Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 19)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I believe that the "Chimera" is actually drawn correctly in the DS9TM, merely because you can see where the mounting points are for motion control, as well as the electrical wires (did these things actually light up?), and those usually go on the bottom of a model. It could be just like the Stargazer, where the top and bottom are nearly identical except the bridge dome is replaced by a sensor dome.

[ March 14, 2002, 01:06: Message edited by: 359mph ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, as long as there is nothing to prove that the two-up, one-down orientation is false, I'll stick to it because it looks cool. [Cool]

Those E-B-style shuttlebays look better if they are on the top half of the saucer, too...

Anyways, the mounting point and lighting wireworks will be placed where it's the most practical - and you ain't gonna mount a motion-control rod on the side of that ship that has the single nacelle, not if you want it to go anywhere near the center of gravity.

Interesting that this model has been wired for lighting while the Raging Queen apparently doesn't even have transparent nacelle grilles (the originals are heavily painted over with yellow paint, and there is blue paint on the former nacelle bottom to suggest the new "warp field grille"). Yet it was the RQ which eventually ended up being used in a close-up shot, with the new nacelles apparently being the only lit part...

Timo Saloniemi

[ March 14, 2002, 02:36: Message edited by: Timo ]

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Still, as long as there is nothing to prove that the two-up, one-down orientation is false, I'll stick to it because it looks cool.

Although I've not seen the photos yet I tend to agree that two-up, one down would be cooler. It makes this ship an excelisor version of the War destroyer from Star Fleet Battles.

http://www.sfbnexus.com/Federation/Fed_DWcomposite.jpg
http://www.sfbnexus.com/Federation/fed_dw1.jpg
http://www.sfbnexus.com/Federation/fed_dw2.jpg
http://www.sfbnexus.com/Federation/fed_dw3.jpg

Just goes to prove that there's never anything new...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
[QUOTE]

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/centaur.jpg

WOW Bernd... what program did you use to make the Centaur schem? How do you whip them up so fast!?!

Love the Centaur, but you forgot the windows in the saucer.

---------------

Also, about the nacelle pylons on the 3NExxie... the connie ones - in DD's schem - he has them connecting to the middle... they appear to connect to the actual saucer.

AND Could the 3NExxie be a TOSMovie version of the Niagra!?! Two up, on down!?!

Andrew

[ March 14, 2002, 05:55: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tried to summarize what we have.

Did I get it right? (And I didn't add the Baracus-class yet. [Wink] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the pics... I think I'm gonna be sick. They look like they were assembled with drunken men...with lots of putty. I don't know, it looks strange to me since I've seen nicer looking versions that fans have made.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
youre just jealous because you love to assemble with drunken men...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About certain ships with no registries or names. Didn't the technical manual say that some vessel were launched without a NCC or a name then.

I have rotated the image of the Excelsior/Constitution Variant and IMHO it looks better upside down.

Finally what is this chimera i keep reading about?

[ March 14, 2002, 08:44: Message edited by: nx001a ]

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where should I be looking for the three deflectors on the Tri-Ex? I can't seem to find 'em...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think 'SURKATS' is a damn good possibility for the Centaur.

Regarding the Medusa, I also prefer the look of it as two up, one down. But I think it has to be the ohter way round. This may have been mentioned before, but consider this evidence:

In the over head view it has the ribbon protruding from the the saucer module, this suggests this could be the underside. Secondly, no name or registry is apparant, this is again because the photo is of the underside, and as yet we've seen no clear view of the topside.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked three search engines, and no one found a single match. If it is Surkats, we have to deal with the fact that this is obviously another in-joke.

Curry, Stipes, Elkins, Eaves, Matz, Williams, Monak, Delara, Buckner. Those are the people listed at startrek.com as the more important guys in the art department around season 5-7. I didn't check everything, but if the name is from someone from the art department, it is probably one of those.

I assume there has never been a starship named Centaur. A provokative theory, but I assume the script called for a ship named Centaur to attack the bug. And they just pulled out one of the models they built for the war arc, namely the kitbashes. The registry/name was never clearly readable, so it didn't matter. Then the factfiles-guys took a close look at the model and realized there was no model labeled Centaur, just one with the name 'xxx'. It had a registry, so they didn't think about it and said 'Hey, look, people, we have the Centaur with registry'. And that's the whole story. So, since the factfiles obviously made the name/registry-connection up, I say let's go with the idea that there is a Baracus-class 'xxx' with the 42043 and a Baracus-class Centaur with an unknown registry. We could say the ship seen in one of the stock-footage shots hanging around at SB375 was the 'xxx'.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

http://starshipmodeler.com/gallery/contest3/scr21.htm

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Small addition:
(google)

Surkats: nothing
Sorkats: nothing
Sailkats: http://dws13.home.texas.net/ktq/ktq3a.html
Sunkats: http://www.tahoedixie2.com/Marina/Marina-Gallery/pages/166.htm, for example

Other suggestions are welcome. [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nx001a:
Finally what is this chimera i keep reading about?

The LUG RPG supplement Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 1: The Ships of Starfleet calls the 3-naceller the Chimera-class. That's non-canon, of course...but far closer to it (ie, officially licensed) than "Medusa."

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ March 14, 2002, 11:38: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the USS Sucrets, along with her sister ships USS Vicks, USS Halls, and USS Nightime Sniffling Sneezing So You Can Wake Up And Not Die A Horrible Mucus Related Death Starship.
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps