Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Jupiter Station (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jupiter Station
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shush, you. The real-world answer isn't nearly as fun.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They established it to be on Jupiter Station long before they ever showed it. I doubt they'd even considered showing it at that point...

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the first mention of Jupiter Station was way back in "Projections"... or possibly even sooner. Either way, they didn't intend to show the real thing at the time.

Has anyone ever wondered how the Jupiter Station we've seen is related to Jupiter Station 92? (From BOBW)

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't Jupiter Station 92 a security measure against spies who intended to find out what happens in "Best of Both Worlds"?

But in the Trek universe, it could be a smalll orbital facility.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this Jupiter Outpost was different from the Jupiter Station we saw in Voyager. For one thing, these "outposts" sound like things smaller than starbases or stations. For another, having a Jupiter Outpost 92 sort of implies there were at least 92 of them, again suggesting small mass-produceable facilities.

Since we heard in "BoBW" that JO92 a) was the first to spot the Borg and b) was silenced by the Borg, I suppose JOs are military sensor stations and possibly weapon platforms as well - perhaps comparable to the Cardassian orbital defence platforms we saw in "Tears of the Prophets" et al. If JO92 and its companions had significantly-better-than-average sensors dedicated to ship-spotting, it would be understandable that they'd spot the Cube before, say, Earth telescopes would.

And if JO92 was armed, it would make sense for the Borg to silence it (and possibly several of its companions), while destroying the Jupiter Station would be a waste of time since it had no obvious armaments. The Borg had already demonstrated they liked to spar with Starfleet's military forces even if they didn't have to - they had stopped to fight at Wolf 359, after all. Toying with the JOs and the Mars Defence Perimeter before going to Earth would fit the profile nicely.

Timo Saloniemi

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes sense, they want to "taste" the tech level of the the culture before assimilating it - as well as destroying forces behind them that might get in the way of converting Earth.

Side topic: have we been given any idea of how long it would have taken to assimilate Earth? I don't watch Voy - maybe they said something?

------------------
TK

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it could've been so easy for the Borg to assimilate Earth!
Just send another fleet of cubes and spheres right after W359, and BANG!!, you have done it.

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited May 17, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did see the last part of a planetary assimilation in progress during "Dark Frontier," I believe. But I can't quite recall if we heard any concrete numbers.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we actually saw the planetary assimilation there -- we just saw the aftermath of the battle between the Borg ships and the defensive fleet. The victims we saw were almost certainly just survivors of that battle.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Face
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have a side view of the Jupiter Station of the ST: Mag.?
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you have a problem with the holographic doctor, there's a man you can write ot at the Jupiter Station Holographic Research facility. His name is Zimmerman."

I believe that quote (as near as I can remember) from the holodoc was the first time we heard of Zimmie or the station.

Yes, Jupiter Putpost 92 was a security precaution. Each script had a different number in it so that if the script leaked, they could tell whose it was.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure taht "Juptier Outpost 92" means that there are actually 92 outposts out there. Sure, the planet is huge enough to probably requires at least 92 stations, but why would outpost 9-2 make the report to the Enterprise? If there were 92 little outposts, why 92? Why not 91? And wouldn't a whole LOT of outposts notice the cube heading to Earth? They're kinda tough to miss..

I'm of the opinion that Worf actually said something like "outpost 9-2", which would equivocate to "the second outpost in Jupipter sector nine" or "the ninth outpost in Jupiter's Southern hemispere".

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one have large scans of the other images of the station?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, well, I was going to scan the other views, but that would require booting into '98... Of course, I might scan them tomorrow when I try out some games.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Please do -- I would really like to see the side view of the station. For information on its dimensions if nothing else.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps