Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship losses in Dominion War? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ship losses in Dominion War?
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did I say up there, Snay?

Oh wait, I know, because you are high, you mistook USS Vanguard for being me. But that's OK, everyone knows how you feel.

--------------------
Meh

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minutiae: You're suggesting 40% ship losses in the war? Holy Christ, that's a lot! And we "won."

I realize that WWII stats are not exactly analogous, but they show facts of large fleet operations. Of the 1700 named combatants of the USN in WWII (SS, DD, DE, CC, CV, CVE, but not LST, PT, or merchant ships), they lost 181 or about 10%. The loss rate depended a lot on ship type. About 80% of ships lost were subs or destroyers (loss rate, about 15%) while about 10% of CV/CVEs and BBs, and 7% of CA, CB, CL were lost. The overall lost rate is also lowered by late-war production with relatively low loss rates, especially for big ships. But I still think 40% is pretty catastrophic, what I'd expect a losing side to have.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, just because I get so used to dismissing what you say as insane drivel, so when someone else rambles incoherently, I tend to blame it on you, Veers

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think that starfleet losing 40% of their strenght is reasonable. how many ships they lost really does rely on how big you think star fleet is. i personally think star fleet has about 10 thousand capital ships, with maybe 1000(?) ships of the line (galaxy, nebula, ambassador, akira etc). that seems about right.....

[edit: keep in mind that for much of the war starfleet didn't have shileds that were effective against dominion weaponry, but the dominion had shields that were effective against starfleet's weapons. an analogy to world war two would be one side not having armor on their warships until half way through the war. it's going to inflate losses a lot when one side is basically defenseless]

--jacob

[ December 03, 2001: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you saying my posts are all insane drivel?

bah, you're probably right.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they'd probably be accepted easier if you'd use your shift-key to cap stuff ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm lazy too.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insane drivel?
Awwww right! Finally, someone has noticed!

As for Masao's question, do the hard task of counting up all the ship losses on Star Trek Ships: Expanded.

--------------------
Meh

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40,000 ships, including runabouts, fighter craft, couriers, transports, and other such small craft with their own names & registry numbers . . .

Dukhat, I think that you've just explained something to me that was looking me squarely in the face. On the Ex Astris Scientia site there is a bit on registries. Now there is a period of 20 years where the number of reg's goes up by 15,000, followed by another 20 years and a 50,000 increase in reg numbers. (Note: all figures are approximations). Now I never considered such things as "runabouts, fighter craft, couriers, transports, and other such small craft" as you so very nicely put it.

Now your figure of 40,000 ships doesn't seem so far-fetched. No. Not at all. Not bad Dukhat. I take my wooly hat off to you!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, forgot to add: the reason for the huge increase in reg no's? Lots of failed prototypes? Much needed support ships to (wait for it ) support the fleet that has had to be increased in size to protect the increased size of the Federation. Also, improvements in technology could have made ship construction a little bit easier than before - hence the ease of building sooo many in such a short space of time - we're looking at about 70,000 ships in about 40 years - that's about 1,750 each year!!! (Faint).

Say . . . the Federation didn't learn how to replicate ships and not bother to tell anyone . . . did they?

Oh yes - admin guys & gals: I couldn't edit my previous message and so I had to create this one. I got one of those "cannot display page at this time" messages. Is that a bug or is it just my computer being silly? Ah well, at least its another post to my score!

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy bejeezus that's a lot of smileys...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
Holy bejeezus that's a lot of smileys...

Oh yeah! Me likes smileys!

--------------------

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am just imagining things, but I think I recall in the "Deep Space Nine" episode after the one where "Defiant" was destroyed it was stated that the Federation-Klingon Alliance has 1500 ships (and that the Dominion "outships" them 10-to-1). Does anyone else remember this, or is my memory shot? Once again, what I think I saw was in the episode immediately following the one where "Defiant" was destroyed (I forget the names of either episode); Sisko and Klingon officials were discussing the new Breen weapon and the general war situation in the conference room. Does someone have that episode on tape, and could you check?
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a pretty good mention of the number of Klingon ships avaliable...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWENTY to one, actually..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps