Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » driving lessons required for a borg cube? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: driving lessons required for a borg cube?
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we've seen drones with two eye pieces before in TNG
that particular drone also had a mouth piece that looked like a scube gear---aparently that drone was outfitted to assimilate useful fishies.

destruction to all turnips
Deceptacons attack!

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that drone was intended to travel back in time and assimilate the humpback whales from ST IV The Voyage Home and by that bring about the end of the Federation

------------------
Go to my site ST Infinity or you'll cause the release of another Olsen Twins movie. Do you want that on your conscience?

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be and the borg might develop a taste for large schools of shrimp.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The more you show a major villian that's supposed to be a large threat, the more you
learn about their weaknesses. Also more you see them the more there mistakes they
can show.

Well, I can give you one example to the contrary... The Goa'uld from Stargate-SG1... still BIG and NASTY - after 4 years... we know quite a lot more about them... but well they are still a pretty Big threat...

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it seems to me that they are increasingly outclassed and outgunned by other groups. The, uh, one guys, for example. Or the Asgard.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I don't watch that series, but its those flying pyramid people?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shadows were handled quite well. But that was done quite carefully, and they were only around for (essentially), two and a bit years. But by gradually increasing the number of ships we saw at once, they were kept scary, and threatening. (The fact that before Shadow Dancing, only 3 had been destroyed - and two of them were by trickery - also helped).

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the name Locutus.

Being the "Locutus" is latin for "moutpiece" I think it's clear that's his function, not a name. So I guess the guy who assimilates all day is "Assimilus" of Borg. LOL.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proof! Proof I tell you that Riker should have realised that the Borg had assimilated Picard's knowledge the moment he said his name. Come on, Locutus; it's pompous, it's Latin, it's still cool, it's Picard all over!

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was forced to choose his name? That's cruel. Like sending a child out into the kitchen to choose what he shall be spanked with...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boiled cauliflower would be my first choice.

The Borg evidently aren't averse to letting their victims do some name-choosing. It seems that they even allowed an Earthling assimilee familiar with the term "cyborg" to pick the name for the entire race...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I dunno. Who was the first assimilated human. Prior to VOY, it was almost certainly Picard, and they were called the Borg way before that. They were called the Borg during the 23rd century, when they assimilated the El-Aurians, and that's way before even the Hansons stumbled on them.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be accurate, they were NOT referred to as the Borg in the 23rd century parts of "Generations". All the references to the species came from the 24th century part of the movie.

The first time we hear the name uttered, in Trek's internal chronology, is apparently "Dark Frontier", where the Hansens use this name in 2354 or so. Perhaps they invented it? Or chose it from among the dozens of names given to this mystery species by unreliable eyewitnesses?

The first time we hear the word in RL would be from Guinan, identifying the species who flies the cubeship in "Q Who?" before the species has a chance to introduce itself. So naturally the Universal Translator would translate the phrase "We are the X" into "We are the Borg" regardless of what word the species themselves used in place of X. And then the name would stick, when after Picard's safe return from J-25 the UT of the E-D would get networked to all the other UTs of the Federation and propagate its interpretation of this word X.

So if Guinan invented the name, then she would have been responsible for the Borg seemingly adopting it (when in fact only the UFP translator machines had adopted it). But then the chronology vis-a-vis the Hansens would not work. The name must have been invented before the 2350s, if not by the Hansens, then by somebody else - and preferably by somebody who could propagate it into the UFP translator network.

Guinan might have been keeping current with news related to the species that assimilated her homeworld, and digging up pieces of information that very few in Starfleet would understand for what they really were. Surely the Borg didn't go into hibernation between assimilating El-Aurus and encountering Picard at J-25 - they probably created a steady flow of refugees, and Guinan listened to the refugees talking when nobody else had the patience or understanding to. She might have picked up the name from these discussions, perhaps from the same source the Hansens got it from - say, a human drunkard off in his warp-speed pickup in a poorly charted part of space, coming home with a story about horrible cyborgs and another about pink targs dancing cakewalk around his head, and only Guinan knew one of those stories was true.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps