Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Theory on Starship classifications (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Theory on Starship classifications
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm... it has eben shown that the Miranda class can other things than the torpedo roll bar. Perhaps one of them is a large impulse pod.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been shown that the Miranda can get along just fine without the rollbar, yes. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but we've never seen a different module there that I recall. Even the supposed impulse engines were just, as far as I know, the rear tubes of the launcher lit like an engine.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, they have shown that they can fly fine without one and with some other weird objects connected at the sides (Saratoga). What gives you the impression that a second impulse engine is not feasible? It's probably not that hard to gut out the pod and place impulse engines inside to make her faster or whatever. If you think it's because the pylons are too small to allow for some connections to power them, well how does the torpedoes and pahsers mounted on the roll bar get powered?

I haven't seen the pictures in awhile. I am not arguing that there are in fact impulse engines in the pcitrues we see, I am arguing for the fact it is possible.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impulse engines could even have their own power source installed with them; it wouldn't be as powerful as a main reactor but it wouldn't need to be. One question though; why install them in the first place? (well, apart from to make the ship go faster obviously). Why would a Miranda need to go faster?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To keep up with those mackin' Galaxies in the battles?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, the Galaxies were just tearing up the place speed-wise in SofA.

quote:
i also theorize the nacelles had some type of moving part apparatus depending on what kind of power situation they were in.. is as good an explanation as any, i guess
Okay. Now explain why the bridge module kept changing sizes, why the deflector dish kept changing sizes, and why spikes appeared and disappeared from the fronts of the nacelles.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

quote:
i also theorize the nacelles had some type of moving part apparatus depending on what kind of power situation they were in.. is as good an explanation as any, i guess
Okay. Now explain why the bridge module kept changing sizes, why the deflector dish kept changing sizes, and why spikes appeared and disappeared from the fronts of the nacelles.
magic? because the great bird of the galaxy decreed it? you might as well ask how voyager managed to stay so pretty during its little jaunt in the delta quadrant.
IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dish was just a big umbrella anyway. One of the easiest objects to design for variable diameter. "Long-range scans, Mr Spock." "Aye, sir. Refocusing main FTL sensors by adjusting reflector geometry. Retracting focus boom." "I asked for long-range scans, not a bloody operator's manual!" The same goes for the rods sticking out of the ramscoops. And luckily, we don't have to explain the change in bridge profile, since that doesn't show up in the mixed stock material.

It would seem to me that the greatest weakness of an old starship type in fleet action would be its lack of speed. If the ship has weak weapons, no matter: it still has weapons that increase the fleet's overall firepower. If it has weak shields, no matter: it dies a little sooner than other ships, but still increases the fleet's overall resilience to fire by offering another shielded target. But if it has weak engines, it *slows down the entire fleet*.

Speed in actual combat would not matter very much. Impulse speed during the dash from a supposed "warp threshold" to the planet you are striking at is crucial to your surprise factor. (Warp speed during the deployment run from the starbase to the target system would also be crucial to surprise value, if not for the fact that the Dominion can observe all fleet movements across interstellar ranges with ease. So you can only achieve limited tactical surprise in-system, not interstellar surprise.)

Timo Saloniemi

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

They had all three impulse engines running. This could be why the Mirandas had an extra impulse engine.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I want to lay into really anal need to to give a real reason for EVERY SFX goof rather than just saying 'they fucked up', I'll leave it for now and go back to the Galaxy thing.

Didn't Geordi say in "Relics" that impulse technology has remained largely unchanged in 70 years?

Impulse technology seems to be to be a bit of a dead end. The ships can't go faster than 1/4 light speed, they accellerate pretty rapidly anyway. All impulse engines seem pretty equal. When doing maneovours, do the ships just use their impulse engines, or do thrusters come into play? Seems to be that they'd be more important in a battle.

Two things that do bug me. Kirk's "Warp point oh five" in TMP. That can be argued though as saying that Starfleet hadn't established an impulse limit of .25c. But that leeds to the other problem. If the reason starships don't go faster than 1/4 lightspeed is because if time dilation effects, isn't it pretty amazing that every civilised species seems to do the same thing?

And if you're in a battle, why would you care about time dialation anyway? Why not (assuming that you can't go to warp) just crank it up to .99c? Thanks to time dialation, not only will you be really fast, but you'll arrive far quicker than it would appear to your ship.

quote:
They had all three impulse engines running. This could be why the Mirandas had an extra impulse engine.

According to the tech manual, at full impulse the Galaxy class has always had all three engines running. This is not a new thing.

And I meant generally. Look at the shot where the Galaxies open fire on the Galor-class ships. They're moving pretty slowly. In fact, the only real time we see Galaxies moving with any speed is when Sisko first engaged the fleet, and even then all the ships are moving together (and at a speed that you wouldn't describe as "blisteringly fast" either).

I'm with Simon. A rear torpedo launcher seems much more useful, strategically, than an extra impulse engines.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with having impulse engines in the Miranda torpedo pod isn't the power supply; its the amount of torque the engines would generate on the support struts. The mounts on the pod appear able to handle the small amount of recoil torpedo launches would generate, but they don't look anywhere near being strong enough to keep the pod from being torn off the hull by an impulse engine mount running at normal power levels. And if you're not going to run it at normal power levels, why put an engine in the pod in the first place?

BTW, PsyLiam, the tech manual does not say that all three impulse engines are running when a Galaxy is at full impulse. It says "High impulse operations, specifically above 0.75c, may require added power from the Saucer Module engines." And Geordi's line in "Relics" was that impulse engine design hadn't changed much in the past 200 years, IIRC.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Hmm. That would seem to imply that at full impulse (or in emergencies) they DO travel faster than .025c.

Crazy.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By a factor of ten, to be precise.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Thinking about it, I don't suppose time dialation would be much of a problem over the small time span of a big ship fight. And I doubt that most of the ships would have even gotten up to full speed, what with all the manourvering they had to do.

--------------------

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clearify.

Maximum Impulse: .75c
Full Impulse: .25c
Half Impulse: .125c
Quarter Impulse: .0625

---As for limited speed in fleet action, I would think that all ships are capable of at least Warp 9 in 2370's... I don't think they would try to push anything above that.

As mentioned elsewhere, the Impulse Engine [the Fusion generator] has not changed in 200 years from it's basic design. But there is an added mechanism, the Space-Time Driver Coil which is only ~55 years old by 2370's. --- I feel that the Space-Time Driver Coil, is a new mechanism, but it's function is not new. Before the Ambassador Class they used the Warp Field Coils to produce a symmetrical X millicochrane subspace field that reduced ship's mass and thus made it easier to move. [The only reason to use a Driver Coil is to reduce wear and tear on the field coils.]

Yadda, yadda, yadda---

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps