Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Dominion Battlecruiser Sizes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dominion Battlecruiser Sizes
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Like the Vship!
I reckon it IS about the size of a Galor, or maybe just a tinsee bit smaller - and the SoA Jemmie ships - are a bit bigger - about size of Galaxy class? and the Valiant ship about 2-3 times as big as a galaxy... maybe as big as the Mirror Negh'Var?

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the V ship first appeared in the 2 parter 'In Purgatory's shadow' and then in 'By Infernos light'.

However the next time this ship was seen was in 'Ties of Blood and water' TPTB decided that the V ship model wasn't pretty enough so they made a more highly detailed and larger ship (Eg Duakts Flagship in A Call to Arms). They chose to ignore the V ship, including in the DS9 TM . However the V ship then cropped up again in the SOFA battle at roughly 400 meters.

Bernd - Yes there are differences between the two! Notice the different proportional nacelle sizes, and the fact that the front fork of the larger of the pair ends off more quickly than that of the smaller one.

A full comparison if you please *L*: (Promptly pasting together new one!). I just threw in the Defiant for reference...so no maoning about it's size!

Voila!

Ships of the Jem Hadar

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

[This message was edited by Daryus Aden on April 07, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, more V-ship views. Thanks, Tom.

I wonder if the scenes where the battecruiser shows up as ~300m are meant to be of the V-ship. Or maybe this is the BoP situation again.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Destruction Drone: "Throw down your weapons and I will spare your miserable lives!"
Rollbar: "That's the best offer we've had all day..."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Daryus, I don't think there were any V-ships in SofA. But we can pretend that the 400ish meter cruisers were actually V-ships.

*all join hands*

Shimberee... shimberah.. shimbereee.. shimberah

(obscure purple dinosaur reference)

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I suppose the whole V ship thing in itself is debateable as the cruiser is only a slightly changed V ship model which has been scaled differently.

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the 300-400m ship is *supposed* to look different than the 700m ship, I can accept it rather than a huge K'Vort class BoP for which there has always been only one model.

------------------
Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Sidewinder
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for Sidewinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What purpose would this ship serve? The Dominion already has a heavy assualt ship and has its smaller "fighters."

------------------
There's a lady who knows, all that glitters is gold...and she's buying a stairway to heaven. -Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Frank would probably argue that they have a battleship, a battlecruiser, a cruiser, and a destroyer. Personally, I'd just say they have four different sizes of ships. Think about like this: Klingons have Negh'Vars, Vor'chas, K't'ingas, and BoPs. The Feds have Galaxies, Excelsiors, Mirandas, and Defiants. The Dommies have battleships, battlecruisers, V-ships, and bugs. It all works out...

(Of course, we have yet to see a giant ship for the Cardies, but there's always the finale... *hopes*)

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Excalibur
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to say that the DS9TM says that the Jem'Hadar Battle Cruiser is 639.75m x 568.44m x 204.97

------------------
"Walk softly and carry a big stick"-Theodore Roosevelt

IP: Logged
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

Excalibur - Thanks, I know *L*.

Four ships are logical. The Cruiser is the size of a Galaxy, and you can only build so many of those. You need a medium sixed warship - The V ship!

------------------
I drink therefore I am.

-Descartes

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've given some thought to the V-ship's absense lately and have come up with a theory the V-ship is a sort of hunter-killer ship designed to track down rebels to the Dominion and eliminate them. It's not designed to sit in a big fleet a la SofA or CtA and exchange fire with a wall of ships but rather chase after single Galor-sized targets or so and get rid of them cleanly. In "Purgatory.." we must assume Dukat basically gave every Cardassian defence code to the Dominion in exchange for his new leadership role, as there is no way a fleet of that size would have gained an iron grip over Cardassia in such a short time. Therefore the aim of the first convoy was not primarily supplying raw firepower but providing equipment to quickly exterminate any renegade Guls who'd try and make a run for it. The V-ships are probably optimised for speed, sensing and operating one mean running firefight with a target but are probably not as well armoured as the regular battlecruisers.

------------------
"......"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proof is here.

Looking at these picture from Perdo's Shiporama and visually identifying the Jem-hadar Battlecruiser near the Galor, we see that they have a nearly identical length. Didn't soemone say there was one size, which was about 700m? How long is a Galor? 300 is it? It stands to reason that this is about 300 as well.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps even shorter.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

For those of you who thought four was too many...

I was reviewing Saba's videos from SofA, and had a good long look at the final ship the Defiant passes over... the damn big one that's a squeeze to squish into the 630-730 meter size bracket... and lo and behold... I think we have yet another Battlecruiser design. Nearly identical from the back, but from the front you can make out quite a few differences

• A very big bird-chest sticking downwards
  • A sort of modular segmentation on the madible not seen in the other battlecruisers
  • Thin, nearly 45% pylons holding up the upper nacelle-things that are far less snug to the ship than in the V-ship and standard battlecruiser.
  • Two big central ridges that start about 2/3 of the way from the bow to the "poop deck" and no visible ridging in front of that.
  • Overall size... I think 850+ m is more reasonable.

Now have I cracked yet another great secret of ship scaling or should I lay off the LSD?

BTW, the only image Pedro had doesn't really show off the features I was talking about too well... they appear several frames later, often lit by the light of the explosion.

------------------
    "......"

[This message was edited by The_Tom on April 09, 1999.]

• The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

*pokes FedSM*

We know that the Battlecruiser in SofA was not a V-ship but was of V-ship size. However, everywhere else it was 600-700m long, which fits the windows on the model better.

BTW, the thread is a bit long and therefore big as it is... could we change those pics to URLs?

------------------
    "......"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps