Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nova & Nova: Side by Side (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nova & Nova: Side by Side
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, excellent work! This makes for a really handy reference to what we're talking about here.

Also looking forward to your fan bridge designs section, BTW!

Mark

[ May 11, 2002, 15:00: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, the Rhode Island looks more roundish than the Equinox for some reason. I remember hearing that two versions of the Equinox were made; one damaged and one in pristine condition. The RI could be the pristine model since the fins, the bridge dome, the auxilary deflector, and the hull spine were modified. Some hardrive then could have both starships in it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Ok, the Rhode Island looks more roundish than the Equinox for some reason. I remember hearing that two versions of the Equinox were made; one damaged and one in pristine condition. The RI could be the pristine model since the fins, the bridge dome, the auxilary deflector, and the hull spine were modified. Some hardrive then could have both starships in it.

Yeah, two versions of the Equinox were made. The undamaged version appeared in the Starship Spotter book. Presumably Rob Bonchune took that undamaged model and modified it. So what we have now differences between the two are the ones already stated, but also I've noticed that RI diesn't have the raised shield grid enhancers a la Voyager that Equinox had. I also noticed that the ventral saucer sensor cluster is also different, because RI has a raised bridge dome, she seems to have one more deck than Equinox, because RI has no deflector notch, she's also a a meter or two longer, RI's nacelle fin in not like on Equinox, but more like those on the "LN-64" nacelle, and the middle cliff along the spine is no longer black/hollowed (where aft torpedo launchers would/could be placed), but is filled in. Oh yeah, the RI's impulse engines are in slightly different place along the spine than on Equinox. And the RI doesn't have any shield grid on the ventral stardrive.

[ May 12, 2002, 18:07: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is it still the same ship with the same length, just with one extra deck?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RI is a little longer and a little taller. She has no deflector notch out of the front of the saucer (the saucer apexes where it should) and the raised bridge dome adds one more deck.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, it makes the bridge really, really tall.

Or, they just have a big sensor suite up there, and don't call it a real deck.

Mark

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Maybe there are overhead compartments there that can be used to store medical equipment that falls on the crew in times of attacks.

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the original bridge was sunken into "deck 2" and on the RI it was raised?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Ok, that is strange. Why would a Federation starship bridge be on Deck 2? It's always on the top deck and even the Defiant had its bridge on the upper most deck. I'd think that the bridge dome on the Rhode Island just added more sensor packages or debris to fall on the crew. Oh, I put the side view of the Rhode Island ontop of the Equinox MSD...
Rhode Island MSD

[ May 13, 2002, 20:53: Message edited by: Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge ]

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why would they keep such a small class and put an admiral on it? Go, Galaxy Dreadnought!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they don't put an admiral on it. They put a wimpy captain.

re: bridge: I'm thinking drop-down oxygen masks in the event of sudden depressurization.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Or a mold for a really, REALLY big perogie.

Mark

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's a varient of the Nova class with a smaller Voyager type secondary deflector dish, that ends out in a more pointy bow. The bridge is bigger and taller. Obviously this ship is more heavily armed than the Equinox was. Perhaps an upgraded version or a heavily armed counterpart, perhaps the Defiant Pathfinder herself.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pathfinder, eh? Then why didn't they stay on that path and give one of those to Sisko, if it's such the hot shit? [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's always on the top deck and even the Defiant had its bridge on the upper most deck.
The Akira's bridge isn't on the top deck, since it does appear that those pylon decks extend much taller then the dome ...

Exception to EVERY rule.

Hee-hee.

Haa-haa.

Jesus.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps