Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transwarp Drive? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Transwarp Drive?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Seven say that transwarp drive is like slipstream drive? And the Borg use some kind of shields to avoid the thing that happend in "Shattered".

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

letsalope
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trans warp does work for the federation, in the future
in all good things(warp 13)trans warp is faster than warp 10.which means they are able to contract normal space closer to reach a further distance quicker

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well since other later glimpses to the future Trek have disproved elements from AGT, it's not at all certain that future will come true.
For one, the Enterprise didn't live long to be able to get the upgrades, it's resting on Veridian III now, you know. Or is that a spoiler for you?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Warp 13 is a recalibration of the warp scale, since in the current scale Warp 10 = infinite speed, and last time I checked, nothing is faster then infinity...

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

letsalope
Ex-Member

have you been reading long 359.i didn't say that
warp 13 was faster than light.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's generally assumed that Warp 13 would be faster than light, as warp 1 is equal to the speed of light, so Warp 13 would be quite a bit more.

"in the future in all good things(warp 13)trans warp is faster than warp 10."

No, it isn't. Here's it simplfied as much as possible:

Current Warp 10 = Infinity.
Current Warp 9.999999 < Infinity.
Current Warp 1 = Speed Of Light (You seemingly forgot this)

Future Warp 13 <> Infinity.
Future Warp 13 <> Current Warp 10.

Therefore, Future Warp 13 is not faster than Current Warp 10, and is not transwarp.

Oh, and The359 made a perfectly good response. You didn't need to get stupid.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 09, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Nothing was said in "AGT. . ." about transwarp.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

letsalope
Ex-Member

ultra magnus
yes future warp 13 <> is infinite
yes warp 10 <> is infinite
and yes warp 13 is not faster than warp 10
but it will get you to a further distance quicker
LIKE I SAID WARP 13 ISN'T FASTER THAN LIGHT.
and by the way, warp 1 isn't the speed of light,
it's impules just like warp 10, but in a warp feild

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why do they call it warpspeed?

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"and by the way, warp 1 isn't the speed of light,"

Er, yes it is. According to, well, pretty much everyone who works in the Trek universe. Hell, I think even Brannon Braga knows that warp 1 = speed of light.

"it's impules just like warp 10, but in a warp feild"

Okaaaayyy. Are we using a different definition of impulse here? Most people use the following system.

Impulse = slower than light speed/normal stars
Warp = Light speed, or greater/streaky stars

Now, with the possible exception of (I think) Contagion (With the stupid "Increase to warp 6 Mr La Forge" "Aye sir, full impulse" line), every episode of Star Trek has followed this.

Warp 10 (theoretically) can not be reached, because it is infinite speed. And at infinite speed, you would be everywhere at the same time. And since in "Threshold" Paris didn't end up on Galifrey in the distant Flicktop galaxy, I'm going for the "he just went really close to warp 10. Warp 9.99999999999999999999etc" answer.

But, anyway, again:

Warp 1 = The speed of light, or c
Warp 9 = over a thousand times faster than c (I think. Rusty memory).
Warp 10 = infinite speed. You'd be there as you left.
Warp 13 = faster than infinite speed. How would that work? You arrive before you leave?

Therefore, the only answer is that the warp scale had been recalibrated, so that warp 10 was no longer infinite speed. Perhaps they went back to the TOS version?

Of course, the real world answer is that Moore and Braga were just screwing with us. Lots of sacred cows were sacrificed in All Good Things. The Enterprise having three warp engines (odd no of warp engines = bad, said Mr Roddenberry). The Enterprise cloaking (bad, said Mr Roddenberry). The fact that the shot of Cambridge was actually Oxford (bad, according to a mum of a mate of mine. She threw stuff at the screen. Maybe). And the fact that the episode agreed with most theories about the age of the Earth, and evolution (bad, according to, er, some people).

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, not that I agree completely, but what I think letsalope is getting to is that a ship traveling at warp speed is traveling at sublight, but it is traveling at sublight in *subspace*. Subspace allows a ship traveling at sublight to appear to travel faster than light in realspace. This, I believe, is the theory proposed in Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.

Though I don't think it works that way. AFAIK, what TNG:TM says is that the warp engines physically warp space to travel, no propulsion utilizing rocket-type thrust systems is involved. I'm not sure off the top of my head how subspace fits into all of this. I have to check up on that.

Yes, Warp 10 is infinity. The chart in the Encyclopedia uses the sideways 8, and I think we all know what that means.

As it's been said already, warp 13 is only mentioned in the episode All Good things, and I think we all assume it's a recalibration of the system. If you read the ST Encyplopedia or Chronology, that's what Okuda proposes.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. Standard impulse is 0.25 the speed of light, since anything higher would induce time-dilation effects as proposed by Einstein. Also, anything higher would probably result in starships crashing into planets every time impulse was engaged within a star system. 75,000 kps is pretty darn fast.
Daniel
Member # 453

P.P.S. Didn't Paris say that he was occupying all space and time simultaneusly when he first returned to Voyager, and that he returned by thinking about going back to the ship? So was he or was he not at warp 10?
I'm confused.

letsalope
Ex-Member

altair, they call it warp speed because they warp space .
letsalope
Ex-Member

well done daniel, at least you have grasped on what i
had wrote. when i said impules, i mean't full impulse
(psyliam).
and to the inexperianced gurus before daniel
read up on warp theory.

p.s daniel i think paris made it to warp 10

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps