Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Theory on Starship classifications (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Theory on Starship classifications
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the B-52 start life with propeller engines and later got upgraded with jet engines?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so, I think you might be thinking of the B-47. Not sure though.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm almost certain that the B-52 has always had jet engines. I don't think props would work very well for an aircraft of that size, range and payload.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know ST is supposed to be so egalitarian and all, but I suspect the justification is very similar to the shows' producers reason in reality; namely a largely economic one. Even with replicator-tech, these ships would be exorbitantly expensive to construct. (Labor and facilities intensive) I'm certain it would cost far more to lay a new keel and construct a brand new ship than it would to take an older one (and perhaps its crew) and upgrade. If you're looking for fleet support it wouldn't make sense to mothball a perfectly good starship simply because the new hotness can run circles around it. So maybe they have a bunch of perfectly good Mirandas and Excelsiors knocking around and maybe a Dr. Carol Marcus hell-bent on a new research mission convices them to restore an old hull which they weren't even using really to do her thing. So maybe some older ships come out with later registries than you'd expect. Not even Kirk could say no to Bibi.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The B-52 and the B-47 were both built as all-jet bombers from the very beginning. Their immediate predecessor, the gargantuanohumungous B-36, had some jets added when the six twin pusher props weren't considered enough, but she didn't go all-jet.

She was one of the aircraft considered for nuclear propulsion, though - a B-36 actually flew with an active fission reactor aboard, whereas the C-5 Galaxies merely had a space reserved for a reactor. Would have made things easier for the Osamas of this world - no need to target a nuclear plant with a big jet, when you have both in the same package.

The added impulse glow on the Mirandas and the Galaxies in DS9 is probably comparable to the auxiliary jets installed on the B-36, B-50, C-117 and whatnot - a minimal-cost performance-increasing measure to make ships better compatible with each other and with the latest threat speeds. The ships need not have been otherwise altered.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disbelieve that those were impulse engines on those Mirandas.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I waited for untold aeons for the podded, supposedly exchangeable assembly to show some signs of actually being exchangeable for something else useful, and not just removable. I will NOT ALLOW YOU TO TAKE AWAY MY DREAM! [Mad]

Dang. Mods no longer have the power to remove messages. So I'll go for the next best thing...

LAA-LAA-I'M-NOT-LISTENING-LAA-LAA-I-CAN'T-HEAR-YOU-LAA-LAA! [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internacine conflicts are forbidden by the Custodian!
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I disbelieve that those were impulse engines on those Mirandas.

Can I ask why?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly for the same reasons that I do. They are almost certainly an SFX goof. And goofs != canon.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

Umm... Why not? TOS still remains canon, AFAIK.

I hate to waste good opportunities just because somebody may not quite have "intended" something. If we see a starship hanging from a wire, then surely the ship has deployed a long-range wire antenna. If a phaser beam fires anywhere but the direction the actor is pointing the prop at, then this is clear evidence of an automated targeting system of some sort. And if an ages-old ship type suddenly sports extra engines...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Umm... Why not? TOS still remains canon, AFAIK.

I didn't say TOS. I said effects goofs.

I mean, do you really think that the crew continuosly modified the design of the original Enterprise every single episode?

Kirk: I want vents on the nacelles.

*crew changed*

Kirk: No, wait, sperical projections!

*crew changed*

Kirk: No, wait, vents again!

Kor: I will kill you.

Kirk: Just a second Kor. I want to change the size of our navigational deflector first.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

Actually, that sounds fine with me.

Redshirt #1 down in engineering:

"Plasma reaching purge limit again."

Redshirt #2:

"Don't bother *me* with it. Ya do know what ya supposed to do?"

Redshirt #1:

"Sure. Retracting spherical plasma diffuser, exposing vent plate. Venting. Redeploying SPD."

Redshirt #2:

"I said don't bother me with it. Can't think w'out moving ya lips, man?"

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also theorize the nacelles had some type of moving part apparatus depending on what kind of power situation they were in.. is as good an explanation as any, i guess
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
Can I ask why?
1.) The rollbar strikes me as a singularly bad place to put a big impulse engine.

2.) Rear torpedo coverage is a good thing, more good than whatever benefits I can imagine from swapping them out in favor of an engine. (And why not just upgrade the existing one?)

3.) The notion just doesn't sit well with my sense of aesthetics. It is unpretty.

And about the glow? Well, it wouldn't be the first torpedo launcher we've seen that glows during its pre-firing activities. Nor would it be the first time that a visual effects crew has lit a starship oddly.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps