Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here)
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the battle group was more of a reinforcement for Picard than a "last line". If they really thought the Scimitar would be able to get to earth they would have sent everything they had, including Oberths and Runabouts and any other stuff availabe.
The people at Wolf probably knew that there was not a good chance that they could defeat the cube. But every additional ship could buy them some minutes.

You could be right, maybe they were going to create a tachyon grid. But from "Redemption" we know that you need far more ships for such a grid to be effective. Furthermore, we could speculate that a tachyon grid would have been useless anyway since the Scimitar used a new type of cloaking device (fire while cloaked, I wonder where they got that from. At least Shinzon didn't quote Shakespere. [Smile] )

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Defensive Pattern Kirk Epsilon, and the MSD for the Ent-E does indeed look like its devided into 29 decks, but they seem uneven, the ones in the secondary hull appear to be offset from the ones in the saucer.

Additionally, it appears the Ent-E had the ability to detect taycon emmisions from cloaked ships by itself, as LaForge was doing before he stated "his cloak is perfect".

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even of the Nova was the class ship and the entire fleet was ready or preparing for battle, I'd see no problem with the Nova being there. Perhaps Janeway told Starfleet what happened with the Equinox and so Starfleet understood that the Novas could take a pounding in battle and survive. It could even have led up to the refitted Novas like the alternate-future Rhode Island.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible not all Novas are explorers, the same that not all Mirandas are freighters obviously (ala Brattain).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe this argument is even going on. The Nova from NEM is clearly not the class ship of the Equinox and Rhode Island because of the registry. There's been plenty of time for something to happen to the Nova-class prototype and for it to have been replaced.

Who's got the film on VCD? Will someone please check the brief shot near the beginning of the stellar cartography scene where all the names and regs are shown in closeup? I'd like to be positively sure of all the NCCs. I'm pretty confidant that I saw the last digit of the Archer's as a 6, but it went by pretty fast...

Alas, the lines concerning both the Hemingway and the Talos were cut. But I think I'll leave them on my list for now, with that disclaimer in the annotations. After all, shooting scripts are just about canon as far as I'm concerned, (STIII's Intrepid) and deleted scenes most definitely are. (INS's Ticonderoga.) Since we can't tell for sure at the moment if either NEM line was filmed and scrapped or if they were simply dropped during scriopt revision, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. If they cut an hour out of the film, these scenes were probably part of it.

Interesting shuttles/workbees in the spacedock at the end. They looked like they had kind of Steamrunner-ish catamarrans.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMOM: You can't say that the Nova was clearly another ship, given the numerous instances of offbeat registry numbers.

Boris

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only instance we have EVER had of a class ship with a higher registry than any known member of her class is that of the U.S.S. Constitution.

And, needless to say, I'm not gonna touch that one with a sixteen-and-a-half-foot pole...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMOM:

If Starfleet is so orderly, why does it allow such things as Relativity-G, Yamato-E, or Enterprise-A,B,C,D...not to mention the Yamato changing its registry number a few episodes later?

If Starfleet is so orderly, why does it allow Prometheus NX-59650?

If Starfleet is so orderly, why does it allow Sao Paulo 75633 -> Defiant 74205?

If Starfleet is so orderly, why does it allow Brattain to be misspelled into Brittain?

If Starfleet is so orderly, why does it allow the U.S.S. Nash, NCC-2010-B?

What probably happened is that the project was Nova-class development project with the U.S.S. Noble being a designated testbed that was never to be commissioned. Then, the Galaxy Replacement Project came along and took over the name, so Starfleet decided to commission the Noble first and hold back the Nova as the designated testbed. The Equinox's dedication plaque supposedly reads Noble-class, suggesting that the first ship commissioned was in fact the U.S.S. Noble.

A little time passes and the Nova-class Galaxy Replacement Project is abandoned. The Noble-class ships are now in service, and the poor Nova is just standing there doing nothing. Starfleet decides to commission the ship, gives it a current registry number, and renames the class Nova according to the testbed (it just couldn't get over the stolen name which sounds better than Noble). The stranded Equinox, on the other hand, retains the Noble-class designation.

Boris

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Every point you note is an explicitly established fact that we cannot get arounf without inventing some kind of explanation. But this is not so with the NEM Nova. There's no reason to come up with some elaborate excuse for its registry, when in all likelyhood it WASN'T EVEN INTENDED TO BE THE NOVA-CLASS PROTOTYPE.

As you say, it wouldn't be unheard of for such a mishap to occur, but I cannot fathom why you would *want* to make this ship out to be one. If the Star Fleet Battle Group Omega display included class designations, and the Nova was listed as Nova-class, I'd be right alongside you coming up with a rationalization. But it's NOT. There's no logical reason for taking this ship, which is listed with only a number and not a class, and arbitrarily placing it in a class whose registry range it is well outside of. You're not making much sense.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The technology in the movie was okay. Only two things I had a problem with. The first is the giant pit to nowhere in the Enterprise. Looks like the writers and set designers took a page from Galaxy Quest on that one.

The other one is the mini-transporter unit. I find it darn near impossible to believe that they've managed to cram everything they need to make a one-person transporter unit into something so ridiculously small. And even if they did, how could the thing even work? The little sucker gets transported too, which would mean the emitter, pattern buffer, and transition coils would all be converted into a datastream themselves. Bleh.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu: "Alright, now we've given them something else to shoot at."

While I doubt a Nova would have superior sensors to a Galaxy or Intrepid, they would probably be worth having around. Also, for all we know her crew was really smart at detecting cloaked ships, and weren't willing to give up as easily as Geordi "There's nothing I can do" LaForge. At the very least, she could run a delaying action while the bigger guns tried the firepower route. We know that a Nova is no match for an Intrepid, but a phaser beam is a phaser beam - given the shoot-to-detect gambit Picard used, they could have easily kept the Nova in reserve for just that. And as we know, a Nova can put up a stiff fight before she'd be salsaed.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

Have we ever seen an example of a ship being named after a current class?

Boris

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really, no. Some people think there have been new starships named Excelsior and Constellation since their mention in The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, respectively, would put them well past their prime. However, nothing completely and irrefutably canon-wise has been given to say that those two were the original starships or not (aside from an off-the-record remark in the Encyclopedia and a Trek 'zine article).

Of course, there are those who think the Enterprise from Star Trek's II through VI was an Enterprise-class starship.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siggy: Sternbach has suggested that within "deeper layers" of subspace, larger amounts of data and energy can be found or stored - this is the basis of potential increases in suspace communication range as outlined in the DS9 tech manual, which certainly applied to the Pathfinder mission's hyper-subspace technological advances later on. Assuming that a micro-quantum tunneling phenomenon (not unlike the slipstream drive) can "burrow" to a deep enough layer of subspace to act as a sufficent capacitor for a temporary matter stream accomodating one humanoid transportee, the buffer problem is thus solved. The machinery necesary to tap into and reconstruct/transmit the stream can be accounted for by quantum physics as well, given that one of the most prominent proprties of quanta is the ability to exist in multiple states - and multiple places - simultaneously, provided an outside observation is not made within normal 5-D space-time. Replication and the quantum technology could thus be combined with an adequate power source to effectively create a quantum-sustained micro-device with the ability to exist as a full-featured transporter in direct correlation with the amount of power the unit carries.

In short, the micro-transporter works just fine, as long as you don't look too closely at it. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Mark, I hope you realize you just lost me after you said "Siggy." [Smile]

I'll take your advice and not look at it too closely.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps