Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Unseen frontier" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  24  25  26   
Author Topic: "Unseen frontier"
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Mojo, of course we start this wishlist in it�s own thread. To start it of I�ll quote Timo and Shik:

Timo:

quote:
A scene from Wolf 359 could with full justification be reproduced by giving us a fuzzy screencap from a videotape, and then slapping graphics over it that would specify this as a "gun camera shot", or something taken by a recording drone amidst the battle's heavy EM interference and subspace shockwaves and whatnot.

Similarly, a key live-action event could be presented as a snapshot taken by an away team's tricorder-wielding Ensign Expendable, just when he was hit by that disruptor beam. Or then he had to take it covertly through some vegetation, from a distance. Surely the reduced quality of the image could be forgiven.

Here's a possibility that should not be overlooked when making use of all that accumulated wealth of Trek visual records.

Shik:

quote:
:::nods in agreement::: That's absolutely right, Timo. In fact, a lot of times these items come from the strangest sources. Imagine if you will a shot of a scorched, somewhat shredded, & ice-crystalized section of photo of Ben & Jennifer Sisko at Gilgo Beach; the caption in true NG style reads: "'Some times the hardest part of doing this,' says salvage worker Thon Lorit, 'is finding the small things. It affects everyone in ways you just can't describe.' A full Betazoid, Thon says that he sometimes is overwhelmed by the raw emotions of the rest of the work crew when they find a fragment of a person's life floating among the wreckage. Here, at left, a happy moment captured forever shows the scars of horror."

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik's first message:

quote:
Mojo: I was planning to email this to you before posting it here in an effort to promote
the idea first, but...yeah. No matter.

You've discussed your plans an concepts for "Unseen Frontier" here many times.
Throughout it all, you've kept mentioning a variant or the same phrase: "The events we
know as seen through something like National Geographic." This line is what has really
stuck with me.

Like most of the people here I'm sure, I've grown up reading NG all my life. I don't really
look at it that often nowadays due to fiduciary concerns, but when I do, the images are
always what grab me, even if they concern an article I'm not particularly interested in.
I've had the good fortune to meet and talk lengthily with many NG photographers, both
staff and freelance, and so the stories they have to tell are stuck in my mind as well.

One of the reasons NG is held in such high regard is because it excels at its primary goal:
to bring understanding of the world around us home to the average person. Whether it be
through funding expeditions to the Weddell Sea and the Kalahari or simply sending a field
reporter to live in Brussels or Ville De Qu�bec for three months, the experiences and
stories of other places are brought to us in a short, hardhitting and striking form. Many
of us on this forum are naval history fans; who among us can forget the late 1985 issue
of NG in which Bob Ballard published his first mosaic images of Titanic? I was ten years
old and they still take my breath away. I remember leafing through old issues with
articles about the circumnavigation and later polar voyage of the Nautilus. I remember
seeing the shots of Robert Falcon Scott's final fateful encampment in Antarctica. I've
seen underwater shots of black smokers and aerial images of a barren glacier with three
small dots on it--a Norwegian scaling team.

These are the same things that should be captured in "Unseen Frontier," the same
breathtaking feel. Some of this can come from ships, yes, but let the word "unseen" by
the guide. We've seen Wolf 359; what about the aftermath, the cleanup effort? Was
there one, or is it now like the Arizona memorial? The comings and goings of a busy
spaceport; all DS9 has shown us is a few floating vessels--nothing like a real harbor. Are
there festivities for Federation Day like Independence Day? Did they have something like
OpSail on the Federation's 200th birthday in 2361?

But the Trek galaxy--like the real world--is more than just starships. There's people.
Legends. Heroes. Cultures. So many unknowns. Celebrations after the end of a war,
whether it be the Dominion War, Cardassian Wars, Romulan Wars. The memorial service
for James T. Kirk in late 2293. Someone suggested the signing of the First Khitomer
Accords. There's interstellar phenomena, natural wonders of black holes and pulsars and
nebulae. These are all things that the average Federation citizen wouldn't know about.
Even other worlds in and out of the Federation: Betazed, Andor, Tellar. Trill's oceans
were said to be purple in a DS9 episode; who knows from purple water?

"Omnipotent observation" is fine for calendars; there it's not expected. For "Unseen
Frontier," as a reader, I'd like it to be more first-person. I'd like to feel that there was a
person there who saw this perfect image and captured it so that others may share and
revel in its power, its beauty, its sense of amazement. That sense of humanity is what
would set this project apart from all others. (Indeed, an idea has just hit me on a way to
help accomplish that feel. Often in NG itself and most definitely in its compilation tomes,
there are comments from photographers and staff on the power of the imagery--what
they felt when they saw the sight, how they decided to choose that particular one, how
that perfect combination just happened to come together at the right moment.
Comments like that--not just from humans, but others--would definitely help with the
touch.)

I encourage you to take all of the above to heart. Following this train of thought, this
overall feeling and setting will almost guarantee that the book will reach beyond the
hardcore audience that the more recent offerings have pandered to. I know for a fact
that this is something many friends would be overawed at and by, not so much because
it's Trek, but because of what it could BE. They are not the kind of people to purcashe
technical manuals and don't care if a bird-of-prey has been rescaled or not. They are the
"casual fans," the one who enjoy the stories and imagery, the ones who've been left in
the lurch. This is a chance to reconcile the two ends of the markets in a most spectacular
way.

I, like others here have in the past, formally offer my help, advice, and knowledge on
this project, and I would consider it a great honor to take part in such an endeavor from
such an early stage. But let us lay the groundwork for reason and rationality here, at the
beginning, so that later on we can progress smoothly.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since we've already seen Utopia Planitia (a few times now), how about some nice shots of the San Francisco Yards? It'd give you guys a good chance to show off a CGI Earth.

And now that I think about it, how about setting it during the Movie-era, with Constitutions and Mirandas and Oberths and Excelsiors?

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the building of Spacedock 1?
It would be cool to see such a large station half completed, with the inner tower exposed and workbees flying alover the place.

It would make a good tie in to TMP, where we see an orbital office complex for the yard, nearing completion. You could say that the entire facility was upgraded in the 2270s, and that the big mushroom spacedock was the first of its kind.

It would also be interesting to see the moon as it is in the 23 or 24th century as described in ST:FC

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely, we would like to see the everyday scenes of life on familiar Alpha Quadrant worlds. Earth's San Fransisco old quarter (or New Orleans, for that mater), Romulus, Quo'nos... Specific events could be covered too from the official photo archives, including incidents when Earth was under various crises, like when the whale probe was in orbit, when the Borg were attacking, or when the planet was under martial law in "Paradise Lost".

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a view from an Spacedock orbiting Earth or from Starfleet Headquarters itself, as the Breen assualt fleet opened fire on Earth? As the Golden Gate bridge crumbled into ruins?

I always imagined a scene with a 5-ish year old child watching from his home in one of the orbital habitats as the Breens attacked Earth, with a Defiant swooping gracefully close past his field of view to engage the attackers. The reflection of the little boy's face on the window would be "I'm gonna join Starfleet when I grow up".

Hell of a Starfleet Academy recruiting poster.

Something involving Starfleet infantry would be nice, too. Maybe something Vietnam or Iwo Jima like, with Marines disembarking from a combat hopper. Of course, that would require CG people.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: David Templar ]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really.

Starfleet may take on the role of the military, but I imagine they'd rather play up the whole "Space, the final frontier ..." aspect. You know ... exploration.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
with Marines disembarking from a combat hopper. Of course, that would require CG people

First you'd need a design and the one I came up with appears to be just a little too tricky for those 3-D folks...

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But exploration is such a "seen" frontier, this is suppose to be the hidden, mysterious, neglicted unseen frontier.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh ... look, Dave, I don't think Starfleet's going to push the military side of what they do. Even in the 24th Century, there's lot of places to explore ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*exhales slowly*

On a more constructive note:

Mojo, how about solving the mystery of how the Phoenix returned to Earth after Cochrane's flight?

Or, on a similar note, a shot of the Smithsonian in the 24th century (with the Phoenix and perhaps some other space goodies) in it, or alternately the mentioned-but-unseen "Fleet Museum"?

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drools*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
B]Or, on a similar note, a shot of the Smithsonian in the 24th century (with the Phoenix and perhaps some other space goodies) in it, or alternately the mentioned-but-unseen "Fleet Museum"?[/B]

Now that is an excelent idea, perhaps the fleet museum is the orbital wing of smithsonian, showing exibits that are too large to be displayed on the surface.
Aside from that, a vacume is a great perserver.

It would be great to see the Phoenix side by side with other small spacecraft like say...the unused luna lander aquarius, Friendship 2 (if there is a number 1 then logically there is a second one too), A section of Aries III or V, perhaps a surviving module of the ISS, the NCC-1701's Gallileo shuttlecraft (did that one survive? I forget). There are alot of really interesting possiblities with that one and a great potential for interesting backstories
"this golden plate belonged tothe early earth space probe, pionner 11...it was discovered onboard a deralict pakled vessle near the klingon border, they had welded it to the hull to plug a breach.."

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, let's take an informal poll here: What planets would we the fans like to see represented in this book? Earth is a given. But where else?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  24  25  26   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps