Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Jupiter Station (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jupiter Station
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest issue of ST: The Mag had a briefing on Jupiter Station. I scanned as much of Zimmerman's lab as I could, along with the dorsal view of the station. I'll try to get the side view and the renderings at a later date. Enjoy!

Zimmerman's Lab
Dorsal View

------------------
"Of course I'm paranoid! Everyone's trying to kill me."
- Weyoun, "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent
i was just about to make a jupiter station texture for armada
a sod for it has already been made

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way cool - I've been looking forward to this one.

Z-man's lab is insteresting. For one thing, it seems proof-positive of Starfleet's retrofitting rooms with holo-emitters. The lab has a small hologrid in it, yet no one uses it the the EMH and whatsherface move around freely, in the anteroom as well. We see evidence of retrofitting on DS9, where we see holograms in the sickbay and cargo bay (!). One wonders why Voyager hasn't bothered applying this tech on themselves; the Doc's mobile emitter is useful, but if you can instantly transfer yourself to a crisis zone in an emergency...

Finally, one has to wonder though why what is doubtless a first-class holo-research lab would be located on a station in Jovian orbit. Why not on a planet? And if it had to be in space, why around a planet where M-class surroundings are hardly abundant?

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited May 09, 2001).]

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
top research facilities locating in inhospitable places is no new thing.

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited May 09, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but a research facility for *holography*?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember Roy...?

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planetary research site = well-dodgy atmospheric shuttle flights for cargo + stuff, even with transporters.

Perhaps the station was originally built to study Jupiter and it's magnetosphere a good while ago, and the holography section of the base just became the most important over time.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it established that holography was the most important research going on there? If it was Zimmerman that said it so it might just be ego. He might just work there because he likes the view.

Likely there is a bunch more projects given the size of the station. I doubt they have learned all they want to about gas giants and old Jove would be a good baseline to study (oceanography/limnology is still often modeled with one small lake in WI - because it is handy).

With the "save the spotted owl" idea strong on Earth orbital platforms might well be the industrial parks of the Sol system.

Cool pics by the way

------------------
TK

[This message has been edited by Toadkiller (edited May 10, 2001).]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I never suggested that *all* of Jupiter station is evoted to holography - there are doubtless tons of activities going on there. I'm jsut wondering if there could be a valid reason *for* a first-class holography research facility to be there. THe idea of it just starting as a minor lab that grew over time is a pretty good one. Zimmerman probably isn't staying for the view, since his quarters don't have windows.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a minute, a hologrid in a DS9 cargobay? When was that?

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The 6th season episode with Bashir babysitting the genetic mutants. They set up unseen emitters to project a holorecording of a Dominion conference for the Jack Pack to pick apart.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they were in the holodeck for that scene?

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I don't think Quark would be that generous.

------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they'd risk the security breach inherent with using anything of Quark's.

------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the reason why the lab is on Jupiter station is because we so rarely get to see much of the sol system and ole Jupiter looks really cool.

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps