Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'The scripts of the movies' or 'What should I take serious and what not' (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 'The scripts of the movies' or 'What should I take serious and what not'
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd much rather have the Intrepid as the second Connie for a couple of reasons. One (and I know this doesn't really pull any kind of weight), I guess I can just visualize it much better as a Connie than a Miranda, what with the lineage of the name and all. Secondly, I think it's already been theorized that the Miranda is the U.S.S. Shepard. Actually, I personally think the model was left labeled as the Saratoga. Isn't it possible the Saratoga was towed back to spacedock along with the Yorktown? That would make sense to me. Although, that would only work if we didn't see the Miranda until the end of the movie SD scenes. I can't rememebr if we saw it in the earlier shots, with the shuttles going dead.

In any case, I think I'll add a second Constitution-class U.S.S. Intrepid to my shiplist in addition to the NCC-1631...at least for now.

Hehe...I just had a thought. Wonder if this one should be NCC-1831! [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okuda was working on TVH.. he designed his movie era Okudagrams for the 1701-A bridge (the ones that Shane Johnson wrote 'transwarp' all over for 'Mr. Scotts Guide'. It was his first ST work.

I dont think any of the models were in any probability labeled Intrepid, although I suppose the Connie could have been. I'd like to say I definitely doubt the Miranda should be called Intrepid.

BTW, how dare you call Jane Wiedlin and the Go-Go's obscure!? infidel!.. I have an issue of Starlog with a rare picture of her on the bridge being directed by Nimoy.. shes a cutie. Theres an OK pic online at some movie era fanfic site that has dozens of pictures but no fanfic.. whatzit called.. 'Albion' or something. The kid who does it is kind of delusional, but the pics are DVD grabs so theyre real clear. I'll find a link, he has a lot more stuff in the SFHQ
edit:
http://www.ady1971.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sfcom4.jpg
http://www.ady1971.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sfcom8.jpg (That's Jane on the right)

[ March 12, 2002, 16:27: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all likelyhood those models were actually labled as they had been in the rest of the movie.
Which would mean (if you take things literally) that the Saratoga was in two places at once and that there were 2 Enterprise-As in spacedock at the end of the movie.

It is however resonable to assume that the Intrepid was ment to be represented by either the Conni or the Miranda, perferably the conni but probably the Miranda since there were no Constitution ships visible when we first see spacedock...unless I've missed something.

Wasn't there supposed to be an Oberth-class U.S.S. Copernicus NCC-623 in there aswell?
I have yet to spot it.

On a side note...that probe is huge!!! did anyone notice the shot as the probe moves past spacedock? the lil mushroom is dwarfed!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Copernicus is really only visible if you have the widescreen version.

Spikey has a screencap.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a reason that the Oberth Class ship's registry is not visible. The model is labeled as the USS Grissom NCC-638 . This is confirmed by watching the destruction sequence of the USS K E Tsiolkovski NCC-53911 in the "Naked Now". Of course, this leads us to a question. Where did the starship USS Copernicus NCC-623 originated? Could she have originated from a ship listing?

As for the issue of the USS Intrepid , she has to be the Miranda Class ship.

Sequence of events

1. Probe nears space mushroom
2. See inside space mushroom
3. Ships power down. Shot shows Orbital Shuttle 5, identified in official Paramount publication as Magellan , USS Excelsior NX-2000 , and an unnamed Miranda Class starship.

A point of interest about this last ship. Unlike other known Miranda Class ships, she is missing her registry on the aft section of the nacelles. She could have been a recently constructed starship. This information is revealed in the DVD version.

The other ships mentioned-the Constitutions and the Oberth-are shown at the end of the movie.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, we should remember that we only see the Miranda in the final scene, where the heroes receive their new assignment. Some time has obviously passed. In that time, the Intrepid could have sailed in and out of Spacedock several times. Whatever damage the Probe did to her, she would have been close to expert repair services and most likely the first one among the near-Earth casualties to be brought back to operational status.

In contrast, the ships incapacitated by the Probe in deep space could have been towed to several locations for repairs, Earth being among the *less* likely candidates considering that it had just been attacked and had other priorities for repairs. Thus, I don't think the Saratoga or the Shepard or the Yorktown would really be present in Spacedock even in the final scene.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo,

When I have the time, with not working or playing Halo or Project Gotham Racer, I will present a chronology of events using the DVD 'time clock'. Until then, we have a difference of opinion on when the Miranda Class ship is seen in the 'space mushroom'.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, I'm hereby changing my opinion without the need for further proof. I don't have widescreen data, so I couldn't tell where the Miranda was seen - I just thought I heard it was during the final flyaround scene...

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see a Miranda in the end.

There's a Miranda at 19 minutes 45 seconds:

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/miranda_tvh.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I open the prospective can of worms regarding the slightly conflicting shots of the Excelsior? That in some shots the Excelsior is pointing toward the space doors, while others show the Excelsior laying broadside to the doors.

Some of us like to interpret the VFX murkiness as the presence of two Excelsior-class ships in Spacedock at the time. The Repulse is a good candidate. A new Yorktown is another... [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

Uh, a new Yorktown doesn't sound very promising, considering that the ship was supposed to be distressed in deep space at the time...

Any of the 2000-range ships from the ST6 shiplist could fit the bill, too. Ahwahnee, Challenger, Korolev...

Timo Saloniemi

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know the Constitution-class Yorktown was renamed Enterprise, according to official backstory. We know five years later, Tuvok's parents were serving on a Yorktown.

I don't like to think Starfleet would screw Captain Randolph out of his ship just to give it to Kirk. I do like to think the Yorktown was due for impending retirement anyway, with Randolph taking command of a new, probably Excelsior-class, vessel.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing should be clear: The Yorktown can't have towed the Saratoga back to dock (nor could any other ship have doen this) because we know that the probe has neutralized any vessel in range.

Furthermore, this can't be the Shepard (allthough I thought so for a long time) since the script gives us the text spoken by Trillya reveals an infection by some virus and a failure of life support in 8 hours. If they are inside spacedock they could easily evacuate the ship.

If they filmed the sequence but cut it down to 'External view with probe-internal view-lights failing', without any spoken text (allthough we got to see the control room, which means there has to be something more because no one biulds such a set if they don't need it, not even for two seconds), but left the effects as they were, we had the docked Excelsior, the cut-scene, and the Excelsior heading towards the doors, whcih makes sense.

Only a month ago I have seen the first four movies at cinema, and I took a closer look at several scenes, including those in SFHQ, the Copernicus and this one. And the Miranda and Excelsior are the only two ships visible inside. If the Miranda didn't have a name, the reason may be it was a yet-to-be-commissioned vessel.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I wasn't sure about the Shepard's canon status, so I checked EAS:

quote:
USS Shepard, disabled by the alien probe in "Star Trek IV", was only in the script, according to the Encyclopedia III
Well, that's another instance were the Encyclopedia is wrong. If you listen really hard, you'll hear that the Shepard was mentioned onscreen.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

I think that's exactly our problem: where does canon end? Encyclopedia says Shepard was not on-screen, but it was. Encyclopedia says Ticonderoga was on-screen, but the scene was cut. Then there is Intrepid. Maybe we should take everything from the final draft of the sript as canon.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps