Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Just a small question... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just a small question...
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thingn is confusing:
This one is a CGI; If the starship Excelsior from 'Flashback' is CGI (I thought it was exactly the same ship used later for various DS9-episodes), it could be the ship. But if the Flashback-ship is a physical model, that would mean this can't be the starship Fredrickson. I am sure the fleet shots done for 'Sacrifice of Angels' and 'Favor the Bold' were completely CGI (I think the Companion says so), while the former episodes combine both techniques. And I'm nearly 100% sure the Excelsior from 'Favor the Bold' (the ship passing closely below the camera) was the same model as Excelsior. And when you look at the registry, it appears to be 2000, not some weird 5-digit-number.

I have to search for my SotL-calendar, but what was the registry of that Excelsior? I think it was readable.

And another question: What does the Excelsior do at UP? I mean - the Galaxys and Akiras and everything seem to be still in production, just like Voyager, but they don't build another Excelsior, and they don't assign a 42xxx-number. Same for the four-digit-number, btw. So, what do they do there?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Fredrickson was CGI. The ship in the pic is the Fredrickson.

That's all.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Oh, FUCK. Every time I . . .

OI! WATCH YOUR MOUTH!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

[Razz] :D:P:D:P:D:P:D

(Only kidding - but just couldn't resist, don't know why . . .)

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle...

First off, if regos are any indication, Akiras are older ships. As for what all of them are doing there, I'd direct your attention to a little work called "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". Refits, repairs, and upgrades are all good reasons to see a ship in dock.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Pereginus!

Way to cite canon!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Flashback" Excelsior was a 4ft long physical model built by Greg Jein for the episode.

I'm pretty sure that same model was used to represent the USS Malinche, and later the Fredrickson. And yes, the "Sacrifice of Angels" fleet was likely all CGI, but I'm talking about the bits made for "Favor the Bold" - still featuring some motion control. Here's the Excelsior from "FtB", and here.

[ April 08, 2002, 21:09: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, did we ever figure out what that registry says?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, what's that thing poking out in front of the GCS saucer on the left in http://www.shiporama.org/images/fleet/fleet14.jpg?

(More detailed map: To the left of the main Excelsior on the bottom is a Galaxy or Nebula saucer. In front of that, one can see an Akira, and what looks very much like a Sovereign saucer.)

What could it be besides that? I can't think of anything off-hand that would have such a shape.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that little clumplet is two Galaxies, a Miranda, and a Steamrunner, in the midst of a point perspective-induced orgy.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steamrunner, yes. Could be the strange positioning of lights for that scene, but look at the Galaxy class next to it. It appears to have a second saucer kitbashed on top of it, but it's just the shadow of the main phaser. I think there is another one later; I didn't know what it was, but I fugured out it was just the front view of an Akira. Anyhow, it looked strange.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see two Galaxies, an Akira, and a Steamrunner.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And Mark, and Mim, and Chris, and Kyle, and Veers, and...

Next time on Romper Room...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
...And Mark, and Mim, and Chris, and Kyle, and Veers, and...

"And you were there, and you were there, and you were there, and there's no place like home!"

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps