Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: First Clues to Series V Starship Description [Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys have hit the nail RIGHT on the head... "These are the voyagers of the Space Shuttle Enterprise!"

YES!

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks. I haven't bought them yet. I have too many models to build right now. I may buy them in the next month or two though. I'll remember to talk about them on my site.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm. What's "Askmodels"?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
askmodels.com is an english company that makes a lot of models that no one else makes. they have a lot of real world stuff and sci-fi. they have made a norway and a sabre class model, though i haven't been able to see one yet.

--jacob

------------------
what are we supposed to use, man, harsh language!?

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"These are the voyages of the Space Shuttle Enterprise. Her couple-of-weeks-mission: To allow engineers to explore strange, new, airflow patterns. To allow them to seek out new problems and fixes. To boldly glide where no-one has glided before..."

------------------
"People have the right to discriminate based on religion."
-Omega, Jan 26
"There is no "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution"
-Omega, Jan 30
"A private business has the right to refuse service to any person or group, be they KKK, black, gay, or neo-nazi, regardless of reason."
-Omega, Feb 24

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the ship doesn't have nacelles then it could only mean that that 1. They are designing a new ship that could look alot like Duantless 2. This is way in the future where warp drive in obsolete. 3. The new series might be based BEFORE First Contact.

I don't believe in rumors until I see the ship or the series on my TV or computer.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, if it's based before First Contact, then not only would the ship not have ncelles; it wouldn't have humans on it.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting briefly back to the whole "nacelles" definition thing...

Nacelle and pod are interchangable terms, in that both are separate from the main structure of the vehicle. What the Defiant has are properly described as cowlings or fairings.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, good call on the semantics. I feel better now.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it'll be on a Cargo vessel... some of those like the Batris? or the Xhosa? Don't have visible nacelles.

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe for the TMP Special Edition, they'll replace that starliner picture with this pre-Starfleet Enterprise...but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm surprised no one has come to the (unfounded)conclusion that IF the show is set not in the past but in the future, and IF the ship is going to be called the Enterprise, and IF she has a propulsion system that doesn't require nacelles, then perhaps she's the Enterprise-F! That way, Picard and crew could happily continue to make movies with the Enterprise-E, and a future crew could trek around in the Ent-F on television. Kinda like...how TNG branched off from the classic movies!

After all, John Eaves designed the Ent-E, so why not the Ent-F?

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that Marina Sirties asked Berman if there would be a role for her on the new series (Dorn-syndrome, I guess), and Berman told her no, because it's set in a different time frame.

No -F

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And TNG was set three starships on from the movies. I doubt that the new show would have the Enterprise-F. The Enterprise-H, maybe.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but my point wasn't which letter Enterprise would be used, but rather if the show was set in the future and revolves around an Enterprise, it would make more sense with a ship with no warp nacelles. This rumor would imply that either the ship is more advanced than *present day* warp-nacelled starships, or that it was pre-warp.

Let's think about this. Pre-warp? What kind of propulsion system would it have, then? Impulse drive? Nuclear rockets? And just how long would space travel take with a ship with no warp drive?

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Well, letsalope thinks that the ships already travel slower than light speed, so it'd be the same. Nyah.

*sulks*

Me = bad mood.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps