Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constitution refit- New builds? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Constitution refit- New builds?
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were there any new build Connie refits, like the new build Mirandas? If not, why not? Also was one present at Wolf 359 as indicated by that drifting secondary hull?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to some sources, The Enterprise A was a new build.

I have no problem believeing there were some refit Connies in service well after the TOS events in Generations.

With the Mirandas, keep in mind, we really have no idea how old that design is. It's entirely possible that some of the earlier Mirandas were originally built with parts that looked more like the TOS Enterprise and were then refit with the new engines and what not around the same time as the Connies.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a cool and interesting idea isn't it, that the Miranda Class we know is a refit, like the Ent-A, and that the original Miranda was more akin to the original Constitution...

I think I may have to build a speculative model of that first Miranda.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen one somewhere...but I have no idea where it was.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a Constitution class USS Endeavour NCC-1895, and with that registry she looks to have been built after the 2270 refit period. It was part of a fleet status list in Star Trek VI.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
According to some sources, The Enterprise A was a new build.

And according to others, it was the renamed U.S.S. Yorktown.

quote:
I have no problem believeing there were some refit Connies in service well after the TOS events in Generations.

Neither do I. In fact, the evidence points to it.

quote:
With the Mirandas, keep in mind, we really have no idea how old that design is. It's entirely possible that some of the earlier Mirandas were originally built with parts that looked more like the TOS Enterprise and were then refit with the new engines and what not around the same time as the Connies.

Possible, yes. But there's nothing to back it up. It's just as possible that the Miranda was designed in the image of the Connie-refit, as actually happened when the Reliant (then called Avenger-class) was designed for TWOK.

quote:
I've seen one somewhere...but I have no idea where it was.

I remember seeing detailed sketches in the Trek Art forum over at TrekBBS. You could try there.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there was just no adequate replacement for the Miranda? The Excelsior was there in the 2290's to replace the old Constitutions, so I doubt they built more ships after series production of that class begun. But on the other hand we never saw something that could have replaced the Miranda. Of course, there are some fan-designed ships that look like Miranda-successors, but nothing was ever said on-screen that there was a replacement - or even an interest to replace - for the Miranda. So if updating them from time to time works fine, why bother building a new class?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ditl.org/sizecomp/mirandanil.jpg

It's a cool idea, really, but I have a very hard time believing that the same ships can be in operation for 100+ years. At least, not TOS era ships.

We know from ST3 and ST6 that the two respective Enterprises were considered old, especially from TSFS. It's my belief that early starships had a shorter life span, and that the Galaxy-class of 2360 was supposed to be one of the longest-living classes ever constructed (100 years according to the Tech Manual).

However, the Mirandas have been in service since at least 2280... and that means that some ships could be up to 90 years old by the time of DS9.

Although... all of the Mirandas we saw in DS9 had NCC-21xxx numbers or higher, so they're probably built somewhere in the early 2300's, or 2320's or so.

Still, lengthening the class life by 30-40 years -- even if it's a major refit -- stretches the explanation for me.

And I agree, the service of the Constitution-class refits probably didn't end right after TUC -- but I doubt that it lasted much beyond the 2310's.

Anyway, that brief appearance of the refit Connie in BOBW has never shown up on the versions of the episode that I've seen, so as far as I'm concerned, it's non-canon! [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

MMoM: Yes...yes...and yes.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's one of those Mirandas in the Marvel Early Voyages Comic "Cloak & Dagger"
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/cortez.jpg

[ March 12, 2002, 04:12: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the 3D Gladiators did a version of it too.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look really closely at Franz Joseph's Starfleet Tech Manual designs, you can see that his tug/transport looks a bit like a TOS-era Miranda class starship. Clearly, it lacks the saucer modifications and the rollbar, but add those in and lose the container grappler and you could have a reasonable TOS Miranda.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!n the era of the first series, there was at least one ship with a registry in the 1800's. This ship, commonly recogized as the USS Intrepid , had the registry NCC-1831 .

A Miranda Class starship, the USS Lantree had a registry of NCC-1837 . Her registry may suggest that this ship was a contemporary of the USS Intrepid .

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by targetemployee:
!n the era of the first series, there was at least one ship with a registry in the 1800's. This ship, commonly recogized as the USS Intrepid , had the registry NCC-1831.

Actually, the Intrepid is NCC-1631. Yes, I *know* the one widely circulated screencap makes it look like an 8. But I just watched the ep the last time it was on, looking especially carefully, and it really could just as easily be a 6. Apparently the Encyclopedia can't decide either. But 1631 is the number on Greg Jein's 1975 Starlog list, which is where the idea that that wall chart number belonged to the Intrepid originated.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1631 makes more sense, since everything else on the list is either 16xx or 17xx. But it really does look like an '8'.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps