Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nova & Nova: Side by Side (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nova & Nova: Side by Side
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilso! Where *do* you get these from?!

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/shipgallery/shipgallery3/novavariant.jpg

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! [Eek!] Is that the actual CGI Foundation used for the Rhode Island? They really went out of their way to make it look more advanced or powerful.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the RI has Sovereign-style lifepods, too? More support for the claims that this is a "new" lifepod design, and thus more problems for those wishing to consider the Akira or the Steamrunner older vessels. Or then a sign that lifepods can be easily changed in a minor refit... In any case, those pods are much smaller than their Sovereign equivalents.

This is the sort of variation I'd like to see in all Starfleet designs. I could even buy the continuing presence of the Mirandas in the TNG era if they didn't look so completely identical to the old USS Reliant...

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're from the Fact Files.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is this "USS Rhode Island" from? Just fanfic? Is it bigger than the old Nova or just closer to the camera?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's from the Voyager series finale, "Endgame". Since you obviously haven't seen the ep, I won't spoil you with whose ship it is or any of the other details.

It appears to be the same size as the Equinox, but, as you can see, several details are different.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time I saw the episode, I swear that the RI was larger than what could be considered for the Nova class, plus had weapons to take on the Negh'Vars or Voodians, or whatver they are called then.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other way around - the Voodieh (variants?) were smaller than the RI!

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the Rhode Island DIFFERENT enough to be given another Class status - or is it just a Nova Variant?

several differences I've spotted so far:

Different bridge module/area
No forward 'divot'
No tubes on the medial surfaces of the Nacelles
The 'consumables connection hardports' area - "the back bone" is different
Life pods
Bussard Collectors
Sensor packs behind bridge
Auxillary Deflector (Why was Voyager's never lit)

Nice ship (both of them).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndrewR: To answer your question, no comment was made in "Endgame" that specifically states that the Rhode Island was or wasn't a Nova Class ship. I don't get the Fact Files, so I don't know if they stated that it is a Nova. However, Mojo told us that Rob Bonchune wanted to re-use the Nova class for the finale, so make of that what you will. And personally, I don't see enough difference between the two ships to reasonably state that they are two different classes.

Spoilers ahead$$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
IMHO, if the VFX guys knew that the Rhode Island was going to be taking on two Voodieh class ships, they shouldn't have given Harry a puny Nova no matter how much they modified it. They should have given him a battleship, or at least the Prometheus.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
differences between the Nova-class USS Equinox and the Nova-class USS Rhode Island[/i]:
different bridge module
different deflector housing
different escape pods
alteration of warp nacelle structure
alteration of hull detail between nacelles

differences between the Constitution-class NCC-1701 and the Constitution-class NCC-1701-A:
different bridge module
different deflector housing
different windows
alteration of warp nacelle structure
alteration of hull detail between nacelles

I dont think we need to sweat the class difference...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Differences between Soyuz- and Miranda-classes? An aft section with a few sensors. Differences between Yellowstone- and Danube-classes? None observable.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you look at the differences of the RI and the Nova, you'll se that the deflector is replaced by the same one they use on the Intrepids, which could mean that perhaps the smaller one is more efficient.

What I think happened, at least during that time, that the Nova class could have had a sister ship, one heavily armed, and one lightly armed. Maybe both were equal in size or the Ri was actually larger.

Hmmm...

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The RI had a very low registry for a ship seen 20 or years into the future.
Something like the galaxy range.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

And the Pasteur was NCC-58928.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps