Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transwarp Drive? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Transwarp Drive?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except when they are subspace transporters (like those the Ferengi Bok used in TNG "Firstborn" - or was it "Bloodlines"?) or when they are Dominion long-range transporters, as in DS9 "Covenant". Those moved explicitly very much faster than light. The latter traversed some three lightyears at least, in a matter of minutes at most.

Standard Federation transporters might move at lightspeed. Or then slightly faster or slower, depending on the physics applying to these weird "phased matter streams".

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"psyliam, how many times do i have to say this, none of the ships travel faster than light".

Oh my dear God, I feel like I'm arguing with Omega (joke). Okay, how many times do I have to say, YES THEY DO!

"remembering warp isn't a speed it's a factor."

Huh? I'm pretty sure it's a speed. I haven't actually got my tech manual next to me (sorry), but the warp factors ARE speeds. These are probably wrong, but ignore that little nitpicky detail. Warp 1 is the speed of light (or 1c). Warp 2 is (say) 8 times the speed of light, or 8c. It goes up to over 1000c at over warp 9 and a bit.

"(only between 9.6 and 10) is when ships do actually have a slight speed increase."

No, the ships get faster the higher the warp facter they go at. Are you saying that a ship travelling at warp 6 is going the same speed as one going at warp 4? That's just, well, wrong. And, if I remember, there's a HUGE difference in speed between 9.6 and, say, 9.9. Since warp factor speeds increase exponentially, the difference between 9.6 and 9.9 is far greater than the difference between warp factor 1 and 2.

"transporters only travel at the speed of light.not faster!"

Light-speed is just as impossible as faster than light speed, if I recall correctly. Er, unless you're made up of light.

And I meant that from a physics point of view, Transporters are just as impossible as FTL drive, because for a transporter to work, you'd need to know both the position and movement of individual atoms. Or something like that. It's to do with that Heisenburg guy. I hate physics.

Anyway, why am I arguing this? Me! I mean, arguing that ships travel faster than light in Star Trek is the second most pointless argument ever after "the show is set in the future".

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

letsalope
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
timo,just because they are subspace transpoters
doesn't mean that they are traveling faster than light,
hense the word subspace.

and to psyliam,i'll put it to you in simple terms.
warp 2 is (say) 8 times the speed of light,no it's 8 times faster than light can travel(light speed).
and transporters do travel at the speed of light because they turn matter into energy,and energy has no mass, the same as light.

IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

hmmmmmmm i was under the impression that photons, being a fairly traditional particle DID have mass. light is definitely not the same thing as run of the mill energy, energy not being a particle in any situation.

--jacob

[This message has been edited by EdipisReks (edited March 09, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photons are massless particles. I think they have a rest mass, but I didn't quite make it that far in my physics course. Suffice it to say, for all practical purposes we can safely assume that a photon has zero mass.

We can also say that starships travel faster than light. Starships travel faster than light.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And light is certainly energy.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

What is the mass of a photon? If you're interested.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i stand corrected.
i didn't really mean that light was not energy, per se, but that it was different than, say, heat, which doesn't have an individual associated particle.

--jacob

[This message has been edited by EdipisReks (edited March 09, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was under the impression that heat was infra-red radiation, and that it was thus simply composed of relatively low-energy photons...

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> Well, I was under the impression that heat was infra-
> red radiation, and that it was thus simply composed
> of relatively low-energy photons...

No. "Heat" is just the motion of molecules. The faster they move and the more they collide, the hotter something is. Everything at a given temperature radiates a certain portion of the specturm. Stars, for instance, at thousands of degrees, radiate visible light.

The reason that using the infrared spectrum is sometimes called "heat vision" is because most things on Earth, at a few dozen degrees, radiate in the infrared portion of the spectrum, just outside of our eyesight.

Something really cold (interstellar dust, for instance) might radiate at radio wavelengths. Things that are really hot, such as the acretion disk just above a black hole's event horizon, radiate x-rays.

As an aside, everything actually emits photons at all wavelengths, just in varying proportions. When I say that the human body gives off infrared-level photons, that's just the wavelength it gives off most. I'm not sure what the emission rate is for a person's body, but it's not inconceivable that you give off a gamma ray or two every so often.

Simply: heat doesn't have a particle, it describes particle motion. Infra-red doesn't mean "hot," it just happens to be the photons associated with living things' temperatures.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[This message has been edited by Ryan McReynolds (edited March 10, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't think Tom Paris reached Warp 10. Warp 10 is when you occupy all points of space simultaneously... and later on B'Elanna said that they had aquired sectors of Data... why only sectors... why not Billions of parsecs??

OK, there might not have been enough storage in the shuttle's computer... but why just have info from nearby sectors... why not stuff from here and there... EVERYWHERE!

Also. Maybe he DID reach Warp 10, but not Transwarp... at onestage there they were interchanging the two terms which I believe are mutally exclusive.

Andrew
------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited March 10, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there was dialogue to the effect that the shuttle's sensors amassed sectors worth of navigation data before they reached capacity.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger, but didn't they say nearby sectors... it should be all sectors simultaneously... it is just... silly

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited March 10, 2001).]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good! You people remember your physics! Photons and quanta are interchangable terms, which is why ALL electromagnetic energy travels at c, if that helps any of you understand. Any particle in motion, (and all particles HAVE to be in motion), emits these "discrete energy packets", hence the ability for practically any element to emit a visible spectrograph when their atoms are excited enough. The quanta are given off by the electrons of an atom escaping their normal ground orbitals and falling back into them again. This is, of course, how we determine the elements stars are made up of, calculate the Doppler effect of these stars, etc.

I think the problem Letsalope and PsyLiam are having is the concept of subspace and actual velocity versus perceived velocity. Letsalope is concentrating on the velocity of a starship within its subspace bubble, and PsyLiam on its velocity without. Again, inside the bubble, a ship doesn't travel faster than the speed of light. Outside, it does. Or seems to. Correct me if I'm wrong or being too pretentious.

To me, it seems transporters do transport at the speed of light, as someone said, because matter is converted into energy.

The computers aboard Federation starships also work faster that light, but don't ask me how. All I know is that the cores contain subspace field machinery to accomplish it.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps