite
Member # 970

quote:
Originally posted by J:
Ok... VOY didn't have a good storyline,

Well, I think that "Kazon spy" and "B'elanna/Tom romance" storylines were pretty good [Smile]

And there's another "real, undeniable continuity error" in ENT, straight in the beginning - Klingon First Contact. Archer himself thought after that that Klingons "owe us one", and now we know that it's not the "disastrous" FC that is (probably) going to lead to hostilities with Klingons, but battle with Duras, escape from Rura Penthe (which is another continuity error [Smile] ), etc.

WizArtist, I don't know if you like James Dixon or not, but right now you actually agree with him - he also thinks that Enterprise is Trek reboot [Cool]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He lives with Jeri Ryan. I think he understands fully.
The bastard!
quote:
Patrick Stewart in a wifebeater can kick the shit out of a dozen cyborg goths on his own, but big Scott Bakula needs a bunch of jarheads to hold his hand.
No, but Warren Ellis is superexcellent.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say a human farmer shooting at a crash-landed Klingon in the middle of a Kansas cornfield is pretty disasterous. And even though the High Cuncil grudgingly thanked Archer for bringing them the DNA info intact, there was already tension there and hostilities began immediately thereafter, as seen in "Unexpected." Besides, without first contact being made, there would never *be* any hostilities, so under any circumstances one could say that it "led to" them.

However, you're right about Rura Penthe. That's one other genuine gaffe. Of course, it may be rationalized by saying that Archer didn't really "escape." His crew paid off an official to ge him released. Either that or Martia was just playing up the "no one has ever escaped from Rura Penthe" bit to arouse Kirk's egomaniacal tendancies... [Wink]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To plan from the beginning to reset an entire work is no different than saying it isn't good enough to stand forever. Of course, the fact is that is true with ENT even if they don't reset.

And as for fan spectulation--- what is so wrong with 30 years of fan spectulation, which I might add has never really been contradicted. Since Balance of Terror we have known that the Earth-Romulan War was a and more likely THE primary factor in the creation of the Federation. We have also known that it was the Romulans who attacked, however there has never been anything definative on if the Romulans attacked Earth. We also have known that Earth was totally unprepared for such an attack, and that it was the first alien conflict. None of this jives with ENT, yet it has been accepted gospel to the majority of fans--- including many casual fans [people who'd faithfully watch the show but never send the time of day to this forum]. I don't know why, perhaps it's because they never agreed with this anyway, but people who aren't shaking their heads and saying "yeah, that's how it is" to this, you're only apologists for B&B and their no talent writing staff.

There is more drama within a framed universe, and that's what was Trek before ENT.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps