Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Nemesis Tech (You'd better believe there are $poilers in here)
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the giant pit, they could've been on an upper level. It's fairly clear that deck numbers do not always equal level numbers.

Defiant: 4 levels, at least 5 decks
Ent-A: ~21 levels, at least 78 decks
Ent-E: 24 levels, at least 26 decks (FC).
Ent-E: 24 levels, at least 29 decks (Nemesis).
Enterprise: the deck letters in dialogue supposedly do not correspond to observed damage (I haven't seen the show so I can't verify).

There will be more examples. It's fairly clear that Starfleet's deck designations are more like addresses -- after all, if all you're doing is traveling by turbolift, what's the purpose of a regular system? It's easier to say Deck 78 than Deck 13, Section 5C.

In the future, the writers simply need to affirm this system by using deck numbers that are so high that no viewer can confuse them for level numbers (i.e. Deck 132 instead of Deck 4, section 6), with a few *carefully planned* references to "Level 5, Deck 78" or "Level 3, Deck 6", as well as a couple of hallways labeled "132..133" as we run along. This ought to clear up the confusion for any viewer.

BTW, Babylon 5 had the exact same problem, but they seem to have fixed it later on. In the early shows, they referred excessively to things like "Red 5, Level 3" or "Brown 7, Level 2", supposedly because the station was divided into discrete colored cylinders divided into 36 pie slices (10 degrees each). So you'd specify the sector color first, then the section, and then the level of the section.

After a while, we began to see Blue offices in the Garden and Brown areas all over the station (basically, wherever the story required them), with the obvious conclusion that the associated numbers couldn't stand for section numbers any more, or we'd have such cases as multiple Blue 5's all over the station.

Guess what -- starting with season 2, we lose the "level" and gain higher numbers after the color, resulting in Brown 95, Blue 95 and similar designations. The numbers sometimes correspond to levels, sometimes not -- they basically seem to be addresses distinguishing the Blue patch in the Garden from the Blue patch near the Zocalo.

Boris

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like some folks are troubled by a few of the ships present (as far as types go) in the battle group. According to lines in the movie... the ships in the group were basically circling the wagons and not purposely heading to do battle with anyone. One of the lines spoken referred to "safety in numbers." Apparently all the ships in a given locale were diverted to rendevous with each other and stay grouped up just in case the Scimitar showed up to lay waste.....so with this in mind, you would most likely have ALL different kinds of ships, scouts, cruisers, explorers, etc., in this group. Calling the group a battle group was probably an indication that Starfleet expected trouble and was at a high alert level.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
[...] Sternbach has suggested that within "deeper layers" of subspace, larger amounts of data and energy can be found or stored - this is the basis of potential increases in suspace communication range as outlined in the DS9 tech manual, which certainly applied to the Pathfinder mission's hyper-subspace technological advances later on. Assuming that a micro-quantum tunneling phenomenon (not unlike the slipstream drive) can "burrow" to a deep enough layer of subspace to act as a sufficent capacitor for a temporary matter stream accomodating one humanoid transportee, the buffer problem is thus solved. The machinery necesary to tap into and reconstruct/transmit the stream can be accounted for by quantum physics as well, given that one of the most prominent proprties of quanta is the ability to exist in multiple states - and multiple places - simultaneously, provided an outside observation is not made within normal 5-D space-time. Replication and the quantum technology could thus be combined with an adequate power source to effectively create a quantum-sustained micro-device with the ability to exist as a full-featured transporter in direct correlation with the amount of power the unit carries. [...]

Umm... Indeed. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shipbuilder:
[QB...the ships in the group were basically circling the wagons and not purposely heading to do battle with anyone.[/QB]

No wonder it didn't work. Circling the wagons is a Hollywood fabrication that never actually happened. Starfleet admirals would be better off not studying those "historical documents" called "Wagon Train". [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris, I've seen this deck/level explanation of yours posted before and although creative...I just think its too far of a stretch to make up for mispoken deck numbers. Taking the E-D For example, the TNGTM specifically states that the primary hull has Decks 01 to 16 and the engineering hull has Decks 08 to 42, now are we supposed to assume that it is a complete coincidence that these Deck numbers correspond exactly with the number of your "levels" that are shown on the E-D's MSD?

The statements are located in the Internal Coordinate System section (2.2) and it clearly shows that the 2 digit deck numbers are unique identifiers. Starfleet already has an addressing system for their starships (at least fully detailed for the E-D) and it uses deck numbers as the lead identifiers. Granted, your theory makes up for mistakes made by the writers, but it just doesn't make logical sense.

Maybe we'll get lucky in a few years and get a Sovereign class TM in the ST mag...and just maybe by then they'll have it sorted out. [Wink]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if the battle group that the Enterprise-E was suppose to meet would have shown the USS Archer as an Akira Class... Oh and the USS Valiant's registry seems to correspond to the USS Sao Paulo.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old Sao Paulo was NCC-75633, different from the 'new' Valiant's number.

The Archer's number is 44xxx so it's way too early a number for Akira Class ships. It's closer to, but later than, the second major batch of Excelsiors. It's an old ship to be sure.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the new Valiant could be still a Defiant Class.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new Valiant could possibly even be another Sovereign Class.... [Smile]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Or any of a dozen currently-produced classes. Sad part is, we'll probably never know..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Damn bastard!!!

--------------------

P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe by the time the crew caught up with the boarding party, they had gone up a few lwvels, and could the pit have possibly been the Warp Core containment shaft?
IP: Logged
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it didn't look like the warp core shaft, that would be cool to see and much more likely then a generic bottomless pit.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had originally thought that maybe it was a elevator shaft that allowed rapid transport of spare parts from storage to those maintenance corridors. However, I had to dismiss the idea when I remembered that there was a catwalk spanning it.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The catwalk could be retractible... Plus, it could also be an unused storage area for something big, like a reserve warp core. Hey, Voyager had one...

Another option is that the shaft could hae been created by empty space between rooms. Earlier work has established that a starship's internal volume is not static - rooms are installed and removed around the internal skeleton, whether by construction or transporter-swapping. What we could have been seeing is the space created when smaller rooms (modular labs, storage bays, etc.)are installed into a space where larger rooms could be placed. The catwalk could be a removable thing that was meant to bridge the gaps between the J-tubes.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps