Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers]
Balapoel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$0.02:

I think it is possible that the stage has been set for Series V, in a similar fashion that TNG episodes on Bajor set the stage for DS9, and episodes on DS9 and TNG on the Maquis set the stage for VOY. We've had a couple of shows about 29th century Starfleet time travelers (Relativity and Future's End). This way, the series could follow a SF crew that could go anywhere, anywhen. The dramatic possibilities are endless, much more than a time-limited show set in the 21st or even 25th century.

Ben

------------------
Ripley: When we throw the switches, how long before the ship blows?
Parker: Ten minutes.
Ripley: No bullshit?
Parker: If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.

Alien (1979)

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*plek*

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, time travel is nothing original in Star Trek. In fact, time travel has pretty much become an excuse to justify that the episode in question "never really happened" (All Good Things, Timeless, etc.) And if "Relativity" showed us anything, it's that each episode of a Star Trek series based upon time travel would leave the audience as confused as Janeway was in that ep.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balapoel: I think this has been described as Star Trek: Quantum Leap. You'd have future SF officers jumping around in time unable to change things that we've already seen and unable to reveal themselves as being from the future (of course you'd have the occational "just have to tell someone" episode). While I agree that the idea of seeing various important events in Federation history, various hitherto unseen ships, etc. would be very cool, I have no confidense that it could be pulled off intelligently.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Balapoel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may not be the case. Remember, Braxton didn't 'remember' what happened to him, because it was in a different timeline. Theoretical physicists entertain the possibility of infinite universes, each set off from each other by each quantum change. In effect, there could be universes where the Klingons defeated the Federation in the 2200s, or where the Dominion won.

Our SF officers could indeed change things in the past, or more specifically, try to manipulate events that merely effect space-time in general.

I admit, TPTB may screw it up as well, but at least it could be entertaining (and imaginative) if they did it right.

Ben

------------------
Ripley: When we throw the switches, how long before the ship blows?
Parker: Ten minutes.
Ripley: No bullshit?
Parker: If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.

Alien (1979)

IP: Logged
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet again, it hasnt been confirmed that the show will take place in the 'past'. Just a diffrent time. I'm still hoping for 29th century

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX StudiosThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nahm we've seen too much of that. I'm up for the 25th or 26th - far enough ahead that everything can look totally difference, but not too far ahead that the production people won't be able to keep up with the fantastical technologies they'll have dreamed up by then.

Mark <-- Never, EVER a prequel series!

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they shake things up a bit. If it's just TNG with a bigger Federation, that won't be good. Something akin to Andromeda, perhaps, with the Federation overcoming a crisis would be cool ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps