Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My newly-revised shiplist (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My newly-revised shiplist
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it makes the most sense that the USS Intrepid from "Force of Nature" is actually the Intrepid-class prototype. The episode takes place only 9 months before our beloved USS Voyager is launched. Surely the class ship would've been out and about for a while.

I'm inclined to think that the Yorktown from "Flashback" is the original Connie. I just don't like the idea that the Ent-A was originally the Yorktown. It's simply uncalled for.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Merrimack/Merrimac/Virginia info:
http://cssvirginia.org/vacsn/base/name.htm

Merrimac: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/merrimac.htm

Merrimack: http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/merimak2.htm

Even though the correct spelling is with the "K," Starfleet, 500 years after the fact, might have easily misspelled the name with a "c"!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
3. The registry comes from the Encyclopedia, and while it does seem a bit of a stretch, people have rationalized explanations for how the Carolina could be a Daedalus. Anyways, it was just a hoax by the Klingons, so I don't think we have to worry about it too much.

Yeah, it was just a hoax, but it makes Scotty seem stupid. Further, given that nowhere in the episode is a registry suggested, or even intimated off of any of the blinkies on the bridge (where in the name of hell did they get 160?), I think this registry and class description can be discounted as being contrary to canon fact (i.e. Data's "172 years" comment . . . the registry of 160 could stand, possibly, but so long as it was understood as being unsupported by canon episode fact).

quote:
4. The Centaur is officially an Excelsior-class starship variant, as per the DS9 Technical Manual.
Um, no. There is an Excelsior Class variant shown on page 156, but I see nothing to suggest that it is the Centaur. It lacks numerous Centaur features, most notably the Centaur's many nutsacks hanging under the saucer. I also see nothing to suggest the oversized Miranda Class torpedo launcher thingy . . . as far as can be seen from the pic in the DS9TM, the Excelsior Class variant referred to is just a saucer, pylons, and nacelles.

quote:
6. No, I don't think there's any reason to think that the Constellation is not the original. Primarily, for the same reason why there's no reason the Excelsior from "Interface" can't be the same as from STIII. These ships last a long time. They may be overhauled many-times-over, and undergo countless systems upgrades throughout their service, but there's really no reason why the ship itself can't easily last up to a hundred years and possibly beyond. (This very subject is discussed in the TNG Technical Manual. The Galaxy-class was designed to last for that long.) If the Constellation was a fairly new vessel (still carrying an NX- number and undergoing certification tests) in 2293 (at the time of TUC), I think it's perfectly plausible that it is still seeing duty in the early 2370's.
Actually, given the registry of NCC-1974 plus the concept of some chronological basis for registries, the Constellation Class would have preceded Excelsior, NCC-2000. This is especially true if one assumes that there might be "development time" considerations involved. (In other words, even if NCC-2000 was a long time coming, there's no reason to assume that development of NCC-1974 would have been longer . . . it's just a four-nacelled, "overworked, underpowered" beast, after all.)

Further, though the Galaxy-Class spaceframe was specifically designed to last a hella-long time, assuming refits, there is nothing to suggest that earlier starships were capable of similar lifetimes. Indeed, Morrow's (albeit erroneous) line in Star Trek III about the Enterprise being 20 years old suggests that lifetimes of 100 years would have been outside the recommended design life of a starship of the TMP era.

Sure, you can do rebuilds, refits, et cetera, but there comes a point where you've gotta go in and replace the spaceframe, which means you've just torn the whole damned ship apart.

[QUOTE]11. No, the second Intrepid has always been an Excelsior no matter where you look. (Encyclopedia, web site, and probably from an okudagram originally.)[QUOTE]

By the use of the term "probably", I assume that the evidence is either from the Encyclopedia or the website. Thus, with the strictest view of canon, there's nothing to suggest that the Intrepid was an old fart Excelsior. Granted, there's nothing to suggest it's a Galaxy, but one would presuppose that it is a newer starship than a 3xxxx.

(UBB Code is tiresome . . . simple quotation marks follow.)

"13. The "reality" of it is that there were two ships bearing the name and number of the Melbourne. The Excelsior was seen in "Emissary" (DS9), and the Nebula was seen in BOTH "Best of Both Worlds" (TNG) and "Emissary". I refuse to simply ignore the existence of one or the other. I think there's plenty of rationalizations that could be made, likely having to do with the scrambling of as many vessels as possible for the battle (including scrap-jobs, etc.) or something along a similar line. In any case, the fact is that there were two Melbournes."

But with the same damned registry? No sense at all in that (Defiant notwithstanding). I'd ditch the Nebula.

"4. Actually, the correct spelling is MERRIMACK. The first edition of the Encyclopedia spelled it wrong. The error is corrected in the later editions. Easy to get mixed up, though. There were two Union vessels in service during the Civil War, the Merrimack and the Merrimac. The former was the ship that was sunk in the Elizabeth River, and then whose hulk was salvaged by the Confederates and converted into the ironclad Virginia. Since this is the ship that the Nebula was named for, the 'k' spelling is correct. I believe the okudagrams bear that out."

Harper's Weekly, the New York Herald, and Quarterly Review subscribe to the Merrimac spelling. Also, every single lithograph from that era at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/merimak2.htm (the official U.S. Navy site) subscribes to the spelling Merrimac (except for the last, for which it is impossible to tell), and these were period pieces. Of course, the site itself argues for the Merrimack spelling, but offers no evidence to support this view. Similarly, most sites which suggest that the ship was named after the river Merrimack (as opposed to the valley known as Merrimac) make no evidenciary claims. I say, screw 'em.

"16. The Oberth from Generations was labeled with that name and registry. Sorry if you don't like it. [Frown] "

Not your fault . . . it's just stupid. I noted, however, that there was no registry offerred for the Miranda from Generations. Wouldn't it be better to have a Miranda Valiant?

"17. This is an admitted conjecture. I don't think we've yet received a definite confirmation as to whether this model was in fact used in the battle sequences of DS9 "A Time to Stand", but most of us seem to be pretty confident that it was."

I can't imagine the logic of changing the registry but keeping the name, from the perspective of the model-builders, unless they were just lazy that day.

"18. Err...because it was converted to the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A at the end of STIV?! [Roll Eyes] "

Um, no. Star Trek V is contrary to that notion, showing an Enterprise which has been finished in something of a rush. Further, there is no evidence in Star Trek IV that any vessel has been renamed Enterprise, or, if so, what vessel that was. As far as renaming is concerned, it might as well be Shane Johnson's U.S.S. Ti-Ho, NCC-1798.

"19. NCC-4000 comes from a display on the Enterprise bridge in STIII."

The website lists it as being from Star Trek II.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Miranda Valiant makes better sense, but alas, they labeled the Oberth as Valiant and the Miranda as something else. Yes, the Miranda is labeled. We just don't know if it's a new label (meaning a a different ship than its last appearance) or an old one (meaning they never bothered changing it from its last appearance).

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Um, no. There is an Excelsior Class variant shown on page 156, but I see nothing to suggest that it is the Centaur. It lacks numerous Centaur features, most notably the Centaur's many nutsacks hanging under the saucer. I also see nothing to suggest the oversized Miranda Class torpedo launcher thingy . . . as far as can be seen from the pic in the DS9TM, the Excelsior Class variant referred to is just a saucer, pylons, and nacelles.

Yes, the schematic in the book is incorrect, as are *all* the kitbash schematics in the book. (See the horrendously incorrect Curry schematic? And the Intrepid/Constitution, which supposedly represents the Voyager-prototype study model? IIRC, the Yeager-class pic is off a little, too. The only possible exception is the Connie-variant, which we so far have not been able to compare with a model or screenshot.) The pic is *obviously* supposed to represent the Centaur, and in fact the very same illustration appears in the Encyclopedia under the entry "Centaur, U.S.S."

quote:
Harper's Weekly, the New York Herald, and Quarterly Review subscribe to the Merrimac spelling. Also, every single lithograph from that era at http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-m/merimak2.htm (the official U.S. Navy site) subscribes to the spelling Merrimac (except for the last, for which it is impossible to tell), and these were period pieces. Of course, the site itself argues for the Merrimack spelling, but offers no evidence to support this view. Similarly, most sites which suggest that the ship was named after the river Merrimack (as opposed to the valley known as Merrimac) make no evidenciary claims. I say, screw 'em.
It has been well-established (Okuda states it in the Encyclopedia) that "this ship was named in honor of the vessel that became the noted iron-clad warship C.S.S. Virginia, that fought for the Confederacy in the American Civil War." The name of that ship was MERRIMACK. During the time period and the years since, it has been frequently mis-spelled, even at times in official Navy channels. However, the correct spelling is MERRIMACK. I don't know how many times I have to say this before it gets understood.

quote:
I can't imagine the logic of changing the registry but keeping the name, from the perspective of the model-builders, unless they were just lazy that day.

Well, what happened (again, this is as yet unconfirmed, but is widely accepted) is this: When VGR was in it's early pre-production stages, Rick Sternbach built this study model as a prototype for what the new ship was going to look like. The registry is lower because at the time, the plan was for Voyager to be an older ship that had been commissioned made a name for itself during the Cardassian War. This idea (and the design) was later scrapped in favor of a newer vessel. But, the theory goes, this study-model was then used as one of the background ships in DS9 along with the kitbashes like the Curry, Centaur, and Yeager-class.

quote:
Um, no. Star Trek V is contrary to that notion, showing an Enterprise which has been finished in something of a rush.

I can't believe how much I hear this. Why is STV contrary to that notion? The ship had was in bad shape because the Yorktown had just had its ass kicked by the Probe before limping (or being towed) back into dock.

quote:
Further, there is no evidence in Star Trek IV that any vessel has been renamed Enterprise, or, if so, what vessel that was. As far as renaming is concerned, it might as well be Shane Johnson's U.S.S. Ti-Ho, NCC-1798.

So, they built an entirely new ship in the few days (perhaps even hours, though it is more likely days, since Gilian had time to find an assignment on a science vessel...) that comprised the last 10 minutes of the film? Damn, that's fast. Scotty would be amazed... [Roll Eyes]

Having it be the Yorktown was Gene's suggestion and has since been backed by all official reference materials and has been recognized by TPTB. Johnson pulled the Ti-Ho from one of two places: thin air or his ass. [Wink]

quote:
"19. NCC-4000 comes from a display on the Enterprise bridge in STIII."

The website lists it as being from Star Trek II.

Sorry. I think the display actually appeared in both films along w/the other Tech Manual screens.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking back on that post, maybe I sounded a little snippety. Sorry. [Smile]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Johnson pulled the Ti-Ho from one of two places: thin air or his ass."

And where do you think Roddenberry pulled his info from?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So everything is canon? I liked that episode of TNG where Buffy played the musical mice.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which end does one blow into?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
And where do you think Roddenberry pulled his info from?

A similar location, but he has the luxury of having his recognized by TPTB. [Razz]
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, was the Enterprise-A renamed from something else debate.

There are many options, here are the ones I've seen in various published books:
USS Yorktown, NCC-1717
USS Yorktown, NCC-something else
USS Ti-Ho, NCC-1798
USS Atlantis, NCC-1786
USS Levant, NCC-1843

Just 'cos GR made an off the cuff suggestion of Yorktown doesn't make it so. And anyway, which Yorktown? The one crippled by the Probe in ST IV or a newly built replacement?

All far too much fun. Keep arguing. [Wink]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, they built an entirely new ship in the few days (perhaps even hours,
though it is more likely days, since Gilian had time to find an
assignment on a science vessel...) that comprised the last 10 minutes of
the film? Damn, that's fast. Scotty would be amazed...

No one says they built the thing from the keel up, MMoM; they just gave it a new name. What you're proposing is, in that same few days, they repaired a ship capable of towing a Constitution-class vessel at warp (remember, the probe had paralyzed all the Earth-orbiting starships), sent it out to wherever the Yorktown was, repaired the Spacedock facility in the meantime, towed Yorktown back to Earth, repaired her, possibly gave her a new bridge module (the one on the screen looks a lot darker than the E-A's at the end), gave her a new paint job AND reassigned her entire command crew.... And this is supposed to be simpler than renaming a ship already in Spacedock? [Roll Eyes]

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Woodside Kid ]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing, MMoM, we don't know how much time had passed between the return to Earth of Kirk's crew and their assignment to the Ent-A. The hearing where Kirk was demoted may have been a few days after there return, but they may not have got their new ship until months after that. Just because the events only take 10 minutes in the movie doesn't mean anything. Such is the beauty of scene cuts.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
we don't know how much time had passed between the return to Earth of Kirk's crew and their assignment to the Ent-A. The hearing where Kirk was demoted may have been a few days after there return, but they may not have got their new ship until months after that. Just because the events only take 10 minutes in the movie doesn't mean anything.

Alas no. Kirk was still wearing his admiral's uniform in the scene in the shuttle going to the Ent-A. They'd changed the rank pin, but not the uniform, so it still had the extra gold piping. So really that scene must have taken place immediately after the hearing.

But the hearing was probably a few days, if not weeks, after their arrival - enough time to repaint a starship already in Space Dock, but possibly not enough time to retrieve the Yorktown from where she was disabled, cart out all the bodies of the dead crew, repair any damage caused by the loss of power, etc. Then again, we just don't know for sure.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure not mentioned yet but, where'd you get Deneva class for the Merchantman from? Also, why is it SS Merchantman, i thought Merchantman was the name of the type of ship, not the name of the ship itself?

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps