Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'The scripts of the movies' or 'What should I take serious and what not' (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 'The scripts of the movies' or 'What should I take serious and what not'
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Intrepid - I reckon that it's a refit connie. In "Obsession" All the Vulcans died cause of the cloud creature, did they not? The vessel wasn't necessarily destroyed.

2. Have you noticed my little 'cargo ship' isn't in Starbase anymore!

3. I've noticed that the big flood lights usually point to a ship that is parked in the dock - not maybe as much in ST4, but mostly in the ST3 pics/scenes.

4. Nice flood lighting on the Oberth in that Spacedock pic... did we get that in ST3?

5. I still think a series based on that alien reading out weather reports would have been good! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enc. is just a book made by people. And people make errors all the time. So don't believe everything and trust nobody. ;-)

For me that isn't a real problem. It's rather simple:

Shepard -> onscreen -> canon
Ticonderoga -> not onscreen -> not canon.

[ March 13, 2002, 06:50: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
1. Intrepid - I reckon that it's a refit connie. In "Obsession" All the Vulcans died cause of the cloud creature, did they not? The vessel wasn't necessarily destroyed.

No, the ship was destroyed by that giant-Amoeba-thingee in "The Immunity Syndrome."

I'm going to include a U.S.S. Intrepid of unknown class from TVH in my list. It *could* be the miranda, but that's just speculation. For all we know, it could've been an altogether different ship type that was parked on the far side of the dock (behind the big central core.) I'd certainly rather have it be something like that than a Miranda...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ March 13, 2002, 15:18: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Ticonderoga -> not onscreen -> not canon.

But it was mentioned onscreen, it's just that the particular scene was cut from the released version of the film...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given that nobody questions a bunch of Okuda's NCC numbers that were NEVER onscreen, or the Daedalus shape, or the entire TNGTM which wasn't onscreen except for bits and pieces...Not to mention fan-invented class-names such as Shelley and other rumors...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering something... Why is everyone assuming the Yorktown and Saratoga (and Shepard) are fucked until someone goes to tow 'em back in? When the Probe withdrew past Spacedock, everything came back on. As it withdrew past the locations at which it encountered the other ships, why would they not come back on, too -- if not earlier, when the Probe first shuts down its mysterious energy-damping aura, if it propegates through subspace or some such...?

Why would there be much to "repair" at all if everything just comes back online of its own accord? Yeah, there were some fried circuits and such, but nothing catastrophic springs to mind.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spacedock recovered, but the Yorktown was strongly implied to be dead in space long after the Probe passed it. (I don't recall, now, if it had already reached Earth by the time they got the transmission at Starfleet Command.)

It seems possible that the Probe was responsible for "restarting" Spacedock and the vehicles inside it, something it had no reason to do for those unfortunate ships it had encountered earlier.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about those people in the auxillary craft in the Spacedock - how long would they have lasted without power!?! And I think there must be some sort of 'atmosphere' - be it impulse gasses or what ever, cause look at them slow down when the power shuts off... they should just keep going (inertia) and bang into the side of the Spacedock!

Andrew

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spacedock was orbiting earth, being in a 90�-angle to the surface (or, 'facing upwards'). Thus, earth's gravitation may have caused the shuttles to drift downwards, towards the surface of earth.
And maybe they slowed down because there were some sort of stabilizers, emegrency boosters to avoid the scenario you described, crashing into something or drifting away if the engines fail.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone referenced the Nimoy Director's Cut of ST:TVH on VHS? It was widescreen and as I recall had better coverage of spacedock?

Later!
Art

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

First I've heard of it!! The only different versions of the movies I've ever heard of were (The new) Director's TMP, the ABC TWOK, the Video version of TUC (with West), and well the pirate cut Generations scenes on the net (which I haven't got around to looking at!)

Andrew

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the same cut, except it was released on VHS in widescreen and it had an "about widescreen" thingy at the beginning.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...they should just keep going (inertia) and bang into the side of the Spacedock!"

Erm... If the ships would keep moving (which, of course, they would), what would stop Spacedock itself from moving also?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I follow. Why would Spacedock stop moving?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. That's what I'm asking. If he's not suggesting that Spacedock stopped moving, why else would the ships crash into the sides of it? Shouldn't they all be moving together?
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps