Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Dominion Battlecruiser Sizes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dominion Battlecruiser Sizes
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, this changes things.

Okay, we have the bug, which in the VFX is ~93m. And the V-ship, which is about 3 times the size of the bug, so if you believe me, it's ~300m.

Then there's the big ship Tom mentioned, which might very well be a different type.

Then the ~1200m batteship.

Now, the battecruiser. It was, I think, ~350m in CtA. And about that in SoA. So...I don't think it's ever been ~700m.

BTW, Galors aren't useful for scaling, since they keep changing size. Nor is DS9, for that matter.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Robot: "Hey, I'm stuck up here!"
Cyclonus: "Everybody's got to be somewhere."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still prefer the 4 ship formula.
The issue here is not about the Bug or the Supercruiser.

It's about the Battlecruiser (639.75) and the Destroyer (385 meters - accoring to me).

I agree that last ship the Defiant flew over was massive...closer to 900 m, but I think it was just an oversized battlecruiser.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that thing hanging down from that big ship that the defiant and the bofp's a flying over - ?? is this a newwy - or is this the infamous huge mother that we see in 'valiant' - of course the crew of the 'valiant' don't know about it - cause they are behind enemy lines...

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: That's the ship we're referring to above.

Let me try to get this organized, Peregrine-style.

Bugs

• First appear in "The Jem'Hadar", about 93m, perhaps a bit shorter.
  • Through s3 and s4 they vary from 120-160m, [assuming a 170m Defiant]
  • In the great nail-down of s5, they are nailed down at 152m.
  • s5-present they've been 152m consistently. [assuming a 170m Defiant]

Cruisers
    Variant One: V-ship

• 300-400m, seen in "In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light". Leaving wormhole footage reused at start of "Call to Arms"

Variant Two: Standard Battlecruiser

• In "Ties and Blood of Water" it docks at DS9, and despite the station's rather erratic size, it is obviously between 500 and 800m long. This is supported by the windows. The docked shot reappeared in "In the Cards" and "Call to Arms". Worf referred to it as a Battleship.
  • In the final battle of "Call to Arms", appears at 625-750m long assuming a 152m long bug.
  • In "A Time to Stand" is shown docked to Terok Nor along with several Galors. Clearly in the 625-750m range. This shot is reused in most of the remaining War arc stories.
  • 300-400m during battle with Starfleet forces in opening of SofA fight.
  • Immediately before the Klingons arrive, the Defiant passes over a few. They appear to be bigger than above, but any extrapolation here is iffy.

Variant Three: BattleBattleCruiser

• Appears in back lines of Dominion fleet in "Sacrifice of Angels". 800-1000m long.

Battleships

• Experimental Dominion Dreadnaught, "twice as big as Galxy Class ship", (1300m?) from "Valiant".

BTW, my current guess is that the "battlebattlecruiser" was either designed as yet another draft of the Cruiser design (like the Standard one) before "Ties..." aired, or was created in the "SofA" production process by adding a lot more detail to the current model for its close-up.

------------------
    "......"
    �������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

[This message was edited by The_Tom on April 10, 1999.]

[This message was edited by The_Tom on April 10, 1999.]

• Aethelwer
    Frank G
    Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The bug has never been shown to be 152m, to my knowledge.

Don't assume a 170m Defiant. The Defiant has never been shown to be 170m on the show. I don't care what you believe, but even if you think the VFX have been wrong each time, the ship has always been 120m in the VFX.

I haven't investigated the windows, but, again, DS9 itself isn't useful for scaling.

The battlecruiser in CtA was 3.5 times the length of the bug.

------------------

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    See why we shouldn't use the VFX for numbers? Just use them to say "this ship is bigger than that ship" or "this ship is about half-as-long as that ship", an so on...

And let me clarify that "four sizes" thing. I was only trying to give precedent for having four different majore sizes of ships. I wasn't saying that every race needs to have four sizes. The Cardies only have two (Galor/Keldon and Hideki). The Rommies only have one, unless you count the scout! I was just trying to counter the arguement "What purpose would this ship serve? The Dominion already has a heavy assualt ship and has its smaller 'fighters.'".

------------------
    "I KNOW I'm dense..."
    -a certain anonymous administrator

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Frank: The bug was 152m every time it was shown with the Defiant ;-)

[lets not take this any further. You know where it will go...]

The Battlecruiser "appeared" 3.5 time the length of a fighter in CtA when they passed by beam-on.. but later on, you see them from the back, and there's actually several hundred meters between them. The battlecruiser is clearly shown to be 3-4 times the beam of the fighter. That fits it into the 630-730 Stipes/Sternbach length bracket.

*hunts for piccy from ToB+W, ItC or CtA or ship docked*

------------------
    "......"

Aethelwer
    Frank G
    Member # 36

If you scale the bug up by the same amout as the Defiant, it comes to about 132m.

And those ships aren't several hundred meters apart. Watch the episode; they're actually very close.

------------------

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Look at the picture, they're actually very far.

------------------
    "......"

Curry Monster
    Somewhere in Australia
    Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Oh dear...Tom and Frank once again dance the enernal ship debate waltz.

------------------
    I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Jim Phelps
    watches Voyager AFTER 51030
    Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I would highly recommend we limit VFX measurements to upper and lower limits, since what one person sees as close may be far away to another.

Boris

Aethelwer
    Frank G
    Member # 36

A rational opinion, yes.

------------------

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

That doesn't make a calculation of a 350m battlecruiser based on those pictures any less logical.

------------------
    "......"

Jim Phelps
    watches Voyager AFTER 51030
    Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Another suggestion - leave the V-ship debate to rest until we are actually able to observe the window spacing on the model. I believe there are some windows on the underside of the ship, not visible in the usual diagrams.

Boris

Bernd
    Guy from Old Europe
    Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I'd prefer the window argument, but I'm not sure if the window distances of the two cruiser types are actually different, if they only modified the V-ship to model the battlecruiser.

Otherwise my old rule applies:

*** Equal shape ----> equal size ***

*takes cover*

------------------
    Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
    www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

[This message was edited by Bernd on April 14, 1999.]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps