Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transwarp Drive? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Transwarp Drive?
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warp 10 is not actually infinite speed. Its a theoretical point of infinite speed along the same speed extrapolation curve as the current warp scale. If you get my drift.

Going by that, if you continued to use the same factor to increase the number of times the speed of light that you are travelling you can achieve warp 15 (or whatever) and set warp 20 (as a multiple of C) as infinite speed.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't that be a rather big project? Many worlds would have to synchronize their efforts, much paperwork, I gather. They must've had very good reason to make such a modification in AGT...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read up on warp theory? Do you mean the type proposed by Mr Scott's Guide to the Enterprise (which you are following)? Or the type proposed by the TNG tech manual? Or one of the 50,000 other theories proposed to explain it?

BTW, I did reread what you posted. And it still doesn't make sense. For example:

"and yes warp 13 is not faster than warp 10 but it will get you to a further distance quicker."

Soooo, you're saying that warp 13 is slower, or the same speed as warp 10. And yet it allows you to reach your destination quicker? Surely that means it's, well, faster? And if it's faster than warp 10, it's faster than infinity? Or, at the very least, the moment the Enterprise went to warp 13, it should have arrived at it's destination.
Unless you're proposing that some sort of time-dilation effect came into play, but the TNG manual states (I think) than time-dilation doesn't happen at warp speeds.

So, huh?

Regarding the recalibration of the warp scale. Thinking about it, the idea that they've gone back to the TOS scale isn't relaly satisfying either. Didn't the old Enterprise manage warp 13 in That Which Survives? Sure it was a couple of seconds away form breaking apart, but it still hit it. Going by that, Warp 13 wouldn't really be very fast for the Ent-D. Especially the future Ent-D.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited February 15, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*is so impressed the youngster remembers the ep was called "That Which Survives" that. . .* I am for Liam Kavanagh. . . I must be with him. . . *reaches out*

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pfff, theories, theories...

[sarcasm mode]

Recalibration of the warp scale makes sense. Why? So captains don't have to order "increase to warp 9.99999 Mr. Helmsdude" and name all the decimals. Starships get faster you know, so instead of having to name seven numbers behind the decimal point each time, some incredibly smart person named Bob proposed to the engineers "hey what if instead of warp 9.99999999999999 we call it warp 13 and place warp 999 as infinite speed??????"

[/sarcasm mode]

None of this "faster than infinity" nonsense.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, this thread is getting interesting.

Okay, several points. Who said that they reverted to the TOS scale? The TOS scale, I believe, places warp factors at the cube of the speed of light. What if they recalibrated the scale to make the current warp 10 warp 9 and made the rest fractional increases, such as the new warp 10 equating to the old 9.99, and warp 11 to 9.9999 and so on. I think someone mentioned this idea, above, but in terms of riducule.

This would work, too, since I believe the power use/velocity curve given is a reversed exponential graph. As you approach infinity, you get less bang for your buck, less speed for your power.

also, directly from TNG:TM -

"The propulsive effect is achieved by a number of factors working in concert. First, the field formation is controllable in a fore to aft direction. As the plasma injecros fire sequentially, the warp field layers build according to the pulse frequency in the plasma, and press upon each other as previously discussed. The cumulative field layer forces reduce the apparent mass of the vehicle and impart the required velocities. The critical transition point occurs when the spacecraft appears to an outside observer to be traveling faster than c. As the warp field energy reaches 1000 millicochranes, the ship appears driven across the c boundary in less than Planck time, 1.3times 10 to the negative 43 sec, warp physics insuring that the ship would never be precisely at c. The three forward coils of each nacelle operate with a slight frequency offset to reinforce the field ahead of the Bussard ramscoop and envelop the Saucer Module. This helps create the field asymmetry required to drive the ship forward."

There it is, in a nutshell. Letsalope was canonically correct. The ship does not ever exceed the speed of light. It *appears* to break the c barrier at 1000 millicochranes, but only to an outside observer. It will never reach 300,000 kps.

Comments?

thespaceboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya. Newbie Lurker here, just thought I'd share my theory

The TNG warp formula is c=w^10/3 up until Warp 9. From Warp 9 to 10, it approaches infinity.
I would guess that the AGT scale continues the w^10/3 equation past Warp 9. It might asign a new Warp Factor as infinite, but I don't think AGT gave us any indication of this, besides the fact that Warp 10 is no longer infinte speed.

code:

AGT? (c=w^10/3)..........TNG (from ST enc)...
Warp 9= 1516c............Warp 9= 1516c.......
Warp 10= 2154c...........Warp 9.2= 1649c.....
Warp 11= 2960c...........Warp 9.6= 1909c.....
Warp 12= 3954c...........Warp 9.9= 3054c.....
Warp 13= 5166c ..........Warp 9.99= 7912c ...

Of course, this is all conjecture. AGT could have been using an entirely new Warp formula, like c=w^11/3, or even c=w^4.

-The SpaceBoy

IP: Logged
letsalope
Ex-Member

evil lord. it is not the recalibration of the warp scale.at normal speed in a warp feild i think it is 3/4
of the speed of light, at maximum contracting of space at that time is 9.6 .between 9.6 and warp 10 is the speed between 3/4 of the speed of light speed and light speed,so it wouldn't be known as warp 13 so it is easier for captains not to say warp 9.9999.......

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recalibrating the warp scale is not something done lightly. IIRC, there are definite physics limitations to the scale. The "current" scale is such that it takes much less energy to travel at an integer warp factor than something only fractionally slower. Unless they somehow change the physics of warp drive, they can't recalibrate because integers won't match the low energy points.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The ship does not ever exceed the speed of light. It *appears* to break the c barrier at 1000 millicochranes, but only to an outside observer. It will never reach 300,000 kps."

Sorry, but I am sorely tempet to go "blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah, BLAH!"

It doesn't go faster than the speed of light in it's own bubble, but to the rest of the universe, it's going 1000 c? Sorry, but it's going faster than the speed of light.

Look, I know Trek fandom is built around nitpicking, but stopping a tread on warp to say that warp drive is slower than the speed of light, is well, uber-anal.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

devinclancy
Ex-Member

My thoughts on this, though I'm sure I'm re-hashing someone else's comments:

Whole warp factors are, in the TNG scale, distinct threshholds where the power consumption drops suddenly down. That's the onscreen excuse for why captains order warp 7 all the time instead of warp 6.999. Whole numbers are just more efficient. So I figure at some point in the AGT timeline someone discovered some more threshold levels above warp 9 where power usages drop the samw way. And they simply named them warp 10, 11, 12, 13 etc. Infinite speed was then renamed to warp 14 or 15 or something.

I think that's better than assuming they developed a completely new scale or went back to the TOS scale.

-Devin
(longtime lurker)

SIR SIG
Ex-Member

Oddly enough the reason the TOS TWD didn't work (kinda) [heard somewhere] was a high level of stress on the space frame. And thus bringing an average lifespan of a ship at say 50=years to something like 1/4 of that.

That was why It was deemed a failure.

And no I don't remember the source (scott's guide?) but I heard it many years ago and it could be as good as some of the answers around here!

------------------
An Aussie Trek Narrator

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Devin: I'd forgotten about the power drop off at whole warp numbers. Your theory makes sense. Have a pie!

------------------
-Bubbles

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, I know this is getting old, but I've been gone a while and felt the need to post a reply to this.

PsyLiam, Einstein's theory of relativity is based on what you just threw out the window. Relative observations made by observers in positions relative to each other. So, are you saying that you would rather completely ignore the accepted laws of physics and relativity?

If the ship *was* going faster than light, than time dilation and apparent increase in mass would occur as in any object exceeding 300,000 kps. Therefore we must conclude that the vessel itself is in fact not breaking that barrier. If you can explain your way around this minor fact, please feel free to do so.

The explanation of warp drive given in the TNG:TM *fits* even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on the surface. To toss it aside rather than try to explain it is more ignorant than anal. I much prefer to be anal.

Meanwhile, I will diligently research Galilean and Einsteinien principles of relativity to see if I can explain this in a more reasonable context and with more detail or, in fact, prove myself wrong.

Everyone please feel free to comment.

P.S. The explanation of hull stress cutting a vessel's potential lifespan seems much more reasonable than some of the explanations I've heard. The simple fact that Scott pulled the chips out of the computer couldn't possibly be the reason why they halted the project.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Erm, unless Okuda and Sternbach are, in fact, geniuses of the highest order, I sincerely doubt that the tech given for FTL flight in the tech-manual is anywhere approaching realistic. Warp drive does through most of the laws of physics out the window anyway.

BUT...I wasn't saying that their theories were "wrong" even in a Trek-universe sort of way. I was saying that pointing out that a ship going FTL is "tecnically" going slower than light in it's own bubble when it hasn't got anything to do with the conversation is at best anal, and at worst, a huge waste of time. Are we suppossed to put in qualifiers everytime we talk about warp speed?

Paris: "There's a Borg ship approaching. It's travelling slower than the speed of light, and it's 3 light years away."

Janeway: "Oh good. That gives us plenty of time to get away".

*Ship gets shot. Chakotay dies. Janeway is pissed. Everyone else cheers*

Janeway: "What happened?"

Paris: "Oh, it was going at warp 9.99999999billion. But it was "tecnically" travelling slower than the speed of light. So I'm right. BTW, we're about to die."

Janeway: "Duh".

------------------
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps