Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Computer images from "Conspiracy", et. al (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Computer images from "Conspiracy", et. al
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was suggested that the ship from the screencap from "Conspiracy", the first pic, was a design from the book "Spaceflight chronology" I just bought the book, and I can tell you the design is not there. However, a guy called John Taverni mailed me and mentioned that a ship from the book resembled a section of the mystery ship, this is pic number two. He then put two of those ships together, added a few modifications of his own, not too much as you can see, and we got a ship that resembled the mystery ship from "Conspiracy", which then is pic number three. The ship itself is mentioned in the book as USS Muletrain a Provider-class ship, 225 meters long with a crewcomplement of 65.

[ July 01, 2002, 04:03: Message edited by: Starship Freak ]

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

DoughBoy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking at that picture you fellas were discussing there earlier and the first glace I would have said that it read U.S.S. Atlantic, but the Captains name I would almost swear it said Capt Jack Ryan!
IP: Logged
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoughBoy:
I was just looking at that picture you fellas were discussing there earlier and the first glace I would have said that it read U.S.S. Atlantic, but the Captains name I would almost swear it said Capt Jack Ryan!

What was the name of the U.S.-submarine in 'Hunt for Red October'? I could swear it was the Dallas, but... - what was the release date of the movie? 1989? Hmm... [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Dallas.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starship Freak: Thanks for the info! I really do think that the two ships are one & the same (with "doubled-modifications" to the Okudagram; perhaps Okuda was just trying not to plagiarize Sternbach's design, or wanted to make a variant). Anyway, thanks for clearing up the mystery. One question, though: From what century was this ship supposed to be from?

MMoM: The more I think aboout it, the more I think that it's NOT U.S.S. Alaska. The FASA Officer's manual didn't come out until after the first season of TNG, so it'd be impossible for Okuda to pay homage to a ship that hadn't been invented yet.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the FASA guys had access to the okudagrams and used this name for one of their designs.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible, but there was never actually a design made for the Alaska class. There's a fan design at Shipschematics, but that's all it is - a fan design. Perhaps a true FASA design might have been made later, but they lost their license right after the Officer's Manual came out, so that was the end of it.

Side note: If FASA had ever gotten around to making a design, it most likely would have been based on the Enterprise-C wall ornament, which ironically the Ambassador Ent-C was NOT based on.

[ July 01, 2002, 07:59: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

DoughBoy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Remember FASA's design for the Royal Sovereign Class BattleCruiser? I always thought it looked pretty nifty.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"what was the release date of the movie? 1989?"

The book came out around '81, IIRC.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
perhaps Okuda was just trying not to plagiarize Sternbach's design, or wanted to make a variant).

Wouldn't be the only time.
If you look at the Spaceflight Chronology's version of the DY-500, you'll notice that it's very similar to what Okuda ended up using.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship is from the 22:nd century:
USS Muletrain

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See that "Prototype battlecruiser" is the link to USS Muletrain? I based my USS Wasp class on it ( http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/wasp.jpg ). I saw that schematic in a "Federation Technical Survey" wall chart, which had swiped all its designs from the Spaceflight Chronology. I didn't know that when I drew Wasp because I didn't have the book yet, so my Museum article originally included an acknowledgement to the plagarist.
Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we're on the topic of the Spaceflight Chronology, something that amazed me when I went back and read through my copy last year was that in a couple articles I saw things that look like they were used later in Trek: there's an article talking about a mysterious extra-galactic probe, and the picture/design looks like the basis for the probe in STIV; and there's an article talking about the Romulan War ending with a Federation victory at the Battle of Cheron. Pretty neat to think that this book (published in 1980) was probably used to come up with things later on (in STIV, as mentioned above, and in TNG--"The Defector").
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's continue this with new "old stuff".

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/intrepid1.jpg
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/misc/intrepid1.jpg

And what do you think about this display from "The Measure of a Man". First word in the first line looks like "STARSHIP". But then the third row would be the class-names, which doesn't seem to fit.
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/questions3.jpg

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Captain is Drew Duncan/Deckham/whetever.
I wish all those entries on the lower image's chart are ships, but I don't think we'll ever get to know what the really are
. [Frown]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps