Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rehashing Galaxy Wings (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Rehashing Galaxy Wings
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall that the big dilemma for Worf at the end of the "Paradise Lost" battle was that only a few more shots would likely finish off the Lakota -- killing 500+ Starfleet officers. The Defiant was also in bad shape, but IIRC they only had lost shields -- but still had their armor. Of course, the Lakota stood down shortly after that, and so everything was A-okay.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

And are you sure the Lakota had a fair chance against the Defiant. Someone rattles off a damage report at one point, and the Lakota is faring a lot worse than the Defiant. Take into account that the Lakota thought they were attacking a ship overrun with shapeshifters, and the Defiant was holding back, I'd say that Worf could have pummelled the Lakota if he'd have wanted to.

The Lakota was also holding back and never fired it's quantom torpedoes.

From what the admiral said, if the lakota had used them, the Defiant would have been much worse after the opening volley and most likely destroyed if she took a hit after she lost sheilds.

But the Defiant didn't unleash any quantoms eigther so both were sort of holding back.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the long run, both ships had yet to show what they were really capable of doing. But still, the Lakota was able to fight the Defiant whereas a comparably sized ship like the Galor class would have been diabled two seconds into the fight.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-nil crew takes pot shots at the Excelsior every chance they get. I remember them talking about it in ST2, sabatoging it in ST3, and ridiculing it again in ST4.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, that was only Scotty that expressed his disdain for the Excelsior. Kirk toleraterd the ship. Uhura's statement from ST3 only suggests amazement and you can't tell if she liked her or not. McCoy was said they would probably get a freighter instead of a front line ship in ST4 and in ST6 said the Excelsior was a big ship with no suggestion on whether he liked her or not. Both Spock and Chekov said nothing about the Excelsior at all, good or bad. Other than Scotty, Sulu was the one who kept talking about her. And he was saying grand things about her suggesting that he liked her a lot and was eager to captain her or just serve aboard her as just another officer.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, Scotty liked the Enterprise-B, so i don't think that his comments about the Excelsior can be taken as disdain for the whole class. instead, i believe that Scotty thought the Excelsior was junk due to the fact that, in it's prototype stage, it really didn't work very well. the Excelsior, once fitted out and duty ready, was a grand ship.
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet that a big part of it was originally envy, at having the grand old Constitution Class being pushed out of the limelight. At the same time, the Enterprise was appearing as a busted-up old rustbucket.

And the idea about the hair-brained transwarp drive probably had something to do with it. From what I recall about ST:III, Scotty didn't buy into the Transwarp Drive theory all that much. Especially because he easily sabotaged the ship later on.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
The E-nil crew takes pot shots at the Excelsior every chance they get. I remember them talking about it in ST2...

Then you have the most amazing version of ST2 that has ever existed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I don't remember anything stated about the Excelsior in ST2. In one of the books, maybe ST2, it was said that Sulu would get a Galaxy class ship. But books are non-canon of course.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Wow, that must've been some novel! Sulu was going to get a Galaxy Class starship after ST:II?? Lucky him.

[Razz]

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Can someone help me out? I don't have the book, but when in the scene (reuse of the glory shots in STI) Kirk says "I hope I have you for a few more weeks. I don't think these kids can steer." It was said around there.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I do not remember the exact words, the line was more along the lines of "I'm glad we've got an experienced person at the helm."
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the days before TNG, there was a fandom ship class that was a really big exploratory cruiser, and it was called the Galaxy class.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember:

"Well, I for one am glad to have you at the helm for three weeks. I don't think these kids can steer."

And absolutly no mention of any promotion or new ship what so ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sulu was going to get a Galaxy Class starship after ST:II?? Lucky him."

I wouldn't call him lucky.

Admiral: "Sulu, when we promote you to captain, we're going to give you a top-of-the-line Galaxy-class starship."
Sulu: "Erm... But, the Galaxy class won't exist for about seventy years..."
Admiral: "Hehehe..."

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps