Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » These days. Warren Ellis. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: These days. Warren Ellis.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. ENT has to contend with 30+ years of 'pre-TOS' fandom, which at times was pretty much a consistent history.

Another apparent inconsistency with other Trek seems to be the existence of the *huge* Delphic Expanse obviously very close to the core worlds. Not to mention the Xindi attack.

And of course, the Temporal War and all that stuff might not 'have happened'. But thinking about time travel makes my head hurt.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the Delphic Expanse is caused by the Xindi Spheres, so once they are deactivated it will no longer exist...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...it has been accepted gospel to the majority of fans--- including many casual fans [people who'd faithfully watch the show but never send the time of day to this forum]."

Um... People who watch the shows, but aren't like us, don't care what a bunch of fans have made up as backstory. If they're lucky, they remember that there was some episode of TOS that mentioned an old war with the Romulans. For them to even know about this "gospel" you describe, they would have to read Web sites like this, or the pre-Internet fandom publications.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Another apparent inconsistency with other Trek seems to be the existence of the *huge* Delphic Expanse obviously very close to the core worlds. Not to mention the Xindi attack.

I really do struggle with this bizaro world logic that states "if something hasn't been mentioned before, it never existed."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I'd say a human farmer shooting at a crash-landed Klingon in the middle of a Kansas cornfield is pretty disasterous.

Not from the Klingon perspective. [Smile]
According to novel, Klaang is actually grateful that farmer shot him in the chest, as opposed to Sulibans who tried to shot him in the back. (and while we're at it, while running away from Sulibans he was wondering whether he can run backwards. No, really.)

quote:
And even though the High Cuncil grudgingly thanked Archer for bringing them the DNA info intact, there was already tension there and hostilities began immediately thereafter, as seen in "Unexpected."
Please, don't remind me this episode [Embarrassed]
(is this true this idea was deemed "too stupid" when originally brought up as possible Voyager scenario idea?)
And even though Klingons acted hostile at the beginning of this episode, it was not because of "Broken Bow", and Enterprise crew ended up doing them a favor. Once again.

quote:
Besides, without first contact being made, there would never *be* any hostilities, so under any circumstances one could say that it "led to" them.
This is possible, but rather unlikely. Picard used the Klingons example to show that botched first contact can lead directly to hostilities, not that one should avoid all contact because alien races he may meet may in future turn hostile.

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who is interested in Ellis' fiction should pick up "Transmetropolitan."

Yes... it IS a comic book, but it is really quite wonderful. I'd recommend starting at the beginning and checking out the first year or so. There are trade paperbacks available.

And if someone else has mentioned this already, I apologize.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transmetropolitan has the most feared hand-weapon in all of fiction.

I cant find me a pair of Spider's glasses for blood or money though....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has the "Ultimate Nullifier"?

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still can't believe you're claiming that ENT is worse than frigging VOYAGER. I mean, come on... [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? [Smile]

I honestly can't think of anything that hasn't been done better in Voyager than Enterprise.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Character development?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Kazeite
Member # 970

Yes, that has been done better in Voyager too [Wink]
(hint - the helmsman actually had more that one line per episode [Big Grin] )

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad the first officer didn't.

Well, worthwhile lines, anyway.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Vulcan that actually kinda acts Vulcan?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. That's not automatically good. After all, Worf was a Klingon who barely acted Klingon, and he was still a good character.

(And as an aside, it's a tribute to Robbie McNeil that Paris was even half a good a character as he was considering that his total character development for the series was 98% done by the end of the pilot.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps