Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nova & Nova: Side by Side (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nova & Nova: Side by Side
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing that says the RI is a new ship in the 2390's... In fact there is a good amount of evidence that suggests to me that the ship is an older one that was either built as a varient of the Nova or a later refit of the Nova spaceframe.

At the same time, there is nothing about the lifepods that changes my opinion on the Akira being a Pre-TNG ship. In fact it supports my opinion that such ships were in the middle of or at the end of a refit process.

And are the GCS and SCS lifepods that different? I haven't checked the SCSLP dimensions, but if they are smaller or the same in overall size as the GCSLP, they could fit in the same "lifepod tube" and you would only have to add a small amount of material around them [mostly in the tube corners as the GCSLP's are roughly cubical]. If you're just adding a little bit of material to the tube, putting in new pods, and replacing the hatch --- don't call it a refit, upgrade is a much much better word.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: The Soyuz was a special case. TPTB wanted the ship to be a TOS Constitution. However, they didn't have the budget to make one, so they modified the Miranda. This was not what they had intended on doing, so I don't count this in the argument. IMHO, they could have modified the model much better so that the class differences would be more pronounced, such as adding a third nacelle or a secondary hull underneath the saucer. But they didn't.

And as far as the Yellowstone/Danube, the entire episode it was featured in was an alternate reality which ceased to exist at the end of the ep, so that doesn't count either.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're obviously supposed to be the same class.

BTW, here's some beauty-views of both versions:
http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com/Federation/StarFleet/Nova02.htm
http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com/Federation/StarFleet/NovaVariant02.htm

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't "beauty views" supposed to be like the pictures I linked to? I thought the ones you link to are schematic views..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to see that the Fact Files consider the RI's ventral phaser array to be a tractor beam emitter. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Though, in their defence, if the Nova is like most other Starfleet ships, it should have a tractor emitter somewhere close to that spot.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's nice to see that the Fact Files consider the RI's ventral phaser array to be a tractor beam emitter
Forget this. The FF always fuck up things like this.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't it impossible to spot tractor beam emitters though? We know there are at least two on the E-D at the bottom of the secondary hull, but we also know that there are a bunch more on the ship.

I think that in TNG's time, tractor beam emitters have become something like TOS' phaser emitters. They come from a different spot each week.

So there is really no point in trying to label them on the hull...

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roaming phaser banks and tractor beam emmiters. Makes them harder for the enemy to target.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If TPTB wanted a Constitution Class, why didn't they just pull out the Refit Enterprise instead of the Miranda Class? Sure it wasn't TOS, but it matches the uniform that Kelsey Grammar wore for the episode.

In a totally unrelated subject, I was going through the book on how Voyager was made and I saw that the Ambassador Class model was still in one piece sitting at some model workstation.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The photo's on page 296 of A Vision of the Future: Star Trek Voyager, by Stephen Edward Poe.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Gerard Gillan
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Gilso! Where *do* you get these from?!

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/shipgallery/shipgallery3/novavariant.jpg

Mark

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure he's glad you answered his question, there.
Gerard Gillan
Ex-Member

quote:

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/shipgallery/shipgallery3/novavariant.jpg

Mark

Mark I got the the Images from The Fact Files
Also I added in a Nova Class Variant on my own Web site.

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/siteupdate/siteupdate.html

Gerard Gillan
Ex-Member

quote:

Mark

Mark I got the the Images from The Fact Files
Also I added in a Nova Class Variant on my own Web site.

http://www.gilsostartrekschematics.co.uk/siteupdate/siteupdate.html

[ May 11, 2002, 14:43: Message edited by: Gerard Gillan ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps