Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here)
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Hemingway at least mentioned? Was any stardate mentioned?

Edit: Does anyone know if the DVD will have all the cut scenes?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Yes. Uh, 56ish?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the new thing in Federation shielding would be Spandex size. No more bubble shields like on USS Voyager. It's now DS9 shielding.

It's funny that the more I think about the movie, the more I feel like finding a new hobby to replace Star Trek. Something didn't feel right when I saw it again, like Star Trek was missing its soul. I think the entire time I saw it again, I was mostly uncomfortable. Seeing it again for the second time made it seem flat, like the characters lost something.

I think it must have been the coffee.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pout for my thread lockdown.

Anyway, someone here once mentioned that there could easily be several different shield systems used depending on what kind of combat undertaken, or environment they're in. I forgot what logic was used, but since we've seen ships use more than one shield type and often revert BACK to the previous one, there could be an explanation in that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking over the movie's rough draft script, I noticed a few things.
1. Deck 29 was even in the rough draft, so Logan didn't do enough reference checking.
2. Given that Picard's conversation with B-4 at the end of the movie is when the E-E's already in dock, the whole Hemingway reference was probably never filmed. The script had the reference of the Hemingway arriving to tow the E-E home just as the conversation ends.
3. This is most likely assumed by everyone who has read the early script. Not much was changed from the released rough and final scripts.
4. If Susan Gibney was indeed part of the cast, then she probably had one scene taken away from her and given to Whoopi Goldberg. (The conversation Geordi had with Leah just prior to Worf's Irving Berlin comment, he now has with Guinan.)
5. And I would not be surprised if Paramount releases a bare-bones dvd first as it seems likely a dvd release would be before even ST6 gets a director's/special edition release. And most likely, the Nemesis special edition dvd is going to be a director's edition/cut release with all the edited/deleted stuff put back in the movie itself and not a separate bonus feature on the second disc.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, some of my notes:

-Reman fun: Used as ground troops during the Dominion War! Cannon fodder. One wonders on what planets they were used... Probably only on planets that the Romulans had sole operational authority, so no one would notice where they were from. It certainly seems that the Romulans used them as a slave race, and they were not some Vulcan offshoot.

-Hey, first time anyone has used the term "Dominion War"!

-Shinzon rose to prominence during the Dominion War, winning a dozen engagements. I'm guessing that somewhere during this time he started bulding the Scimitar. Given the superficial resemblence to a Dominion battlecruiser (probably unintentional on the production side, but certainly there), I'm guessing that the War gave him more than just prominence in the Romulan ranks. Perhaps the Scimitar was a Dominion design captured by the Remans, and then completed in secret? Also, the dustifying weapon they have is in line with something the Dominion would think up...

-For those wondering about the English language use of Scimitar and Scorpion for the Reman ships, well, with the Picard-deifying Shinzon in charge...

-This is the most enjoyable Trek battle I've seen since "Balance of Terror". It's an obvious take on that theme, with the E-E making FULL advantage of her arsenal. We see torpedoes flying from EVERY designed launcher, plus one from the main shuttlebay area. Would it be a popup, or could someone have opened the bay and launched somethign from there? The DVD would probably be needed to solve that question once and for all. And only the forward underslung launcher was used for Quantums. Neat!

-The shuttlebay itelf seems to have changed. In FC, it was designed that the whole door was identical, implying that the whole thing would retract when launching craft. In Insurrection, this changed somewhat, with only the centre sections opening up to launch Picard's shuttle. This time, we see that these centre sections are different in design than the ones surrounding it. They are clearly seen to be different as the Argo launches, and within the shuttlebay you can see there are walls, making the centre section an independent construct from whatever is surrounding it. Perhaps it's a dedicated launch bay for the Argo, with the surrounding sections still capable of opening to launch standard craft?

-I did not see the NX-01 in the briefing room. All I thought I saw was two sets of six starships, what seemed to be mirrored series of the six Enterprises...

-Janeway IS a three-pip Vice Admiral. From the fouth row, this was abundantly clear. Eww.

-The phaser rifles have always been known as semi-automatic weapons, but this time they were very rapid-fire. While I'm sure Worf could work that trigger really fast, I'm sure there's a full-auto at work here.

Mark

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Janeway IS a three-pip Vice Admiral. From the fouth row, this was abundantly clear.
So, she got promoted 3 times within 1,5 years. I love that movie. It's so believable. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twice.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

1.) Captain to 1 Pip Admiral
2.) 1 Pip Admiral to 2 Pip Admiral
3.) 2 Pip Admiral to 3 Pip Admiral

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'll eventually get the MSD use in Nemesis (there was a very clear shot of it) to see if there were indeed 29 decks.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

And I bet you 300 quatloos that it's the same basic one that we've seen since 1996, with a couple snazzy display graphics thrown in.

Mark

--------------------

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nova was NCC-73515
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW Did anyone else think this was like TWOK.

Good verus evil [Wink]
The ending of them trying to stop an weapon (well you know what i mean)
Someone giving their life to stop their friends from dying.
big battle scene

Now if the next one is called Star Trek 10 the search for Data ill stop watching trek forever

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean Star Trek 11.

And if the Nova is NCC-73515, then I say we pull the Yeager situation again: Say the Nova class Nova was destroyed, and the Nova 73515 is a new ship.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The director has made it quite clear that he has no interest in doing a director's cut, though I'm sure an otherwise bonusified special edition will be out someday. I'm not at all sure there will be two versions, though.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps