Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumours in from TrekToday.com...

According to an established source who wishes to remain anonymous, the main Series V Starship will look very different from the modern-day Federation ships we all know. One of the most important changes to this pre-Starfleet Enterprise is that it will lack the distinctive two warp nacelles that have characterised most Federation ships.

As usual, please be aware that the above info has not been officially confirmed by Paramount yet, and that until they make an official announcement on the next series any Series V news should be treated as you would any rumour.

No nacelles? Th' heck? Does this mean a new drive system, like transwarp or slipstream? Or simply that the new ship will have integrated warp nacelles like on Klingon BoPs and other alien ships?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't say it wouldn't have nacelles.

Just not two nacelles ... but, yes, maybe something more along the lines of the Defiant, which doesn't have nacelles of any sort (no one is going to try talking me into believing those "stubs" are the nacelles! The engines, yes, nacelles, no.)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slipstream or some other form of drive would be nice. We�ve seen it so often on Voyager, it would be a shame not to incorporate it.
You know, I seem to recall an early rumour mentioning a setting in a near future that involved going back to basics with the new series, a lone starship on an exploration mission, like in TOS, and using some form of new drive. I always liked that premise.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...a pre-TOS Federation starship with slipstream drive? Oh, there's a brilliant idea.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He, he, he, that sort of reduces the importance of Kirk, doesn�t it?
No, I was actually speculating based on the latest rumour that the new show will be set in the future, and that the prequel rumours were meant to throw us of guard.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the available data, I would agree that series 5 is after Voyager. I am happy to see a new ship.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the S.S. Enterprise??

The ship seen in the rec-room, IIRC????

She has no nacelles, *and* is called Enterprise!

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Since we are speaking of the rec-room, let�s not forget the spaceshuttle Enterprise, that ship certainly doesn�t have nacelles!

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am not going to believe any of these rumours. I'll just wait and see.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with saying the Defiant has nacelles.

nacelle: a streamlined enclosure (as for an engine) on an aircraft

looks alright to me.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*(agrees with Fabrux)*

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is probably no reason to believe that TPTB would want to maintain consistency with that one; they almost didn't make the Ent-B Excelsior class.

Boris

------------------
I'm not the Boris Skrbic on the Grafitti Wall website

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the heck else would they have made it?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nacelle is a seperate streamlined enclosure. The engines on the Defiant aren't seperate from the rest of the ship. You need pylons to get a nacelle. You could call them pods on the Defiant.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pods, nacelles, whatever you want to call them, i think it is pretty obvious that they have the same function. the nomenclature is just semantics. hey, you don't know that there isn't a pylon on the inside, and what appears to be a pod connected directly to the hull is simply a covering over both the nacelle and the pylon. whatever they are, the bits on the defiant have a bussard collector, a blue plasma grill at the back, and they generate a warp field.

--jacob

p.s. fructose1, i've had your website bookmarked FOREVER. i rank your stuff right up there with markus nee and and john payne (who have both made some of my favorite star trek models.) do you have the sabre class from askmodels in your possesion? it is my favorite FC CGI ship, and i was wondering what the quality of the model was. is the norway class that askmodels makes good quality? (once again, if you have one in your possesion) thanks!

[This message has been edited by EdipisReks (edited March 10, 2001).]

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps